AT&T Re-adds Slingbox Ban on 3G Network

It is funny how everybody bashes AT&T's network but not others. I switched from Verizon to AT&T and have had 100% less problems since the switch. All of the issues really depend on your area of the country.

Now am I mad that the Sling app is not 3G and AT&T says it is against their TOS..... YES!!!!, but if you read other TOS from the other providers it is pretty much against all of them.

Ask all of the Blackberry users on Verizon how they like using the Sling Player application. Oh wait they can't because they did not release one for Verizon.

I think this is the combination of a crap phone being on a crap network. Take away the App store and the iPhone is just an overpriced phone with bad battery life, and horrible propietary software attached to an unreliable, overbloated network.
Yet there were hundreds and thousands of people waiting in line for it the day it was released.... I guess Apple and AT&T did their job at hyping it up and plenty of people fell for it !

It is funny how everybody bashes AT&T's network but not others. I switched from Verizon to AT&T and have had 100% less problems since the switch. All of the issues really depend on your area of the country.
Generally, most people think that "their" wireless carrier is the best.... For what it's worth, my brother-in-law is a telecom engineer for one of the cell-tower builders/operators and he travels the entire country dealing with their towers and he said, for the best coverage, Verizon wins hands-down. He's not saying they have 100% coverage by any means, but their coverage is better than all of the others.

If I could choose a wiress carrier (and I have had many) it would be Verizon.

While Sprints Data Network was a little better quality wise, Verizon worked great for me everywhere and the customer service was decent.

Sprints Network ROCKS but the customer service sucks and they have a limited area they service around here.

AT&T has the iPhone but their data network stinks and is highly oversold. Instead of fixing their network they continue to sell phones and instead limit what you can do with the internet service you pay for.

Personally I think if AT&T wanted to show they were serious about providing good service they would stop signing up new customers until their bandwidth issues were resolved.

Yet there were hundreds and thousands of people waiting in line for it the day it was released.... I guess Apple and AT&T did their job at hyping it up and plenty of people fell for it !
Yeah. I call those people "The Stupids" and feel that their minds need to be purged. And I'm sure they felt even better when after they got their POS phones, Apple released a better model at a significantly reduced price. I love how people say that Apple is so "cool" and "different" yet in my view they're the biggest corporate douche bags outside of Enron and Worldcom. At least those companies had the decency to violate their customers behind closed doors. Apple does it in public in front of everyone to see, and what's worse, people seem to like it because they keep coming back for more!!

Generally, most people think that "their" wireless carrier is the best.... For what it's worth, my brother-in-law is a telecom engineer for one of the cell-tower builders/operators and he travels the entire country dealing with their towers and he said, for the best coverage, Verizon wins hands-down. He's not saying they have 100% coverage by any means, but their coverage is better than all of the others.

Verizon around here is kinda low on the coverage thing. Kinda make sense when we are far from the Verizon territory.

I beleive Scott is correct. At least for a smartphone there is a limit of 5G on their "Unlimited" internet. Tethering is actually forbidden unless you get that separate plan. Go to a cellphone forum such as Howardfourms....... There was great discussion when this went into effect as to whether it was a change to the contract and thus allowed a customer to end their contract without penalties.....

Att calls this a "Soft Cap"

Last edited:
Apple is a cult culture. AT&T is not. AT&T is a hard line don't give a sh*t big business culture. The combination of the two was a win win for them as long as it lasts. Now the technology is almost caught up so now they will have to bend a bit to maintain the so called iphone superiority.
As a company, Apple does very well with it's cult promoting philosophy. It has terriffic earnings per share but never pays dividends out to share holders. AT&T, is a stable stock and pays a nice dividend as well. I own both stocks but I do far better with AT&T hands down. It's like the technology, When I want to appear cool I show off my MacBook Pro and its Final Cut software. But when I want to make money efficiently on my laptop, I get the Dell out and edit on Vegas.

I beleive Scott is correct. At least for a smartphone there is a limit of 5G on their "Unlimited" internet. Tethering is actually forbidden unless you get that separate plan. Go to a cellphone forum such as Howardfourms....... There was great discussion when this went into effect as to whether it was a change to the contract and thus allowed a customer to end their contract without penalties.....

Att calls this a "Soft Cap"

There is only a limit if you have a teathering plan.

..... Does the iphone lose internet connection when a phone call comes in?

No. It's only happened to me once (incoming call while surfing), but I kept internet and voice.

BTW, I use Verizon in the Ashland/Richmond area of VA, and AT&T phones in the Northern VA area. Best reception for the respective areas for the respective companies. Company phones, of course, for people working out of those respective areas.

If you travel, choose Verizon or AT&T. If you don't, look at some tiny local wireless company that might possibly give better coverage/price in your local area. Let's not get religious about these companies. Give your business to the one that serves you best. And MOVE when they fail you. Take your phone number with you, if you want.

Today, I'd say Verizon has on the whole, better 3G coverage. AT&T, I believe, has slightly better, overall, nationwide voice coverage. And compatibility with the world, being GSM (even if CDMA is a bit more efficient). If you travel outside the country, this is of value. And Rollover minutes can be important.

Maybe AT&T will be more successful in deploying 4G. Maybe not. Go with the company that serves you best today and for the near term future.

navychop-

Travel overseas with your world compatible GSM service is not always a given, nor is it a given that your CDMA phone will not work overseas. A couple years ago when I was still on T-mobile, I was traveling in Mexico and was assured that my T-Mobile would work when I asked at the T-Mobile store. Fact is- once there I discovered that in order for the T-Mobile phone service to work I had to call ahaead and set up the particular country I wanted to travel BEFORE leaving the US. One of my clients learned that the hard way as well when he went on a trip to Europe. Two years ago I was on Verizon and was planning a business trip with my wife to Grand Cayman. I was assured my Verizon phone would not work by Verizon CSR. My wife and I felt we could get by using co worker's cell phone for the few days we were there. Guess what? We get there and the AT&T service was down in GC but surprisingly, I tested my XV6700 and it placed the call fine. I also was able to get e-mail via the dialup speed but no EVDO. As it turned out several co workers were using our Verizon phone. The cost was averaging about $2 a minute for all the roaming calls that week. Apparently, the local cell service put in the CDMA radio equipment for the roaming resale. They must have understood the Roaming profit picture of all those US tourists in GC. I'm sure the regulation is minimal and basically free to just tap into the other services.

For faster internet service I was able to get a local wifi service for the week and it worked great, actually was faster than my Comcast service from home back then. I believe I had to pay $22 a day for that fast wifi service and it worked in Georgetown but not outside of town.

The only issues I have with AT&T and the iPhone deal with dropped calls out of the blue, iPhone lockups, and expensive service. :(

My iPhone has never dropped a call, unless I moved to a no signal area. Never locked up. I pay $30 more per month above my family plan for unlimited use.

Neutron- Maybe it's the other party using T-Mobile that is dropping the calls. :) The only dropped calls I ever get these days is from people on T-Mobile.

Neutron- Maybe it's the other party using T-Mobile that is dropping the calls. :) The only dropped calls I ever get these days is from people on T-Mobile.
I get constant drops on AT&T here in DFW. I mostly call landlines, so its not T-Mobiles fault.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts