AT&T exploring Deal to sell off DIRECTV.

Fiber and the internet stole most of satellites thunder...satellite is starting to move past its prime
Hardley ...
That Sat is brand new ... It may not be of any value in other areas other than for D*, but Sats have hardley lost it "Thunder"

I believe there are 100's of new Sats up there at the moment working on giving us Nationwide Internet ... Sats are hardly past thier prime.

Look at all the other things Sats are up there for. Defense being one of them.

Fiber and the internet stole most of satellites thunder...satellite is starting to move past its prime
So you don't think any of the other DBS companies in the world might be interested in bargain basement priced in orbit satellites?

So you don't think any of the other DBS companies in the world might be interested in bargain basement priced in orbit satellites?

IF, they can be re-configured, probably ...
I don't know if its designed for D* services only or not.
I would think alot of it is specific to D* though.

You and I could have said that same thing ... It easy, throw something at the wall and see what sticks.
Everyone knows they shouldn't have bought D*, but at the time, it was just before the sh*t hit the fan and Streaming started to get big.
Actually I liked AT&T buying DTV because of the bundling discounts.

Reactions: Jimbo
As long as AT&T owns 50% of Directv, there is no way in hell that Charlie gets involved, even if a private equity group bought the other 50% from AT&T and approached Charlie.

If Charlie bought Directv, it would mean all Directv subs get converted to Dish subs and eventually everyone going to 1 platform.

Just not going to happen unless he has 100% control, which as it stands right now is not happening.

Besides, I wouldn’t want that antiquated kangaroo technology sh*t installed in my house. I would be officially done with satellite if forced into that situation to continue service.

The Ka sats have lots and lots of spot beam downlinks with frequency reuse but not useful (in my opinion) for Internet delivery like Viasat does where they use low power consumer uplink dishes. The Ku side uses 18GHz uplinks, very unusual for anyone but a direct to home TV broadcast company. Licensing an 18GHz uplink for general purpose TV relay or data use might be difficult.

But can it be reconfigured for other services?

They won't buy it unless they see a significant return on selling off the hardware, real estate, and intellectual property. Is that worth $20 billion? I have no idea. Do we know for sure that none of the satellites can be repurposed for other communications purposes? Do I recall that at least one satellite is either a relatively recent launch or that there's one in the works yet?

Even if the hedge funds decide to maintain DTV operations, how much will they raise fees to maximize their ROI? That would also drive customers away.

Directv's assets likely aren't worth even 1/10th of $20 billion. Parting it out is a non-starter.

No, because they are designed specifically for the US market. The national beams are designed for the shape of the US, spot beams are designed for US DMAs. It would be useless in Europe or Asia since it won't hit everywhere you need to hit and/or will hit a lot of places you aren't allowed to hit because someone else has the license.

They are also mostly Ka, and AFAIK no other DBS provider in the world is using Ka. Not only that, their Ku band isn't the same Ku band most of the rest of the world is using (in Europe they use a 2 GHz wide Ku band, for instance, rather than the 500 MHz wide band used here)

And no, they cannot be reconfigured in orbit.

If dish buy directv ofc without hbo and Cinemax again I’m moving back cable again because dish losing lot of channels no thank you if they planning buy dish buy directv I’m done I’m going back Comcast for sure unless if will do buy it then I’m leaving for sure

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No, because they are designed specifically for the US market. The national beams are designed for the shape of the US, spot beams are designed for US DMAs. It would be useless in Europe or Asia since it won't hit everywhere you need to hit and/or will hit a lot of places you aren't allowed to hit because someone else has the license.

They are also mostly Ka, and AFAIK no other DBS provider in the world is using Ka. Not only that, their Ku band isn't the same Ku band most of the rest of the world is using (in Europe they use a 2 GHz wide Ku band, for instance, rather than the 500 MHz wide band used here)

And no, they cannot be reconfigured in orbit.
Ok, I didn't realize you were on the design team for the DTV sats that decided not to allow for any future technology changes.

Your NUTS, if you think cell phones will be spun off ... thats whats keeping them on the positive side of things.
New Cell Phones come out EVERY YEAR, I am 1000% sure that ATT (and the others) make plenty of money off of them each year.

You think Cell phones are going away in favor of what ?
Online tools for phone and texting ? If you want to call a cell phone a tool, i guess.
Look up " visible"... its about slashing costs and improving profits...stores and call centers eat up profits...cell phones have peaked..no more growth...cant make money selling phones...just basically break even..because it so easy to switch providers now..just change a sim card...so you set up a low cost pre paid provider..dump all your customer costs on them and become a wholesale carrier..just have everyone resell your service

Look up " visible"... its about slashing costs and improving profits...stores and call centers eat up profits...cell phones have peaked..no more growth...cant make money selling phones...just basically break even..because it so easy to switch providers now..just change a sim card...so you set up a low cost pre paid provider..dump all your customer costs on them and become a wholesale carrier..just have everyone resell your service

Yeah, I had wondered what the end game was with Visible. This makes so much sense.

Looks to me that this visible is still using APPLE phones and Samsung Phones and all the others, so that shows that Cell Phones are NOT GOING AWAY ...
Sure you can bring your own phone, why not, you had to pay for it any ways ...

Btw, what network are they using ... Verizon ? Att ?? unless its entirely wireless, which still needs something to run it, you'll still have up keep to pay for.

Btw, $40 a month per device is NO Deal.

If I recall, T-Mobile was that Cut cost cell phone company ... till that wasn't making them enough money .... hmmm, it comes down to Money again ... look where they are now ... they are no longer a low cost company, that motto went out the door and is gone forever.

This is just the next in line, they will be around for awhile, either make it, or fade off like others.

Looks like Stankey is really trying to clean house now that Stephens is gone. Just saw this Forbes article and in it analyst Moffat says AT&T made a mistake buying both DTV and Time Warner. The next thin* AT&T should sell is CNN.

Selling CNN, the third player in a two player market; and an operation that by its very nature requires both huge spending and courting alienating customers unhappy with what is said on it, no matter what that is; is a toxic asset for a company whose main product is cell service, which is more or less the same as competitors without such controversy, would be a very good move.

Looks to me that this visible is still using APPLE phones and Samsung Phones and all the others, so that shows that Cell Phones are NOT GOING AWAY ...
Sure you can bring your own phone, why not, you had to pay for it any ways ...

Btw, what network are they using ... Verizon ? Att ?? unless its entirely wireless, which still needs something to run it, you'll still have up keep to pay for.

Btw, $40 a month per device is NO Deal.
Your not understanding...the employees will be going away..not the cell phones...visible will be the old 4g network its owned by Verizon...there new model is to go storeless with as little customer contact as possible...when was the last time you called in a trouble on a cellphone?.. wireless is mostly sales people..so you build up a great website with good tools and nobody has to talk to anyone..you use automation to monitor network activity and your NOC gets cut back...soon you have one giant black box that runs everything and just sends checks to the ceo to sign and hand deliver to the shareholders

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Your not understanding...the employees will be going away..not the cell phones...visible will be the old 4g network its owned by Verizon...there new model is to go storeless with as little customer contact as possible...when was the last time you called in a trouble on a cellphone?.. wireless is mostly sales people..so you build up a great website with good tools and nobody has to talk to anyone..you use automation to monitor network activity and your NOC gets cut back...soon you have one giant black box that runs everything and just sends checks to the ceo to sign and hand deliver to the shareholders

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
What happens when you have questions on how something works ?
Or a bill you have questions about ?
Or your service isn't working ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)