AT&T Adds Locast App to DirecTV, Uverse

Reactions: whitewolf8214
DirecTV would be smart to separate the locals charge from the monthly bill. People could drop the DTV local channels and receive them though the Locast application for $5 a month.

Locast just added Tampa and South Florida, but DTV hasn't made the Locast app available on the Genie receiver yet. Why not? Then I would be able to record shows from the many diginets that I can't get from DirecTV.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I had read somewhere that DirecTV was adding the Locast App to their receivers so you could use it to watch and record local TV channels. Hopefully they could then make paying for DirecTV locals optional and let people save the difference.

Miami, Tampa, and Minneapolis recently were added to the Locast System. Does anyone already have the Locast App available on their DirecTV Genie receivers?

Here in San Francisco area we have that for sometime. I had never used it for I have the ota kit.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Miami, Tampa, and Minneapolis recently were added to the Locast System. Does anyone already have the Locast App available on their DirecTV Genie receivers?

I've had the Locast app on my HR54 Genie for some time now ...

And it's currently a buggy mess and doesn't work at all. Every time the app tries to load the list of local channels I can receive, the entire app crashes and the receiver reverts to regular DIRECTV reception.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I had read somewhere that DirecTV was adding the Locast App to their receivers so you could use it to watch and record local TV channels. Hopefully they could then make paying for DirecTV locals optional and let people save the difference.

It really costs $5 a montb

It really costs $5 a montb
DirecTV pays the local channels about $15 a month for local carriage rights. Relying on Locast would save DTV and their customers a good amount of money. ATT even contributed $500,000 to Locast so that they could add more cities.

It works great for me on Roku and I would like to see DTV give us the option not to get the locals from DTV but from Locast instead. $5 a month is a bargain as they supply about 12 diginets that DTV doesn't carry.

DirecTV pays the local channels about $15 a month for local carriage rights. Relying on Locast would save DTV and their customers a good amount of money. ATT even contributed $500,000 to Locast so that they could add more cities.

It works great for me on Roku and I would like to see DTV give us the option not to get the locals from DTV but from Locast instead. $5 a month is a bargain as they supply about 12 diginets that DTV doesn't carry.
If that happens..expect an injunction from the broadcasters...too much money lost

Which begs the question, what is the current status of the Locast app still installed on the Genie?

Is it just a bug causing it to apparently crash and disappear every time it tries to load the channel list?

Or did DIRECTV intentionally disable it due to potential issues with lawsuits and legality?

If so, I would think it would be appropriate to simply remove the app altogether or at least bring up a message that explains due to legal reasons this app can't be used or something. ...

If that happens..expect an injunction from the broadcasters...too much money lost
The broadcasters already have a pending lawsuit to shut down Locast. The case could take up to a year to resolve, and it is not clear who will win. Locast is a nonprofit org that found a legal loophole.

The broadcasters already have a pending lawsuit to shut down Locast. The case could take up to a year to resolve, and it is not clear who will win. Locast is a nonprofit org that found a legal loophole.

It will likely take much longer than a year to resolve, since whatever ruling is made will be appealed all the way up the chain to the Supreme Court - which may refuse to hear if they agree with the appeals court's decision, but it still takes a fair amount of time for them to issue a ruling denying certiorari.

Locast is a "waste" of time on DIRECTV. You try to sign in on the Locast web page and can't! Once - You figure out how to enter the code and get authorized ---> Step 2: Go to your receiver and load the app. It is slow as petunias. It is not worth the strength and oxygen you need to lift your fingers to find a channel to watch. The UI is poor or non-existent! Do your self a favor - Do not even bother with it. AT&T is letting Directv fall apart on purpose. Lastly - If you are not watching this service consistently - you have to authenticate each time. Locast signs you out!
Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Locast is a "waste" of time on DIRECTV. You try to sign in on the Locast web page and can't! Once - You figure out how to enter the code and get authorized ---> Step 2: Go to your receiver and load the app. It is slow as petunias. It is not worth the strength and oxygen you need to lift your fingers to find a channel to watch. The UI is poor or non-existent! Do your self a favor - Do not even bother with it. AT&T is letting Directv fall apart on purpose. Lastly - If you are not watching this service consistently - you have to authenticate each time. Locast signs you out!
Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Yep, agree with everything you say here. ...

And worst, for me anyhow, once past authentication (which as you say, must be repeated daily it seems) I can't even get to the actual UI.

The whole app crashes before it gets to that far ...

Yes, what an absolute piece of crap ....

DirecTV wants to use Locast as a weapon when there is a contract dispute with local TV stations. That is why they put their app on the receiver in the first place. They also gave $500,000 to Locast to weaken the bargaining power of CBS, NBC, ABC, etc.

When there is no contract dispute DTV apparently wants to discourage its use. Roku works okay live but I want to be able record some of the programs and only the Genie can do that.

If DTV were smart, they would give us the option not to use them for Locals and let Locast supply them for $5 a month. Locast gets the locals and diginets for free. DirecTV has to pay very high carriage fees which go higher every year. The networks threaten costly blackouts when they dicker for fee increases.

Last edited:
Yep, agree with everything you say here. ...

And worst, for me anyhow, once past authentication (which as you say, must be repeated daily it seems) I can't even get to the actual UI.

The whole app crashes before it gets to that far ...

Yes, what an absolute piece of crap ....

I called DirecTV and they say they are no longer supporting the Locast application, even though it is still installed on DTV receivers. Also you must pay DirecTV for locals even if you already receive them using your home antenna or Locast service.

I called DirecTV and they say they are no longer supporting the Locast application, even though it is still installed on DTV receivers. Also you must pay DirecTV for locals even if you already receive them using your home antenna or Locast service.

Directv is so dumb. They have hardware that allows people to connect their antennas but they barely support it. They have the Locast app which provides another alternative but decide to stop supporting that.

Maybe their contracts with local stations don't allow them to offer subscribers a way to drop their locals and save money, but given that locals cost them almost $20/month they could save people a lot of money and maybe lose fewer subscribers. Sure not everyone can get OTA or lives where Locast is available, but they might hold onto more of their subscribers in the places where people have those options.

Reactions: AZ.
Dish already lets customers not use or pay for local channels, and also supports the Locast application. AT&T donated half a million dollars to help Locast build its nationwide coverage, but won't fix its Locast app.

You got it right when you said DirecTV is so dumb.

Last edited:
Sure you could, if DirecTV would support that feature. They are refusing to. Now we have local blackouts and have no option to drop locals and save money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts