AT&T is pissing me off!!!!

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
Ok, I have been on the phone for an hour now. I called to get an iphone and renew my contract for another 2 years (to get the discounted price) and I find out my account has been flagged. Why? because apparently, even though I have a nationwide plan, they say i have been using another carriers network. They keep asking me when I "roamed". I didn't know the term roaming was still out there. I have had a nationwide plan for 10 years now and have not seen the term "roam" on my phone or bill since then.

I was in New Mexico for 5 months for work. According to their coverage plan, they do not have towers in the area i was in but contract with another carrier to provide service.

So I guess I have a nationwide (as long as you stay in your home area most of the time) plan.

For the record I work for the Dept. of Homeland Security and I have a DHS account, you would think I am not the first one with this problem!!!!

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Actually, it's very common and I believe it is in the T&Cs for their coverage plans.

“Off-net Usage: If your minutes of use (including unlimited services) on other carrier networks (”off-net usage”) during any two consecutive months exceed your off-net usage allowance, AT&T may, at its option, terminate your service, deny your continued use of other carriers' coverage, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for off-net usage. Your off-net usage allowance is equal to the lesser of 750 minutes or 40% of the Anytime Minutes included with your plan. AT&T will provide notice it intends to take any of the above actions, and you may terminate the agreement.”

I believe all carriers have the same type provision.

FYI - my dh was in New Mexico for work for 5 months a few years ago (I assume it's the same work) and we never had a problem with Verizon. I remained in our home state (AZ) while he was in NM. Never had an issue. He was then in GA for 5 mos last year and again, no problem. Strange.

'bout time you DHS guys get a taste of your own medicine! ( being flagged, that is) LOL! :)

Hey I was just away from my home station for over 5 weeks and I used both my laptop EVDO card and my cell phone both for calls and tethered via PDANet to a desktop computer, running up the data with Slingbox. So far no problems with Verizon. But, I appreciate the alert. If it is two months for Verizon then I should be safe. Either way, That extended trip was a very rare occurrence for me. I'm usually only gone for 7-10 day trips.

Ok, I have been on the phone for an hour now. I called to get an iphone and renew my contract for another 2 years (to get the discounted price) and I find out my account has been flagged. Why? because apparently, even though I have a nationwide plan, they say i have been using another carriers network. They keep asking me when I "roamed". I didn't know the term roaming was still out there. I have had a nationwide plan for 10 years now and have not seen the term "roam" on my phone or bill since then.

I was in New Mexico for 5 months for work. According to their coverage plan, they do not have towers in the area i was in but contract with another carrier to provide service.

So I guess I have a nationwide (as long as you stay in your home area most of the time) plan.

For the record I work for the Dept. of Homeland Security and I have a DHS account, you would think I am not the first one with this problem!!!!

I've read that other providers do that also. Verizon is notorious for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts