at-9 h20

Status
Please reply by conversation.
sltmag said:
I have one more question to those do it yourself-ers. If the receiver is already activated, will the the MPEG-4 channels be automatically picked up once the dish is installed or do I have to call Directv to have them turned on. I ask because I am in the NYC market and the channels are showing up in the guide. When I tune to them the receiver searches. Just asking because it would be kind of cool if I could compare the mpeg2 feed to the mpeg4 before D* turns the former off.

I have both. Didn't have to do anything to get the MPEG4 feeds, they were just their.

They say future Ka satellites at 2 degree spacing could cause the AT9 to get interference if it’s not aligned per the instructions. The AT9 can’t be aligned the best it can be to counter rain fade unless you do it right. Don’t take my word on this, obviously someone who knows all the facts designed this thing and the procedures to make it work right. I thought this forum was to share info, learn about new stuff and improve your D*, E*, FTA, etc experience. If this was a car forum and someone was posting to toss your feeler gauges in the trash to set your spark plugs by eyeball or to unscrew them ½ turn to get more horsepower, I would certainly speak up and say that’s bogus, follow the car manual. That’s all I’m doing here. Doing what Dragon002 says for the AT9 is incorrect and is a disservice to users, unless he is the guy with all the facts who designed the thing. The AT9 is not like any previous dishes, it has special needs and requires attention to detail. I received training on the AT9, heard all the techno talk and facts. How about Dragon002? Maybe the SBCA folks need to recall a certain 6yr tech and go over some more training cuz I certainly don’t him aligning my AT9!
Bob
sltmag said:
What dragon is saying makes some sense. I have watched the setup videos multiple times now, and what I can gather is that the the extra fine tuning should not be necessary if you can peak the signal from 101 and 119 in the high 90s. I believe the manual even says that you are now trying to tune the dish to a satellite that may or may not be active. If I get a 95 at 101 and a 98 at 119, what could I possibly be missing by fine tuning further? I'm ready to give this a go myself.

Doing what Dragon002 says for the AT9 is incorrect and is a disservice to users, unless he is the guy with all the facts who designed the thing. The AT9 is not like any previous dishes, it has special needs and requires attention to detail.

Bob,

I am not saying you are wrong, or that the tools supplied with the Dish to fine tune are totally useless. What I am suggesting, is that in some cases, they might not be necessary at all. I really don't remember if it was the video or manual that said that when you align to 101, you are aligning to a satellite that might or might not be active. If the satellite is inactive, how can you fine tune the dish to something that is not there, when you have already achieved great results with 101, 110, and 119.

Let's just say I don't fine tune and receive 100 across 100, 110, and 119. Shouldn't I assume that I have the best signal I can get for 95? If someone is in an area that has trouble getting a signal out of the 80's I can see how fine tuning really would be a benefit. If I need to fine tune, I certainly will.

The way it was explained to me is peaking the AT9 simply for max signal (at 101) will leave you with enough error, maybe only a fraction of a degree but enough to cause possible problems with future satellites. The Ka side is also narrower and since a wider Ku side is used for peaking, the procedure in the manual has to be followed. I heard if you were to peak on the 99 or 103 Ka slot it would mess things up because the two slots appear a little closer or farther apart depending on your location. Crazy stuff, but I can see if you peak on say 99, you could be deliberately screwing up 103 if this is the case. It seems easy enough to just follow the procedure and not skimp, especially if you’re in the business and hired to do so. Customers, D* and E* all depend on the knowledge and expertise of the installer to deliver the goods from the hardware end. Apparently some installers have not had specific AT9 training or experience or maybe don’t care (hate to think that) and treat the AT9 like an 18” dish when peaking.
Bob
sltmag said:
Bob,
I am not saying you are wrong, or that the tools supplied with the Dish to fine tune are totally useless. What I am suggesting, is that in some cases, they might not be necessary at all. I really don't remember if it was the video or manual that said that when you align to 101, you are aligning to a satellite that might or might not be active. If the satellite is inactive, how can you fine tune the dish to something that is not there, when you have already achieved great results with 101, 110, and 119.
Let's just say I don't fine tune and receive 100 across 100, 110, and 119. Shouldn't I assume that I have the best signal I can get for 95? If someone is in an area that has trouble getting a signal out of the 80's I can see how fine tuning really would be a benefit. If I need to fine tune, I certainly will.

I would have to agree with the little guy on going through all the motions with the AT9, especially you installers! It’s not your mothers old 18” dish.
Rick

I agree with dragon002

Hi all,

I'm not at all a professional installer but I have installed quite a few Phase III dishes as well as four of the new At-9dishes. I agree with dragon002 with exception to the mast (I have never installed on an out of plumb mast). I went through all the steps that Direct TV says to do and got excellent results. On my second install, Just for kicks and giggles I omitted the fine tuning procedures and checked my signals. then I did the fine tuning and discovered that the signals were actually THE EXACT SAME. Naturally I thought I must have just gotten lucky, so I didn't think much of it. The third dish I installed yeilded the exact same results. Hummmmm! And guess what It happened again on the fourth install. So my conclusision................If you pre-set the dish up correctly, plumb the mast, and get the highest possible signals on the 101, 110, and 119. I'll almost guarantee the 103 and 99 will be on the money. Just my 2 cents. By the way have had several bad T-storms with absolutely no rain fade and the 103 spot beam read at least 95 during the storm.

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth,

I just completed installing the AT9 this week and after using the Acutrac Pro 22 for about a hour and not getting great readings on my signal meter, I went to my old fashion way of installing the round and the oval dish. I used my cordless phone sets on intercom/speaker and used the H-20 signal meter, set to the 101 sat, got the best reading on it (85+), then changed the H-20 to the 119 sat and rotated the tilt for best reading on it (listening to the beeps) (85+ also). Went back to 101 sat. Still excellent (85+). Used fine tuning screws to maximize signal. Checked the 119 again. Great still (85+). Switched over to the 110 sat and was 85+ also. Switched over to 103 sat and it was 95 signal strength.

With the 103 showing the strongest signal I'm probably aiming just a shade right of the 101 and I may have to re-adjust when the 99 sat is put into use. We'll see.

My only problem (after the upgrades downloaded to the H-20) was that on my Chicago locals (MPEG4) only, I'm getting a little interference or something about every 5-6 seconds. I get 5.1DD audio dropout and just a tiny bit of microblocking. It only lasts for a moment then returns to normal for 5-6 seconds then happens again. As I said, it's only on the MPEG4 channels.

My only problem (after the upgrades downloaded to the H-20) was that on my Chicago locals (MPEG4) only, I'm getting a little interference or something about every 5-6 seconds. I get 5.1DD audio dropout and just a tiny bit of microblocking. It only lasts for a moment then returns to normal for 5-6 seconds then happens again. As I said, it's only on the MPEG4 channels.

I am getting the same issue in NY. Must be something with the MPEG4. It is bothersome and I hope D* works it out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)