AT&T loses 620,000 video subs in Q1 as DirecTV deal moves ahead

I do not like the streaming model of $4.99 here, $8.99 here etc. Each of them will claim one sport I want to watch so I would end up paying the same and having to flip through all these annoying apps just to watch what is all in one place now. I simply do not understand how people watch TV that way. There is good content on some of the streamers but it is very hard to find with all the scrolling. So little is shown on the screen at once and it goes in all directions... overwhelming and not sure where to go. And you can't just search for what you don't know exists. Most of the streaming shows I watch I see from ads on regular TV during sports!
Get an Apple TV and use their TV app. Looking for sports? Click on their sports tab.

1619282757645.png

And I agree that sports are about the only reason to still pay for cable TV channels. It's what's still holding the system up. But with the new round of deals that NFL made that includes various streaming services, we're going to see more and more sports viewing shifting over to streaming too...

I think what you're saying is reasonable, it's just that the bulk of younger folks, I would say under 35, almost all use a streaming device with apps now. Which kind of makes linear TV demise immenent
You are quite correct, found this-Most Americans 45 and older continue to utilize cable or satellite for watching TV, but streaming is now more popular than cable or satellite among adults under 45, and it's how most adults under 35 now consume television. Just 22% of adults under 35 now primarily watch television through cable or satellite.

I guess I must be in the minority, I am 54 and stream everything, now I could easily afford DirecTV or Dish, I just prefer streaming, no contracts ( so I can leave with no charge), no fees ( broadcast, sports, DVR and Box fees piss me off), better picture ( everything we watch is in 1080P or 4K).

Last edited:
Really? No. Just the opposite.

If you are into a league, buy the out-of-market pack for it... MLB, NBA, NHL, stream every game but your the home team.

Soccer, you need ESPN+ for MLS and La Liga, Serie A, and FA Cup. Paramount+ for Champions and Europa League, and Peacock for EPL.

ESPN+ has you covered for college sports, stuff that you will never find on DirecTV or cable... lacrosse, softball/baseball, Div 2 or 3, etc.

Sunday Ticket for NFL, but you can get your home team OTA. You only need Sunday Ticket if you want a particular out-of-market team every week.

The only reason for DirecTV or cable is if you want to watch the home team, assuming they carry your RSN.

Streaming definitely offers much more for sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Currently you need D* to get Sunday Ticket.

Reactions: ejb1980
You are quite correct, found this-Most Americans 45 and older continue to utilize cable or satellite for watching TV, but streaming is now more popular than cable or satellite among adults under 45, and it's how most adults under 35 now consume television. Just 22% of adults under 35 now primarily watch television through cable or satellite.

I guess I must be in the minority, I am 54 and stream everything, now I could easily afford DirecTV or Dish, I just prefer streaming, no contracts ( so I can leave with a charge), no fees ( broadcast, sports, DVR and Box fees piss me off), better picture ( everything we watch is in 1080P or 4K).
How would I go about guaranteeing that I could watch the Pittsburgh Steelers every week via internet streaming ?

Get a VPN
I knew someone was gonna say that ....
I'm wanting to know how to get what I get from the Sunday Ticket without getting a bunch of other stuff, such as a VPN and whatever else might work.
I don't want to have to jump thru hoops ...
I want to turn on the TV on Sundays and just watch my games.

Reactions: ejb1980 and AZ.
Currently you need D* to get Sunday Ticket.

Basically what you are saying is not ‘I have DirecTV for sports.’ What you are saying is ‘I need DirecTV for out-of-market NFL.’

Just to be clear, streaming is a much better way to get all sports that aren’t the NFL.

Those of us that don’t need the NFL don’t need DirecTV.

I guess I must be in the minority, I am 54 and stream everything, now I could easily afford DirecTV or Dish, I just prefer streaming, no contracts ( so I can leave with a charge), no fees ( broadcast, sports, DVR and Box fees piss me off), better picture ( everything we watch is in 1080P or 4K).

My question about this is how do you watch TV? Are you using a cable replacement like YouTube TV or Hulu Live, or are you using only on-demand services like Netflix, Disney+, or the like? We watch a mix of the two, but mostly cable replacement.

This distinction was also missed by the article you linked.

I find that there are times that I channel search to find something - lazy watching targets of convenience. There are times when I want to watch something from on-demand streaming, which is deliberate.

This to me is the big distinction... how much do people value watching linear channels. The older streaming services like Netflix only offer on-demand streaming. The newer ones (Paramount+, Discovery+) also offer their linear channels.

My question about this is how do you watch TV? Are you using a cable replacement like YouTube TV or Hulu Live, or are you using only on-demand services like Netflix, Disney+, or the like? We watch a mix of the two, but mostly cable replacement.

This distinction was also missed by the article you linked.

I find that there are times that I channel search to find something - lazy watching targets of convenience. There are times when I want to watch something from on-demand streaming, which is deliberate.

This to me is the big distinction... how much do people value watching linear channels. The older streaming services like Netflix only offer on-demand streaming. The newer ones (Paramount+, Discovery+) also offer their linear channels.

The problem I find is what to do when your turning it on for back ground noise as I call it.
Many times I'm doing a bunch of other things or even being Online surfing the web but I want to hear the news ...
Other times I'll want something on that I really don't have to closely pay attention to.

Other times when shows that I WANT to watch or games, when I have to pay attention.

I don't want to have to decide what to have on as I would if I were streaming.

So, spend $100 a month on Directv instead?
Wow....Numb is right...How about spending $1500 on internet without programming, or get my sports for the same price through direct TV.. You do know that the price for a season ticket is just about the same through direct as it is a streaming provider dont you?

Wow....Numb is right...How about spending $1500 on internet without programming, or get my sports for the same price through direct TV.. You do know that the price for a season ticket is just about the same through direct as it is a streaming provider dont you?

It's your money. Personally, I like saving mine. I utilize the 77 OTA channels I receive, which give me every single local NFL broadcast. I have just a few streaming services. If I were on a fixed income, that would mean something I think.

Reactions: comp9

As customers continue to leave..directv price will continue to sky rocket...eventually it will be 300 a month...then what?

Reactions: comfortably_numb
First its still not up 100%....I want to drop, $400 on equipment, and another $100 a month? Sorry retired and on a fixed income you have to pick and choose were to spend money...
What do you pay for internet now and for what speed?

The problem I find is what to do when your turning it on for back ground noise as I call it.
Many times I'm doing a bunch of other things or even being Online surfing the web but I want to hear the news ...
Other times I'll want something on that I really don't have to closely pay attention to.
There are plenty of things on Streaming that you can have on for Background Noise, most of the content on Pluto TV is a good example, or even Live News, if you don’t pay for a Live TV Service, all the main networks have 24 hour news on for free, CBS News is a good example.
Other times when shows that I WANT to watch or games, when I have to pay attention.

I don't want to have to decide what to have on as I would if I were streaming.
That makes no sense, if you are watching something you want to pay attention to, are you not deciding to watch it.

For example, my wife and I decided to watch all 6 episodes of The Falcon and Winter Soldier over the last few nights on Disney+, what is so different from that then deciding to watch something on a cable channel instead or something saved on the DVR?

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I hate commercials. I record everything and skip thru commercials. I do have Amazon Prime and a Roku Ultra, but I cannot watch the free channels like Fubo, because they are loaded with commercials that I cannot stand and they will not let you record and skip commercials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts