AT&T 622HZ (Homezone)

at&t homezone question

I currently have AT250 w/HD and locals. I have one 622 and one 522.

In addition, I have a yahoo DSL account...I was wondering if I can switch to AT&T homezone and if so, what would have to change with my current setup.

What is the big pitch with AT&T homezone besides remote access and viewing pictures on the network and whatnot?

Hope this helps

I started with the standard service which was disappointing. I have had the HD service for a week using the 622HZ box.

I don’t think you can switch if you already a Dish customer.

All HZ gets you is:

Web Remote – This is supposed to let you schedule recordings over the web through your connected ATT (2Wire) DSL router. It is user-hostile, weak, and primitive. You most know when the program is being aired, manually scroll to it in the guide (it only goes out a week), and then manually select it. The guide is set up for 640x480 only. YOU CANNOT SCROLL. IT S__KS. YOU CANNOT SEARCH. I go to the Dish site and search and then try to browse to the program on Web Remote. Thank goodness for tabbed browsing. ANOTHER NOTE. IT AIN’T PLUG-AND-PLAY AND IT REQUIRES SOME WORK BY HZ SUPPORT TO GET IT TO WORK. HZ SUPPORT SPEAKS LOCALIZED ENGLISH AND ARE VERY COMPETENT. A++++ for them.

Media Scout – ATT software that allows you to push photos and music to the 622HZ. It works but I have yet to see the utility. My HDTV displays photos much better directly via USB input.

Movielink – Allows you download and play movies. Rental is roughly $4-$5. You can have five available at once. Selection is large. No complaints but NetFlix is a better deal. NO HD, AS ATT DOESN’T WANT YOU USING THE BANDWIDTH YOU HAVE PAID THEM FOR.

Caller ID – This was iffy on the standard box but works on the 622HZ. This alone is worth $2 of $6 HZ costs a month. It is the only feature of HZ that meets expectations.

Am I disappointed? YES! Do I think HZ has the potential to grow into something really great? ABSOLUTELY! For now it’s just kind of lame.

I was with DirecTV for ten years. I ain’t go’in back.

Seems to me

They are about the same but it is said the 622HZ has a bigger hard drive, has a different exterior face, and the user interface is different. When I got my second box it was preinstalled with Dish software but after a couple of reboots it downloaded and switched over to the ATT software.

They are about the same but it is said the 622HZ has a bigger hard drive, has a different exterior face, and the user interface is different. When I got my second box it was preinstalled with Dish software but after a couple of reboots it downloaded and switched over to the ATT software.

It appears they are 722's. But not confirmed.

My understanding is back in 01/05 2wire and Dish's joint press release described a 2wire networking "Media Portal" that provided E* programming, DVR and whole house solution, meaning terminal at each HDTV location in the house could be linked to the MP for HD viewing and playback. More than two years later we have this 622HZ, the only thing remotely associated to 2wire is maybe some part of the firmware in the HZ version of the 622 was developed by 2wire, even that I am not too sure about.

Based on what I have read so far, I am going to ditch this HZ idea and continue to use the standard 622s for a while.

Not sure where to post this or if I'm just not searching the right terms.

Has anyone found a way to do more than just share music and pictures with the 622 HZ using the ATT MediaScout software - or any other software? I'd like to be able to play home videos that live on my PC through the 622 on my TV. It seems like this should be doable if I can move other types of content to the 622 - with the exception of some codec requirements.

Again, I'm a noob, if I'm in the wrong place or missed this content elsewhere, my apologies.

I don't think you can "share" anything on the 622HZ

You can PUSH photos and music to it and store and display/play it on whatever is connected to the video/audio outputs of the box. You cannot push video to the box nor access the box content from other media devices such as a PC.

I have pushed some photos up but it seems HZ lowers the image quality. I get better results just plugging a thumb drive directly into my HDTV display.

I agree

My understanding is back in 01/05 2wire and Dish's joint press release described a 2wire networking "Media Portal" that provided E* programming, DVR and whole house solution, meaning terminal at each HDTV location in the house could be linked to the MP for HD viewing and playback. More than two years later we have this 622HZ, the only thing remotely associated to 2wire is maybe some part of the firmware in the HZ version of the 622 was developed by 2wire, even that I am not too sure about.

Based on what I have read so far, I am going to ditch this HZ idea and continue to use the standard 622s for a while.

HZ just doesn't have the WOW!!! it is hyped to have. Good idea but no killer app to pull it off. What could be wonderful features are hobbled, cobbled, clumsy, lame, and somewhat user-hostile. But then the competition doesn't have them at all. For now to me, it seems Dish has an edge over DirecTV and Real Dish and ATT HZ Dish are a toss up. The features of one don't justify jumping to the other. HZ may have Web Remote, Movielink, and Media Scout but you pay $10/mo to get them and lose DVR recording capacity, Dish Interactive, the option to subscribe to Dish Magazine, purchase accessories like extra remotes, and Dish web support. Web Remote is not searchable and Movielink has no HD offerings. Prices are $4 to $5 a movie. There are plenty of HD alternatives that are cheaper although maybe not as convenient. PPV, Blockbuster, Netflix, etc. Media Scout can be better done with a flash drive, an iPod, or straight off a digital camera. For me, it has zero utility and is too hard to use even if it did.

It is almost as if HZ is a trial balloon to see if there is enough interest for ATT to really put some effort into it.

<...>It is almost as if HZ is a trial balloon to see if there is enough interest for ATT to really put some effort into it.
Sadly, I feel same way watching the box. Especially remembering 2WIRE Media Portal features and taking in account it is SECOND generation of 2WIRE product ( ML1022 was first), but both models still far away from Media portal position on the market.

You sure it has a bigger HD? It has about 1/3 less recording time than a normal 622.

HZ just doesn't have the WOW!!! it is hyped to have. Good idea but no killer app to pull it off. What could be wonderful features are hobbled, cobbled, clumsy, lame, and somewhat user-hostile. But then the competition doesn't have them at all. For now to me, it seems Dish has an edge over DirecTV and Real Dish and ATT HZ Dish are a toss up. The features of one don't justify jumping to the other. HZ may have Web Remote, Movielink, and Media Scout but you pay $10/mo to get them and lose DVR recording capacity, Dish Interactive, the option to subscribe to Dish Magazine, purchase accessories like extra remotes, and Dish web support. Web Remote is not searchable and Movielink has no HD offerings. Prices are $4 to $5 a movie. There are plenty of HD alternatives that are cheaper although maybe not as convenient. PPV, Blockbuster, Netflix, etc. Media Scout can be better done with a flash drive, an iPod, or straight off a digital camera. For me, it has zero utility and is too hard to use even if it did.

It is almost as if HZ is a trial balloon to see if there is enough interest for ATT to really put some effort into it.

The menus are really slow too. Much slower than the normal 622.

I just had HZ installed yesterday. The interface is nice, I am not having the speed issues with the guide or changing HD channels that some were having. Connected to my 2Wire network seemlessly with WAP network name and password, MediaScout says it is supposed to work with a Mac, but only a G4?? That is stupid. I tried to install it on my 20"iMac, but the app hangs at launching. I do have a ticket with tech support though because Dolby Digital is not working. When I change to a channel that has DD content, it will go into DD for a couple of seconds, and then it switches back to PCM. I am waiting for a call back, but they will prolly send a tech out to see if it is the box. Everything worked fine with my HDMI/622 config I had. So we will see what happens. The movie selection is pretty good, even some HD content. So all in all I am pretty happy with it. No HD mapdown though on a sidenote. Nor could I find an option to mirror the picture if it is in single user mode. It has to be in dual user mode to watch on back TV. (I think - as stated, I couldn't find an option).

HomeZone

:) I have had my HomeZone for about 2 weeks now and I am very happy with it. The HD PPV content has nature and documentaries priced between .99 cents for 30 days and 1.99 for 30 days. The tech I had here in Chicago knew his stuff and I had no problem integrating with the wireless router and my PC. So far so good.

Anyone know where you can buy one of these things for a discount? I called AT&T-HomeZone-Dish to upgrade from the 1022MPL and they want $200 for the upgrade and that's not even owning it. :(

622HZ Alpha Keys??????????????????????

The 622 HZ remote has alpha and symbol keys on the numeric keypad as well as a Search and Space key. The minimal documentation says the Search key is used in TV, Movies, or Music.

HZ support says they are not useable. I guess it is just another function that never made it to prime time.

Anyone have any different info?

Also, on a side-note, there seems to be a problem with the HDMI software on the 622HZ. For instance, I cannot get Dolby Digital at all with my HDMI cable. When I change the channel (To a channel broadcasting DD), it goes into DD for 2-3 seconds and drops back into PCM. This has elevated with several ATT Homezone support people all the way up to the engineers/product analysts, and from what they can tell it is a software and HDMI compliance issue. The Toslink cable works fine though, so I turned off my audio over HDMI output setting on my Integra receiver and just am using the Toslink for audio for now until they can get it resolved.

Scott, or whoever, I don't know if maybe we want to make this a FAQ or something for those who may be new to AT&T HZ? It is kind of going to be buried in this thread. No biggie, just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)