At&t may sell Direct TV for only 15 Billion

Reactions: Tvland1 and Tampa8
As for Charlie
1. Not the right time; he's putting his bet into 5G
2. Too much money
3. He would not accept a MINORITY ownership

Ironically, let the Private Equity Fund (and AT&T) further ruin the value of DirecTV for a good while, and it will be they and AT&T who will be begging Charlie to buy controlling interest or the whole thing--for a lot less money. By then the time and price might be right for Mr. Ergen. By that time, there could be viable options for Pay-TV other than satellite in rural areas, and the DOJ may approve of sale. But even by then bying DirecTV makes sense ONLY for Dish. I can't see anyone else even thinking of buying DirecTV.

On the other hand, if Apollo agrees to buy a minority interest, it could be the beginning of yard sale of whatever DirecTV assets and hardware they can rip-out and get along without because I can't see any other way this could a wise investment for Apollo, or anybody.

Last edited:
As for Charlie
1. Not the right time; he's putting his bet into 5G
2. Too much money
3. He would not accept a MINORITY ownership

Ironically, let the Private Equity Fund (and AT&T) further ruin the value of DirecTV for a good while, and it will be they and AT&T who will be begging Charlie to buy controlling interest or the whole thing--for a lot less money. By then the time and price might be right for Mr. Ergen. By that time, there could be viable options for Pay-TV other than satellite in rural areas, and the DOJ may approve of sale. But even by then bying DirecTV makes sense ONLY for Dish. I can't see anyone else even thinking of buying DirecTV.

On the other hand, if Apollo agrees to buy a minority interest, it could be the beginning of yard sale of whatever DirecTV assets and hardware they can rip-out and get along without because I can't see any other way this could a wise investment for Apollo, or anybody.
I have to agree because despite likely objections from the FCC I can see no other viable destination for Direct but Dish. If AT&T unloads Direct to any other buyer it would probably cause Direct to continue to contract and lose value leaving Dish as the only option. Then the FCC's options would be to agree to this acquisition by Dish or watch Direct fold.

Charlie will end up with Direct, and at his price.

Apallo would be buying an income stream at some discount to it's present value and based on their guess of the future decline in customer base.

Why would at&t do it?

Because they will shed some risk and get cash to either pay down debt or invest in other parts of the corporation.

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!

Apollo could still negotiate with Dish. Just because they own DTV doesn't mean they can keep their stations to themselves. Dish could file an anti competitive lawsuit against Apollo and win!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)