AT&T moves ahead on Dish deal

I predict if Dish is sold that Charlie will want to remain CEO of the company and may remain in that position. He will also want exclusivity for providing the hardware and satellite lease for Dish Network as part of the agreement. Charlie will then be looking at merging the satellite space in orbit by getting with DirecTv to save on costs.

I think the guy who wrote that article is an idiot. Satellite is a "dying" or "legacy" business? Don't D* and E* show profit every year? Aren't their subscriber bases increasing substantially every year? Aren't they both launching new satellites to increase bandwidth? He also ignores the major rumor as to why Charlie is "dumping" Dish Network -- to start a new content-providing business. If Charlie thinks satellite is a dying business, why would he want to start a new business?

This guy reminds me of the people who say the future of TV is on the Web. Please.

Yeah would if anything other way around cable TV is dying and IPTV will not be anything better than what cable can do. Overall Satellite TV is the best right now and almost everything on the planet is broadcast from a Satellite. Cable TV and IPTV have allot more overhead due to they physically half to lay cable and more often update their hardware to stay up to date. Which in the long run gets real expensive so if anything Direct and Dish have a very big advantage over the rest of the competition.

I still think that IPTV is the future of TV. Charlie knows something we don't know and he's a great poker player. He wouldn't sell if he couldn't milk more money from Dish Network, would he? He probably sees more profit in the equipment and satellites, like Poke said everything is broadcasted from a satellite.

IPTV is really nothing new it just like cable tv only difference is that some places are using a net connection to push video. So it's just a way for Telephone Companies to offers TV service just like cable companies offer phone service. So dont get caught up in the hype and its never good to have all your services wrap up into one service provider. Another thing is I would not want to have my TV Service going through my net service to where if your TV Service goes down so does your Internet Service goes down as well. So IPTV is nothing special its just Telecos offering TV Service.

Charlie wants to sell Dish Network while it is ripe. If he waits too long then he will not get near as much when stocks start dropping and IPTV and other technologies start emerging more rapidly over the next several years. Some analysts are predicting that satellite has reached its peak that it will quit adding the subscribers that they are now.

I disagree. D* and E* wouldn't be continuing to put satellites up and increase HD channel carriage if satellite TV had reached it's peak.

We have a big storm blowing into the Pacific NW this afternoon and if there are power outages, those with generators and satellite TV still have news and info/entertainment. If you have cable tv/phone/internet, you're dead-in-the-water until the electricity comes back on...

The satellite companies have to continue operating as if they were not going to sell therefore they have to add the HD content to continue competing. Once they get all those HD channels added they will be in great position on competing against cable for the short term until cable catches up. I can see satellite doing well for another few years but you can't wait until the last minute to sell out. Sometimes it takes time to sell a company.

From the Wall Street Journal

Dishing It Up:
AT&T-EchoStar
As Tie-Up Rumors Fly,
Bankers Vie for Invite
To Formal 'Bake-Off'
October 17, 2007; Page C3
Investors in orbit over a possible acquisition of EchoStar Communications by AT&T may want to return to earth.

Well done wolfjc. Glad to see someone else reading the financial journals about the real world instead of guessing what might happen.

And how did this thread denegrate into a discussion about union wages???:confused:

Charlie wants to sell Dish Network while it is ripe. If he waits too long then he will not get near as much when stocks start dropping and IPTV and other technologies start emerging more rapidly over the next several years. Some analysts are predicting that satellite has reached its peak that it will quit adding the subscribers that they are now.

Ooooh ooohhh!!! I love baseless rumors supported by propagandist hopefuls too!

DVD won't make it the year... -- (Sony, 1994)

Well done wolfjc. Glad to see someone else reading the financial journals about the real world instead of guessing what might happen.

And how did this thread denegrate into a discussion about union wages???:confused:
I did it..Got a problem with that, Mr. Snotty I read the WSJ?..
The people who responded to my comments surely didn't object. I guess there's one in every crowd.
Here's some links for you..maybe these will keep you busy enough so that you won't have to come here and chat with the unwashed masses.
6 whole posts..Yeah right. Have a nice life.

www.Financial-Times.com
Financial Investment News - Stock Investing News - Investment News - Barron's Online
Kiplinger.com - Personal Finance, Business Resources, Retirement and Financial Advice
Bloomberg.com

I did it..Got a problem with that, Mr. Snotty I read the WSJ?..
The people who responded to my comments surely didn't object. I guess there's one in every crowd.
Here's some links for you..maybe these will keep you busy enough so that you won't have to come here and chat with the unwashed masses.
6 whole posts..Yeah right. Have a nice life.

www.Financial-Times.com
Financial Investment News - Stock Investing News - Investment News - Barron's Online
Kiplinger.com - Personal Finance, Business Resources, Retirement and Financial Advice
Bloomberg.com

Wow, someone needs to go back to bed for a while. Geez, get a grip! Ritalin is your friend! :rolleyes:

Here's another take on this AT&T - Echostar possible buyout:

The Hidden Message Behind EchoStar's Potential Marriage To AT&T: U-Verse Sucks And Satellite TV Is Dying - addict3d.org

I agree with a lot of the points made in this article.

"It would be about buying customers, not technology (the good technology would stay with Ergen anyway), squeezing some life out of the legacy satellite business and then casting it off and transferring everyone over to fiber."

The article makes a lot of sense. Afterall, it's all about a lot of money, not what customers want or need. We are simply pawns in this big chess game where we pay regardless of who wins or loses!!! It's going to be a fun ride in the next few years, and remember there is always cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)