At current rate, PS3 may sell less than GameCube

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Based on the first 10 months of availability, the troubled PlayStation 3 sold 22 percent less than the Nintendo GameCube for the same period.

137448-1-1.jpg

According to the NPD, a firm that tracks North American hardware sales, the PS3 sold 1,742,000 units in its first 10 months of availability compared with 2,120,000 GameCube units.

The GameCube, released by Nintendo in 2001 to compete with Sony's PS2 and Microsoft's original Xbox, is largely seen as a failure. Although commercially successfully (to a degree), the GameCube only managed to sell 22 million systems worldwide compared with 24 million Xbox units and 115 million PS2 machines.

"We're in a position where we're having to play catch-up," PlayStation president Kaz Hirai recently said in an interview with Spong regarding the struggling PS3. Hirai went on to blame "production issues" for his console's slow start before denying widespread belief that the PS3 launch price was too high.

Source: At current rate, PS3 may sell less than GameCube | PS3 News | GamePro.com

I think this is almost 100% due to pricepoint. There were other factors, but obviously the PS3 is a much better console than the Gamecube. Much more potential, (debatable) a larger brand to launch from (ie PS2 installed base), etc.

Sony is in the hole they are because they were so bleeding edge they couldn't afford to put their console at a price that could properly compete due to the already huge losses they were eating on their high price.

I think you're overlooking the lack of compelling software. The PS3 was late to its class party and everybody noticed. I'd be willing to wager that thousands of units were purchased with the idea of using them as Blu-Ray players.

Many systems that came before had far superior capabilities than their classmates, but it was never realized. Remember the Neo Geo? The Atari Lynx? Sega Saturn anyone?

I think you're overlooking the lack of compelling software. The PS3 was late to its class party and everybody noticed. I'd be willing to wager that thousands of units were purchased with the idea of using them as Blu-Ray players.

Many systems that came before had far superior capabilities than their classmates, but it was never realized. Remember the Neo Geo? The Atari Lynx? Sega Saturn anyone?

Right but given that, it makes the Gamecube even more successful by comparison since it was a pure gaming console and didn't have other uses with the wonky format.

I think you need to retitle this thread... "as of now, it's selling less than Game Cube" would be fine, but to suggest that it will not eventually outstrip it is ludicrous. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and the PS3 has already caught up with the 360 in monthly unit sales. It will almost surely fly past it in the 4th quarter of this year with a huge surge of great games, many of them exclusives, coming out.

Yes, the Wii is far ahead of both the 360 and the PS3 in unit sales, but since it's not really a next-gen console and is aimed at a completely different audience, it's not really a fair comparison.

Also keep in mind that the largest software seller, by a long shot, is still the PS2, so what happens when all of those people are ready to upgrade to a new system and still want to play their old games?

Will PS3 ever catch up with the Wii? Maybe not... but I think it will take the lead over 360 eventually in the "true" next-gen war and will not give it back.

Wow, there are so many things wrong in your post I am going to have to break my response into sections.

I think you need to retitle this thread... "as of now, it's selling less than Game Cube" would be fine, but to suggest that it will not eventually outstrip it is ludicrous.

That is the title of the article, so I named the thread the same.

This is a marathon, not a sprint, and the PS3 has already caught up with the 360 in monthly unit sales.

Picture19.png

As you can see, the PS3 finally matched the sales of the 360 in July '07 due to the price cut. In August, PS3 sales went back down. It has yet to pass the 360 in monthly sales.

It will almost surely fly past it in the 4th quarter of this year with a huge surge of great games, many of them exclusives, coming out.

Uh...what games? The only exclusive games I have seen any hype for on the multiple game boards I post on is, Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Neither will be huge console sellers.

The new $399 20gb PS3 should help sales though.

Yes, the Wii is far ahead of both the 360 and the PS3 in unit sales, but since it's not really a next-gen console and is aimed at a completely different audience, it's not really a fair comparison.

It is the successor of the GameCube, therefore it is a next-gen console.

Also keep in mind that the largest software seller, by a long shot, is still the PS2, so what happens when all of those people are ready to upgrade to a new system and still want to play their old games?

The PS2 is still doing very well, but Madden 360 outsold Madden PS2. The pendulum has swung to next-gen software sales.

As far as upgrading, some will go PS3, some will do as I did and buy a 360, but keep their PS2.

Will PS3 ever catch up with the Wii? Maybe not... but I think it will take the lead over 360 eventually in the "true" next-gen war and will not give it back.

Time will tell.

Just because the 360 version of one title outsold the PS2 version doesn't mean that the "pendulum has swung." I think most of us (the manufacturers included) wish that it had, but it just hasn't yet, at least not in terms of total software sales...

We obviously have different ideas of what constitutes a "next-gen" console. I actually like the Wii, and think it can be fun at parties, but it just doesn't have the horsepower to compete with the PS3 or the 360 long-term, from a hard-core gaming perspective.

I may not have had the current numbers on the monthly sales, but I also didn't say it passed the 360 - just caught it. There are going to be fluctuations month-to-month because of game releases, holidays, etc. I'm sure HALO3 pushed 360 sales up this past month... the first real test will be this holiday season, when there are plenty of good games for both systems and no supply issues for either.

The XBOX360 has outsold the PS3 for the 10th consecutive month (Not counting Halo3 September). Don't you have to outsell the other guy to take the lead over the other guy?

There's no comparison. Gamecube had no real hype with it nor very appealing games at the time. Price wasn't an issue, as it marketed itself as a less expensive system.
PS3 was overhyped and overpriced. The excessive price was not justified because of a lack of games available (and still lacking), and because of its support of a video format that may not be around in 12 months. The PS3 is quite an impressive system, but not justified in its pricing at this time. Once it gets into the $300 area, they'll sell like hotcakes I bet.

I doubt even at 300 they would sell that much.. there's no worth while game on the ps3 that makes me want one.. Final Fantasy has been downhile the whole time on the PS2.. Dragon's quest is coming out on the wii.. grand turismo got old after 3 versions.. the graphics aren't enough..

only reason I would even consider one at this point is for a blu-ray player.. but I dont even think that'll survive..

Since we're all just talking about what we think will happen (myself included), I guess we can go anywhere with this.

I think it's hilarious from one post/thread/forum to another how you'll hear people claim that Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/PS3/360/Wii/Dish/DirecTV or almost anything else is dead, dying, worthless or otherwise, and then the very next one will say exactly the opposite.

Like most things in life, it all comes down to what you're looking for and, to a certain extent, your background. I've always been a PS guy and probably always will be. Mostly for that reason, I favor Blu-Ray and think it's the best.

Let's just all admit that it's our own insecurities and egos driving this whole conversation (none of us wants to admit we bought the wrong one or didn't buy the right one, do we?), and try to get along, shall we?

:)

Here is a non "Fan Boi" perspective:
(I own a GameCube for my kids, and a PS2 & PS3 for myself)

SONY screwed the pooch by putting too much useless junk into the PS3. It is that plain and simple. Why does it need a Blu-Ray player when you can buy one at BB for $300 now, and the one at BB doesn't generate 10,000 BTU of heat nor sound like a lear-jet taking off? Seriously, when it is outside of my Cabinet it is so loud I have to crank my HT up to about 60db to hear the movie, when it is inside it makes all of my other componets blisteringly hot (even though my cabinet is well ventilated). Why does it need wireless ethernet? If you are a serious online gamer you will want the MUCH faster land-line. Why does it need all that memory 60-80g or whatever? they should have gone lower and made upgrades easier. Why do I need all those memory ports, if it has so much HD memory? Why do I need a near-useless web browser that requires a $70 keyboard, when my $400 Dell is much better? They need a stripped down version, like the Gen-2 PS2 black box thing; get it below $300 and people might start buying it. Plus you still have to buy other add-ons to make it convenient (BR remote, Charging station, etc, etc, etc).

Hell, while they were at it they should have put some gold-and-diamond bling badges on it. Hey, how about a friggin fax machine too??? Maybe they should have jumped on the VOIP bandwagon? Maybe a rice steamer, it is japanese after all!!!

SONY should know better by now. They should know "If you build it they will come", only applies to baseball fields...

I think that it is far too early to call the PS3 dead or to call either the Wii or the 360 the "winner" of this generation. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Video Game Chartz, but they have some pretty interesting information and ways of looking at things.

This chart:

Video Game Chartz - Nintendo - Sony - Microsoft - Hardware Comparison Charts

shows the sales numbers for all 3 consoles aligned so that you see how many of each was sold in a certain number of days since that console launched.

As you can see, in the 11 months since the Wii was launched, its Global sales have surpassed that of the 360. What I think is telling though is that on a units sold since days on market basis, the PS3 is pretty much even with the performance of the 360. In fact, at this point, you can't even really distinguish the lines due to the over lap.

Something everyone needs to realize is that the 360 has a one year head start on the other two consoles. Now we're starting to see games like bioshock, halo 3, mass effect and so on and so on hit the 360 and they're awesome. But these are games that have been in development for two or more years now. You can't say the same for the PS3 or even the Wii.

I think that this argument is best saved for around this time next year. If at the two year mark, the PS3 still doesn't have any compelling software and the 3 year old 360 does, then I think you can call the battle done. I don't think this is going to be the case though. I think by this time next year, software for the PS3 is going to begin to look very, very good and it's going to be a much more attractive purchase. Especially when you consider that Sony will most certainly continue to drop the price any chance they get.

I may be coming across as a PS fanboy, and I'll admit that I've never owned any MS hardware, but my main point is that at this point in its lifespan, the PS3 is selling just as well as the 360 did when it was a year old and that it's going to be at least another year before anyone can truly say who is the "winner" and who is the "looser" .

PS. For what it's worth, I own a PS2 and a Wii. Also, I think the Wii is pretty much on its own in this and that the real battle exists between Sony and Microsoft.

I am an avid gamer, and unless i wanted to wire my whole house for ethernet, I had to have a wireless solution to game, and it has given me ZERO issues with gaming (even playing Warhawk with 31 other players). (it would of cost me $79 to add that to my 360)

The Blu-Ray is more there for more than just movies, its their storage medium, you will never hear of a 3-4 disk game on the PS3... already some in the works on the 360, and getting the movie player as a bonus is pretty nice (again another $150 to add that to my 360)

I agree on the card ports, but for alot of peopel it allows easy access to showing off your photos on your TV, I can do it using the network interface, and it really is a nice bonus.

The add-ons are common place with all systems, you have to buy a remote, charger, etc no matter what system you get if you want to use those features, but the controllers work as well.. albeit not the greatest.

Here is a non "Fan Boi" perspective:
(I own a GameCube for my kids, and a PS2 & PS3 for myself)

SONY screwed the pooch by putting too much useless junk into the PS3. It is that plain and simple. Why does it need a Blu-Ray player when you can buy one at BB for $300 now, and the one at BB doesn't generate 10,000 BTU of heat nor sound like a lear-jet taking off? Seriously, when it is outside of my Cabinet it is so loud I have to crank my HT up to about 60db to hear the movie, when it is inside it makes all of my other componets blisteringly hot (even though my cabinet is well ventilated). Why does it need wireless ethernet? If you are a serious online gamer you will want the MUCH faster land-line. Why does it need all that memory 60-80g or whatever? they should have gone lower and made upgrades easier. Why do I need all those memory ports, if it has so much HD memory? Why do I need a near-useless web browser that requires a $70 keyboard, when my $400 Dell is much better? They need a stripped down version, like the Gen-2 PS2 black box thing; get it below $300 and people might start buying it. Plus you still have to buy other add-ons to make it convenient (BR remote, Charging station, etc, etc, etc).

Hell, while they were at it they should have put some gold-and-diamond bling badges on it. Hey, how about a friggin fax machine too??? Maybe they should have jumped on the VOIP bandwagon? Maybe a rice steamer, it is japanese after all!!!

SONY should know better by now. They should know "If you build it they will come", only applies to baseball fields...

Just when I thought I was done with this thread.... "useless junk"?!?

Let's go point-by-point here...

1. Blu-Ray player. Have you heard about some of the new 360 games coming out that require 5-10 DVD's? There are already PS3 games that are using close to the 25 GB capacity of the single-layer BD, and soon they'll be using dual-layer for some of them. The fact that it plays movies is just an added bonus.

2. My PS3 rarely gets loud unless I leave the cabinet door closed. If the door is open, it's fine, unless it's upconverting a PS2 game or a DVD, but even then it's not that bad.

3. Wireless ethernet is a) not that expensive from a hardware perspective, b) essential for people like me who don't want to drill holes all over their walls to run new wires and c) has nothing to do with speed to the internet. The WiFi on the PS3 runs at 54 Mbps - my DSL is only 6 Mbps. I doubt I'm going to have any issues with the speed of the WiFi anytime soon, even if I upgraded to some other kind of internet connection. It's not running wireless public internet - it's just a connection to your home network so that you can use that "faster land line," as you put it.

4. I have the 60GB version and, between game demos, trailers and the few games that require/offer installation onto the hard drive, I've already used 25 GB worth of space. I'd be screwed right now if I had a 20 GB HD. Oh, and by they way, it is easy to upgrade - it's a standard laptop-size HDD.

5. Web browser - well, ok, you got me there.

6. BR remote. Would be nice, but not necessary. I have no problem playing movies using the normal controller. Even if you really want the remote, it's only $19.95 for goodness' sake.

7. Charging station. Why? I've never - repeat NEVER - had to stop playing to charge one of my controllers, even while playing for 5-6 hours. Even if I did, get a cheap USB cable that's longer than the normal one they gave you and play with it plugged in for an hour, and you're good.

And, it's not "if you build it, they will come" it's "if you have good games, they will come." We're getting there...

Oh, and I forgot 8. The memory card ports. They have come in very handy for me at birthday parties and such when people want to see the pictures you just took on the big screen - it's a nice feature. And so is the ability to view pictures and listen to music from my PC using the WiFi....

Why does it need wireless ethernet? If you are a serious online gamer you will want the MUCH faster land-line.

This would only matter if you were holding a LAN party or something. I don't know anyone with an internet connection that is faster than the 54Mbps that Wireless-G runs at. Your connection to the internet itself is going to be the bottle neck in multiplayer games, not the LAN, wired or wireless, that you have in your house.

You folks do make some good points (espesically the BD storage capacity). But for joe-six-pack consumer, the bottom line is price; otherwise, BMW would be the top seller and not Toyota. Remember, many consumers are not serious gamers; nor very tech savy, and don't care about 90% of the hard facts. They want a little black box for $200 or whatever, research shows this; hell, I know plenty of parents who waited until the PS2 got down closer to the $100+ range. When my triplets got too mature for the GameCube, and asked why we didn't have a PS2, I didn't give a second thought to plunking down $120 for the console (and $300 and games and accesories). But I thought damn long and hard before dropping the $500 for the PS3 (and probably another $500 in games and accessories by year end), and if it were only for the kids (speaking as Joe consumer parent) I would have NEVER spent that kind of cake on the PS3; knowing that they might ruin it by spilling a drink (or body slamming a sibling on it!). I even have a few 30+ adult friends, who love games, who simply can NOT afford such a frivilous investment. It's all about the Benjamin's...

Footnote: Don't get me wong. I love my PS3, and I love Sony products. But they obviously suffered from "irrational exuberance", when they came up with the price-point marketing strategy for this thing. I am a 30+ (actually pushing 40) Engineer who can well afford this thing, but I still wince when I realize I will have nearly $1k into it by years end.

Last edited:
Let's just all admit that it's our own insecurities and egos driving this whole conversation (none of us wants to admit we bought the wrong one or didn't buy the right one, do we?), and try to get along, shall we?

:)

We could, but. Where's the fun in that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts