Assistance would be greatly appreciated

ronananda

Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
72W 41N
To start with, I am a complete newbie novice at this hobby. I lurked in here last fall, trying to pick up as much information I could before I launched into the project of trying to set my system up.
This is my second post. My first I mis-posted in the sticky section, and Radar kindly responded to that question very fully. It had to do with USALs, setting up the motor to know where I was.
I have a Sadoun 90t dish, combined with a powertech 380 motor to drive it. I have an invacom QPH-031 lnb. I have one diseque switch to absorb the two rg6 connections coming off of the Invacom, into a single rg6 to the powertech, and then about 70 feet of rg6 to my azbox hd premium plus receiver. I am running an hdmi from the receiver directly into the tv.

I am at Lo 72w, Lat 41 n (on the end long island, new york).
I mounted the dish on my roof, about 20' off the ground. The mast is 2" galvanized pipe. The pipe is lag screwed into 4x4 post that I mounted flush to the side of my house. I was very careful about installing the mast, and I can say with authority that it is dead plumb all the way around.
I set the lattitude on the motor, and made the compensation on the dish elevation. I started at true south, which for me is magnetic 194 degrees.
It did take some fine tuning still, but with the little satellite finder, I have reached the point now where I am getting good signals on all the satellites that I am attempting to hit.
I have found that when I first go to a satellite in azbox, that I do not have quality on any transponders. But if I blind scan the satellite, I have very good quality on most of the transponders, ranging from 87 to 100 percent.
Initially, I just said "yes", and downloaded the whole satellite, and got hundreds of stations. All scrambled except for "amber", and "info". I was pleased that I saw my first picture, a movie preview station for a canada service.
But there were no FTA stations in the whole lot. I then manually got rid of the stations that I did not want. When I got rid of the last one, azbox said "no signal". I ended up reinstalling the fw, and that problem went away.
I know realize also that going through data reset I can eliminate all the stations, and get a clean start that way. I did that once also, and that was clean and did not lead to a "no signal" problem.
I have learned to be more selective. Now I blind scan, and say "no" when it asks if I want to save the stations. After doing that, I go and selectively look at individual transponders that correspond to lyngsat data, or fta lists of where particular stations may be.
However I have found that what the transponder indicated on lyngsat to be the location of a station, eg PBS on AMC 21 (12140, 12180) that those transponders are not present in my tp scan of AMC 21. And the ones that are "close", have no quality at all. The quality are all tp's that are commercial/scrambled channels.
So, I am perplexed, bemused and confused, and would appreciate any help I can get from the community.
One thought I had was that maybe my primary orientation at "zero" was off enough that I was not hitting the sats I thought I was hitting. Is there a way to identify what satellite I am on not based on pre-loaded information in azbox?
Bottom line: I am not getting available fta channels, and need help problem solving at this point.
TIA. Ron

Sound like you have hit / hitting the DishNet and or BellVu Sats - they are very easy to hit.

You should have the receiver drive the Motor to Zero
Remove the Diseqc Switch, and connect to the "L" port on the QPH031 LNB
In the Receiver's Antenna Setup Menu, in the Sat List find the AMC6 Ku Sat, set LNB type to Standard, and L.O. to 10750
Select a known Hot Transponder and Peak Signal
Here are some Hot TPs on AMC 6....
SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - 72.0°W AMC 6 Ku

If you can drag a TV and Receiver to the Dish, it does make it easier.

Lak 7, I thank you for your response. I did what you suggested, took the circular feed off line, and re-scanned some sats with much better results. I am getting FTA now. I still have some fine tuning todo, but the signal and quality is there. Thanks again. Ron

Could it be possible that the DiseqC setting for Linear birds (under Dish settings) was not properly set then? Lets say if you use DiseqC port 1 for Circular then you should set DiseqC port 2 for the rest of Linear birds like AMC 21. That would explain not getting any linear signal (only pay providers like DN or Bell) at all.

I don't know enough yet to comment with any kind of authority. I know that would ideally like to think that I could adjust the DiseqC to that I would be getting either or one or the other feeds. It makes sense, but for now, I just eliminated the switch and ran a singel rg6 from the L port to the sat motor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts