at&t advanced tv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tom-008

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
I was a dish customer 3 years ago, had some bad experinces with dishtv.
I am with comcast cable now. I saw an at&t ad that said you could record
on 4 channels. Is this true or is it a marketing tool?

If you have 4 TVs can you watch any of the four recorded programs on any one of the four TVs?

I don't think that's available yet - the rumored "Whole Home DVR" is supposed to be coming later this year.

The way I understand it, you get 4 SD streams to work with and 2 HD streams. So if you're watching live SD on 3 of your TVs, you could only record 1 SD channel on the DVR. If you aren't watching any live TV, you can record four SDs at once or 2 HDs.

I haven't been able to figure out if you can also be watching something that was recorded if you are at your stream limit. In other words, if you are recording two HD shows, could you also be watching a third HD show that was recorded earlier?

Thanks. We're ready leave Comcast and this was one of our options. But without that capability, satellite is our only option left.

It is my understanding that watching a recorded event doesn't count as a stream, so you could watch a recorded HD event while recording 2 HD events.

I think AT&T Uverse is limited to no more than 2 HD channels entering your home at any one time. I believe FiOS also has the same limitation. So, it is 4 SD channels, or a lesser number of SD with only 1 HD or in the case of the 2 HD channels, only 2 HD, for the whole house.

Last time AT&T stopped by my house trying to sell me the Uverse thing, as I understood it, originally if you had HD, you could only watch ONE HD at a time. If you had 2 or more HDTV's, you could watch another channel, but it would be in SD and from those in my neighborhood that took the bait on the promotion, most are not completely satisfied with the PQ on HD. Lots of pixelation at times. In fairness they DO like the ability to record 4 channels.

Unlike FiOS, Uverse is not true fiber optic to the house, just to a hub within several hundred feet.. Still copper wire to the house. I got turned off that idea pretty quick.

With a 622 and 722 and 211 and three HDTV's in the house, will be a long time moving away from satellite even though I bitch at the price we are paying!

Last time AT&T stopped by my house trying to sell me the Uverse thing, as I understood it, originally if you had HD, you could only watch ONE HD at a time. If you had 2 or more HDTV's, you could watch another channel, but it would be in SD and from those in my neighborhood that took the bait on the promotion, most are not completely satisfied with the PQ on HD. Lots of pixelation at times. In fairness they DO like the ability to record 4 channels.

Unlike FiOS, Uverse is not true fiber optic to the house, just to a hub within several hundred feet.. Still copper wire to the house. I got turned off that idea pretty quick.

With a 622 and 722 and 211 and three HDTV's in the house, will be a long time moving away from satellite even though I bitch at the price we are paying!

They've upped that to 2 HD feeds now, and have plans to double that to 4 soon.

I've been keeping an eye on Verizon FIOS but it's not available in my area. Today an AT&T door-to-door salewoman came to my door and told me about U-Verse (she didn't know about Verizon FIOS but did say that AT&T was partnered with Verizon). I went to their website and checked out the packages, HD channels and pricing and it's very comparable in both channels and price to what I get with Dish.

I have been a very happy customer of dish's for six years, but I'm not impressed with the quality of the HD channels they've got which is why I've been watching the fiber optic offerings. I would be sad to leave Dish (and my 622 DVR), but if I can get basically the same channels at the same price, but a higher quality video stream, why should I stay with Dish (oh and U-verse has VOD too)?

I've been keeping an eye on Verizon FIOS but it's not available in my area. Today an AT&T door-to-door salewoman came to my door and told me about U-Verse (she didn't know about Verizon FIOS but did say that AT&T was partnered with Verizon). I went to their website and checked out the packages, HD channels and pricing and it's very comparable in both channels and price to what I get with Dish.

I have been a very happy customer of dish's for six years, but I'm not impressed with the quality of the HD channels they've got which is why I've been watching the fiber optic offerings. I would be sad to leave Dish (and my 622 DVR), but if I can get basically the same channels at the same price, but a higher quality video stream, why should I stay with Dish (oh and U-verse has VOD too)?
Very doubtful you will be happy with U-verse PQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts