Assistance with OTA Reception.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

garyljs

Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
I currently have a RadioShack VU-190 XR Antenna mounted in my attic with a Winegard HDA-200 Distribution Amplifier and the FM Trap set to "in" and a 4-way splitter. The antenna was aimed using compass orientation from antennaweb.com. I have included anntennaweb.com channel reception information below.
I currently have a RadioShack VU-190 XR Antenna mounted in my attic with a Winegard HDA-200 Distribution Amplifier and the FM Trap set to "in" and a 4-way splitter. The antenna was aimed using compass orientation from antennaweb.com. I have included anntennaweb.com channel reception information below.
HD Channel 4-1 pixelates intermittently, HD Channels 9-1, 9-2, 9-3 and 9-4 pixelate intermittently or the signal strength is too weak to receive the stations intermittently. The remaining HD Channel reception is good and all Analog station reception is a little snowy.
If the FM Trap is set to "out", then none of the HD Channel 9 series channels can be received.
I tested bypassing the Distribution Amplifier and splitter on 1 TV, only HD Channel 4-1 was tested and the channel could not be picked up at all without the Distribution Amplifier.
About 10 houses away are high tension lines in the direct line of reception.
I am trying to determine if the addition of a Channel Master 7777 Pre-Amplifier could offer any improvement in reception or if another antenna may offer better reception when restricted to attic mounting because of Homeowner Association restrictions.
Another option I do have would be to mount a smaller antenna such as Antenna Direct XG-91 or Winegard 9032 outside about 8' above ground on a deck post where my dish network dish was previously mounted. The direct line of reception is partially blocked by my neighbors roof over his deck. However, I am not sure there would be any benefit to mounting the antenna outside at this height.
Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks,
DTV​
Antenna
Type​
Call Sign​
Channel​
Network​
City​
State​
Live
Date​
Compass
Orientation​
Miles
From​
Frequency
Assignment​
yellow - uhf
KTVI-DT
FOX
St. Louis
MO
140°
green - uhf
K22HG
TBN
ST CHARLES
MO
146°
lt green - vhf
KTVI
FOX
ST. LOUIS
MO
140°
lt green - vhf
KETC
PBS
ST. LOUIS
MO
146°
red - uhf
KETC-DT
PBS
ST. LOUIS
MO
146°
red - vhf
KMOV
CBS
ST. LOUIS
MO
134°
red - vhf
KSDK
NBC
ST. LOUIS
MO
133°
red - uhf
KSDK-DT
NBC
ST. LOUIS
MO
133°
red - uhf
KNLC
FMN
ST. LOUIS
MO
166°
red - uhf
KDNL
ABC
ST. LOUIS
MO
131°
red - uhf
KDNL-DT
ABC
ST. LOUIS
MO
131°
red - vhf
KPLR
CW
ST. LOUIS
MO
134°
red - uhf
KPLR-DT
CW
ST. LOUIS
MO
132°
red - uhf
WRBU
MNT
EAST ST. LOUIS
IL
160°
blue - uhf
KMOV-DT
CBS
ST. LOUIS
MO
134°
violet - uhf
KUMO-LP
IND
ST. LOUIS
MO
126°
violet - uhf
WRBU-DT
MNT
E. ST. LOUIS
IL
160°
violet - uhf
KNLC-DT
FMN
ST. LOUIS
MO
166°

I experienced similar problems with an attic antenna a couple of years back. Bought a different antenna and installed it outdoors. My problems totally cleared up. The attic install caused so many problems for me that I don't recommend it for anyone.

According to information read on Antenna Web (I believe), your homeowner association cannot restrict an antenna mount according to Federal Law. You can put up any antenna you want no matter what their rules say.

According to information read on Antenna Web (I believe), your homeowner association cannot restrict an antenna mount according to Federal Law. You can put up any antenna you want no matter what their rules say.

Not exactly accurate. There are some "unless" and "ifs" in the Federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 that does provide some restriction possibilities. Safety (i.e., height limit), antenna diameter limit (1 meter), unless a common OTA antenna feed is provided, etc. Suggest read the text in the FCC website.

1 meter is for dish. not antenna, only limit on ant. is height, above roof. 12 feet

The 1996 Federal TCA covered more than just free OTA antennas. It covered Satellite dishes too. And local governments can forbid you to use them under certain conditions and if they provide a free feed from a common antenna. I see this as more applicable to high rise apartment or condo complexes than to single family homes. It's a complicated compilation of legaleze and somewhat difficult to read, but there are some built-in restrictions that could potentially prevent a homeowner from placing an outside antenna for free OTA.

I don't like it, but that's the way it is written.

Pointing your antenna by compass might not be accurate enough. Are you taking into account the mgnetic deviation? You would be better to point while you have a small tv out by your antenna to monitor the signal strength. Also, your atic can reduce the signal greatly. Location can make just as big of difference as well. Moving the antenna to another part of the atic may increase or decrease your signal. If you are getting a weak signal, you might get by by adding a pre-amp, but if there is no signal to amplify, then a pre-amp will not help. In general, to get a greater signal strength you need:
larger antenna i.e. more DB gain
Direction of antenna facing
Eliminate noise or interfering signals
More height
Amplification of signal (i.e. a pre-amp with good gain and low noise)
Location of antenna (i.e. dead spots)
Low loss cable
eliminate splitters
Shorter cable length

Some of these you have control of, others you will not.

Pointing your antenna by compass might not be accurate enough. Are you taking into account the mgnetic deviation?

Recommend go to tvfool.com and enter your address. It will give you both true and magnetic bearings from your address to the transmitters. In my location, the difference is only 4 deg 19 minutes. With a wide antenna beamwidth (60 degs) using magnetic vs true was irrelevant. In other locations or antennas with narrow beamwidths, it could be more critical.

From what i have seen while messing with OTA to me is just a matter of adjusting and readjusting the antenna. i have tried to put it up high and down low. right now my antenna comes in the best by just sitting it on the ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)