at-250 vs fios tv

ronfelder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
south jersey
i'm trying to find out the pros and cons between the at-250 package, 522 receiver also a 301 for the thrisd tv against fios tv. i'd like to know how the channel package compares program and price wise. same with the 522 dvr and verizon's dvr dual tuner that allows viewing in multi rooms. i've heard that fios pq is better than E*. is it really? i feed by s-vdoe to a 27" jvc from 1990. perhaps it's the age of the tv but E* looks great to me. Once in awhile i'll see pixellating. But today i saw on hd on a sony some pixellating.

opinions and thoughts appreciated. it's not here yet fios, but would like to hear everyones thoughts. so far it looks to me the channel lineup and receiver E* is better. i know i want the interent from them. right now i'm with veriszon for dsl.

Ron

One problem with fios I've heard of is that you can only get one program feed at a time, no multiple DVR's or tuners per household. No experience, just what I heard.

From what I have read in the Verizon FiOS forum and elsewhere that is not true. FiOS works just like cable TV, except that none of the digital channels are in the clear. They use Motorola cable boxes similar to those that cable TV companies use, they offer CableCARDs, and you can use your TiVo, even the Series 3 HD model.

I left Dish for FiosTV several years ago because of price and PQ. Now I'm considering switching back with Dish's mpeg4 compression giving great PQ and the fact that Fios appears to have good prices, but being a telco, you soon see that there are a lot of added surcharges making a pretty high bill. You won't get any idea of upcoming channels and only updated letters of price increases. It's Verizon afterall.

That and now that both Dish and Direct have about 20 more HD channels... not sure what to do. Oh, and if you swith to Fios, expect nothing but headaches with their awful billing dept. Got to forums and read many horror stories, some of which I've experienced myself.