AT&T is Reportedly About to Have Significant Layoffs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's almost worse.

At least in previous years, our Area Manager would come down and let everyone know whats going on as well as help those affected locate other jobs within the company.
IBM wouldn't let people find other jobs...consider your self lucky att does

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

IBM wouldn't let people find other jobs...consider your self lucky att does

Att at least trys to place you elsewhere in the company when a Surplus comes along ....
I am at the point where it doesn't matter ... if something happened ... I'd retire ...
It would just happen a little earlier than i would like.

At ATT's version of DirecTV you can be the only guy in the company that knows a certain extremely important task and you can still find yourself on the "surplus" list. In my book surplus means excess, spare, left over, not needed any longer. Many of the people I know at DirecTV who have been let go do not match that description.

Att at least trys to place you elsewhere in the company when a Surplus comes along ....
I am at the point where it doesn't matter ... if something happened ... I'd retire ...
It would just happen a little earlier than i would like.

Some DirecTV employees got layoff emails starting today. I haven't seen one yet to know what it says but I'll try to get more info. Looking at some preliminary numbers for one site it looks like it might affect more than 10% of the employees.

The emails going out today mention the employee is on a list to possibly be cut and they have to call in tomorrow to find out more.

Some DirecTV employees got layoff emails starting today. I haven't seen one yet to know what it says but I'll try to get more info. Looking at some preliminary numbers for one site it looks like it might affect more than 10% of the employees.

Now ... Are these ATT /D* employees, or are they Directv employees with companies from before ATT took over ?
I'm just curious ....

Up here we have the ATT employees that have been trained to do the D* job and I also see employees that are FROM the Directv side still working, as they should be.

The ATT employees I heard about today are at DirecTV inside facilities. I don't know if the specific employees are long time DirecTV hired before the ATT takeover or recent hires or old time ATT that transferred to DirecTV but I'll know more tomorrow.

The info I heard about Jan 28th notifications came from the phone side of ATT and we'll see how that pans out. Whatever layoffs are going on is very sad for those affected.

Now ... Are these ATT /D* employees, or are they Directv employees with companies from before ATT took over ?
I'm just curious ....

Up here we have the ATT employees that have been trained to do the D* job and I also see employees that are FROM the Directv side still working, as they should be.

This is just an inhumane way of operating at a behemoth of a company. No one-on-one conversation, rather an email that you have to call the next day. I guess they decided to ruin 48 hours instead of just 24. These things aren't easy for anyone, but it really should be more respectful.

This is just an inhumane way of operating at a behemoth of a company. No one-on-one conversation, rather an email that you have to call the next day. I guess they decided to ruin 48 hours instead of just 24. These things aren't easy for anyone, but it really should be more respectful.
As I mentioned earlier, this is not how its done on my side of the company .. that said, we lose people most years, unfortunately.

Generally speaking, those that are on the "surplus" list know whats going on at least a month or so ahead of time ... generally its the bottom of the list that have to move ... they took the bottom 5 (originally was 10) ... and they gave them help relocating as well as moving to a different position in the company if they were wanting to stay with the company.

Also, of the 10 that were to be surplussed, if any of the upper were to retire or move on, that would lower the number going from the bottom of the list.

At my company many years ago, they decided to CUT the IT force of the old mainframe guys. This was after we upgraded to client/server, and SAP on unix. So, the mainframe guys weren't needed anymore. The employee's were in their office, and a Loss Prevention security guy, AND their manager walked into their offices with a box. All their network credentials were already killed before then. You had 5 minutes to put what would fit in the box, and then you were marched to the door and kicked out. Whatever wouldn't fit in the box, you had to make an appointment to come back later to pick it up, after it was all packed up for you.

Some of these guys had worked there for 20-30 years, and were treated like something you scrape off the bottom of your shoe. I had known them for almost 14 years at that point. It was a nasty way to treat loyal employees.

Unfortunately that's the reality because 1 in 10,000 employees who is laid off will do something to try to get revenge for that if they are allowed to work out their remaining time normally. Especially in positions like IT where they have the ability to cause a lot of damage.

ATT phone and cell side took a big layoff hit today with an entire building in San Antonio being wiped out. Looks like they are targeting people mostly in the 45 to 65yr old range, but maybe its just a coincidence and the job titles happened to be older people. Or, maybe its intentional?

I'm hearing the people who got notices have 60 days to find another position within the company or they can choose to leave now. I've also heard 6mo severance pay is being offered but I don't know if that's for everyone affected.

Unfortunately that's the reality because 1 in 10,000 employees who is laid off will do something to try to get revenge for that if they are allowed to work out their remaining time normally. Especially in positions like IT where they have the ability to cause a lot of damage.

ATT phone and cell side took a big layoff hit today with an entire building in San Antonio being wiped out. Looks like they are targeting people mostly in the 45 to 65yr old range, but maybe its just a coincidence and the job titles happened to be older people. Or, maybe its intentional?

I'm hearing the people who got notices have 60 days to find another position within the company or they can choose to leave now. I've also heard 6mo severance pay is being offered but I don't know if that's for everyone affected.

It happened to me a few years back. It's intentional, I can absolutely assure you of that. But they'll do it in a way that doesn't appear to go against government rules for targeting age discrimination. People up on higher age levels are far more likely to cost more to the business, as if they've been there longer, they typically have higher wages and pension costs. This way they can get a whole lot of MUCH cheaper people, or H1B contractors that cost 1/10th what they are presently paying. Since they are contractors, there's no future cost to the company for those sorts, and they can be let go with a simple phone call without dealing with government rules for American's.

"Cost Synergies", and "Shareholder Value" and all that happy B.S.

I can WARN you all right now: IF you EVER hear those two terms above start going around the publicly traded company you work for, be VERY scared, and get ready for the boot and the door.

I was in one of those neutron bomb company failures. The bank would not cash my paycheck and punched holes in it.
If you walk out with your shirt on your back, be happy.

And, the early outers get the best deals. The closer to doomsday it gets, the cheaper the payout.
At the end, be happy if they don't ask for money back.

I was in one of those neutron bomb company failures. The bank would not cash my paycheck and punched holes in it.
If you walk out with your shirt on your back, be happy.

And, the early outers get the best deals. The closer to doomsday it gets, the cheaper the payout.
At the end, be happy if they don't ask for money back.
Can anyone say Lucent?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)