AT-9 with Diplexer for SD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dervari

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Ok, I need to add a SD receiver to record my wife's BBC theme shows. I'm tired of our ReplayTV changing the H20 channel while I'm in the middle of watching something HD. I have an old RCA receiver in the basement gathering dust and want to use it. Can I use a diplexer on one of the H20 multiswitch outputs if it's going to be used for SD only?

I guess I need to find out also...can I use the AT-9 with an old RCA SD receiver at all?

Why won't the Diplexer work if I'm only going to be getting the Ku signal? I thought the whole reason that it wouldn't work was due to the Ka overlapping UHF.
Then again...if I have satellite to that room I guess I wouldn't need the CATV run. :)

Last edited:
before we hear from the stacking/de-stacking crowd and your basement looks like a cable head-end, do your self a favor, run another coax, keep it simple, reliable and inexpensive.

happy new year and good luck.

the main reason it wont work is if you split the signal with a diplexer, the hd ird would lose the 101 slot and wouldnt work at all. as i have said before, all directv irds have to stay locked to the 101 to operate.

The problem is that I don't have any room left in my cable trough to run another coax. The diplexer would only be on the run from the dish to the SD receiver.

Anyway, I just called DTV and they offered me a new receiver for $15 and a new access card would be $20. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. :)

I have not specifically tried this yet but you should be able to diplex the non-Ka receivers just fine with an AT9 dish. The diplexer has high pass/low pass around 900mhz that will reduce or eliminate the 250-750mhz interference to your off air TV from the low Ka LNB output. Just don't diplex the H-20.
Bob

little dish,

he is not trying to diplex an ota antenna with the sat signals. he is trying to run two irds off of one coax. the sd would work as long as that is the side he used off of the diplexer, but on the ant side all he would have is the hd signal. the hd ird would then unlock without the 101 being fed to it.

Sorry, I’m confused. I paid more attention to post #3 which led me to believe there was OTA or CATV needed at the same location as a SD receiver and a diplexer could work there. Post #1 does sound like the intent was to use a diplexer for two separate IRDs from one feed and we know that doesn’t work. I’m still confused…
Bob

No, what I'm trying to do is run two IRDs. One H20 with a straight coax and another D10/11 with the sat signal diplexed with CATV. Two cables leaving the AT-9. One straight to the H20 and another to the D10/11. I currently have three coax cables fished through my trough. 2 CATV and one Sat. I'll leave the H20 with two of them (CATV/Sat) and diplex the D10/11 off the one remaining coax if I can.

It sounds like one area gets the H20 with separate Sat and CATV cables and another area gets the D10/11 with diplexed CATV on a single coax. I read that you will be reconfiguring your two CATV and one Sat cable lineup to two Sats and one CATV to accomplish this. That should work fine. The only problems I see are if you use a really crappy diplexer that doesn’t reject the 250-750mhz future Ka signals enough and the CATV is especially weak. Even then a Ka transponder would have to land on the weak CATV channels to cause a problem on the diplexed line. If you are doing something different than what I understand, I hope others will chime in and set things straight.
Bob

That's exactly what I'm wanting to do! :)

I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work, the only channel I'd be missing that I'm interested in is CSS, and only because Clay Nation airs there. I'd still get the SD locals over sat.

Thanks!

again, run a seperate coax, you wont regret it later

happy new year , the bud light and lambrusco is kicking in, im playing BLITZ THE LEAGUE with one son and downloading tunes on the youngest ones IZ

Nope...one receiver is in the main room and the new one will be in the basement and used for streaming over my network.

I can't run a separate coax easily. My "trough" from the attic to the basement is chock full. :(

dervari said:
Nope...one receiver is in the main room and the new one will be in the basement and used for streaming over my network.
I can't run a separate coax easily. My "trough" from the attic to the basement is chock full. :(

oh ok thought the other rec was just down there not hooked up.

dervari said:
No, what I'm trying to do is run two IRDs. One H20 with a straight coax and another D10/11 with the sat signal diplexed with CATV. Two cables leaving the AT-9. One straight to the H20 and another to the D10/11. I currently have three coax cables fished through my trough. 2 CATV and one Sat. I'll leave the H20 with two of them (CATV/Sat) and diplex the D10/11 off the one remaining coax if I can.
dervari,

What you propose will likely work for quite some time--until you want a channel that moves to the lower Ka range.:) And that isn't likely for quite some time.

The big trick is ensuring that the diplexer close to the AT-9 filters out the lower frequencies from the sat. side. You may have to test a bit.

Better yet, get a DVR, dump CATV. :)

Happy New Year!
Tom

tibber said:
dervari,

Better yet, get a DVR, dump CATV. :)

Well, once the channels move to the lower Ka range, the SD receiver will probably be obsolete. :)

Can't get a D* DVR and dump cable. This setup is going to be "remote" and stream video to my main replaytv in the family room. We need to keep cable for the other rooms because the wife wants to be able to simply turn on the TV and watch. LOL

dervari said:
Well, once the channels move to the lower Ka range, the SD receiver will probably be obsolete. :)
Can't get a D* DVR and dump cable. This setup is going to be "remote" and stream video to my main replaytv in the family room. We need to keep cable for the other rooms because the wife wants to be able to simply turn on the TV and watch. LOL
LOL, I know the problem. Thankfully, my wife doesn't have an issue with set top boxes. But my mother-in-law is getting to the point where turning the TV on/off is occassionally even an issue. So we kept basic, basic, basic cable for her. In our area, that actually isn't that limited and keeps her happy.

Cheers,
Tom

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts