AT&T selling U-verse in Ct

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
I didn't see it posted, AT&T is leaving Ct. with the exception of wireless. Connecticut will not allow them to divest of just the hardline/landline business so they are leaving. Frontier is buying the landline and U-verse business. This is apparently being seen as very good for landline as they are behind continuing that technology, and leaves the door open for Frontier to expand U-verse to the 27 States they do business in.

http://stopthecap.com/2013/12/17/at-u-verse-tv-available-to-frontier-customers-nationwide/

AT&T has sent out letters to hardline customers informing them they can no longer use the AT&T calling card.

It is ironic that AT&T is talking about 1gbps internet speed introduction in Uverse markets & expansion into new markets that are primarily DSL,but they are selling off their Uverse assets in CT.

That's because the Connecticut Network is beyond repair. There is a reason AT&T wanted to get out of Connecticut.

Maybe if they did regular maintenance and upgrades on their system, it wouldn't have been so bad. In a state the size of Connecticut they could have converted the majority of their old, aging copper with fiber in the last decade. The Connecticut Public Service Commission should sue ATT for not living up to their end of the bargain of getting guaranteed profits by keeping the system solid. What really sucks about aging copper, is that I bet that states would approve a rate increase to pay for an upgrade to fiber. But ATT/Verizon just want to get out of the landline business. No unions and less regulation in the wireless business.

Last edited:
AT&T was evil to Connecticut... (My opinion)

There were other companies that wanted to come into Connecticut and AT&T worked to keep that from happening. If I remember correctly one company was working to get its network up, in the West Hartford Area, but they kept finding that their equipment and wires on the poles were damaged... of course AT&T didn't know who would do such a thing. The cost of fixing all the breaking equipment was one of the big reasons they went out of business.

AT&T was evil to Connecticut... (My opinion)

There were other companies that wanted to come into Connecticut and AT&T worked to keep that from happening. If I remember correctly one company was working to get its network up, in the West Hartford Area, but they kept finding that their equipment and wires on the poles were damaged... of course AT&T didn't know who would do such a thing. The cost of fixing all the breaking equipment was one of the big reasons they went out of business.
Wasn't that when SNET was trying to start a cable company and it never really got off the ground.

As for the DPUC or now PURA suing, they hand what ever these companies want. There is no consumer protection.

Read the article I posted, it tells the entire story. :D
So when ATT built out U-verse, did they use any of that old network or did they just bury that old wire and start over. And now it sounds like they will lease the network to Frontier. This sounds like another mess in a few years when existing customer contracts come up for renewal.

As far as I have heard AT&T is staying in Connecticut, they just won't be doing residential. The residential will be handled by Frontier. But the commercial stuff will still all be AT&T.

Who knows maybe AT&T wants Frontier to fix their network up for them, then give them the boot when they are done.

As far as I have heard AT&T is staying in Connecticut, they just won't be doing residential. The residential will be handled by Frontier. But the commercial stuff will still all be AT&T.

Who knows maybe AT&T wants Frontier to fix their network up for them, then give them the boot when they are done.
The articles I have read say they will continue with business and wireless and sell off the landline and TV side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)