AT&T starts metering data usage.

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
Here's the information from their Facebook page. Even though I fit comfortably within the second plan (2GB) I'm very leery of this move. I don't think it bodes well for customers.

Oh, and for you Verizon smartasses, they're going to be doing this too soon. So don't gloat too much.

New Wireless Data Plans

We have thought long and hard about how to come up with a data pricing structure that serves the largest number of people and brings the benefits of the mobile broadband revolution to those who have been, until now, unable to afford it. Here's where we started: 98% of our customers use less than 2GBs of data a month on average...and yet the traditional “one size fits all” pricing model has been that EVERYBODY pays for the ability to consume much more than what the vast majority of our customers typically use. Day after day we listen to you guys tell us that smartphone plans are too high and that you want to be able to get the best phones at a lower monthly price. We've looked at all kinds of options and where we've landed is a usage-based pricing system for new smartphone customers that can lower the price for smartphone use. So here's the deal: if you are a current smartphone customer you're not required to switch to one of the new plans. However, if you'd like a data plan more tailored to your needs, you can switch to one of the two new plans we're introducing.

Below you'll find more details on these new plans. Take a look and if you have any questions, head back over to the wall and we'll do our best to address whatever concerns you have.

* DataPlus. For people who want the coolest smartphones on the market, but intent to use them mostly for calling, texting, sending email, occassionally checking social networks and surfing the Web, or who plan to take advantage of Wi-Fi for much of their data use, we're offering a new plan that is half the price of the current data plan: 200MB for $15 a month. That's enough, for example, to send/receive 1,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 150 emails with attachments, plus view 400 Web pages, plus post 50 photos on social media sites, plus watch 20 minutes of streaming video (though your usage will vary based on your Internet usage patterns). This plan is intended for people who use less than 200 MB, but if you go over that amount in a monthly billing cycle, you will receive an additional 200 MB for $15 for use during the billing cycle.
* DataPro: For those who want more, we're offering 10 times the data for $25 a month. 2GB is a lot of data...it's more than 98% of our current smartphone customers use a month on average today. For example, it’s enough, to send/receive 10,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 1,500 emails with attachments, plus view 4,000 Web pages, plus post 500 photos to social media sites, plus watch 200 minutes of streaming video. (Again, your usage will vary based on your internet usage patterns.) If you go over that amount in a given billing cycle you will receive 1 GB of data for $10 for use during the cycle.
* Tethering: Smartphone customers – including iPhone customers – who choose the DataPro plan have the option to add tethering for an additional $20 per month. Tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases OS 4 this summer.

So, with the new wireless data plans, pricing for a smartphone voice and data bundle now starts at $54.99 per month for an individual plan, or $24.99 per month for an additional line on a FamilyTalk plan. That's $15 per month less than the price of the previous entry level bundle.

* For new iPad customers, the $25 per month 2 GB plan will replace the existing $29.99 unlimited plan. iPad customers will continue to pre-pay for their wireless data plan and no contract is required. Existing iPad customers who have the $29.99 per month unlimited plan are not required to change their plans.

Glad I am with Verizon but I have feeling they will follow. AT&T is trying to curb data usage on Iphones. I have a Moto Droid. Since I now van pool for 90 minutes a day total my usage is up drastically. Under there plan I would be $35 because last month I hit 2.5GB of usage stream iHeart, Pandora and now Sirius.

I also utilize email exchange and my average email is 145K per message with attachments.

They have to pay for the new 4G network some way..why not make the heavy data users carry the load (yup I know they are currently a 3G network)

Glad I am with Verizon but I have feeling they will follow. AT&T is trying to curb data usage on Iphones. I have a Moto Droid. Since I now van pool for 90 minutes a day total my usage is up drastically. Under there plan I would be $35 because last month I hit 2.5GB of usage stream iHeart, Pandora and now Sirius.

I also utilize email exchange and my average email is 145K per message with attachments.
Verizon has always had a 5GB cap on their "unlimited" plan.

Verizon Admits that their Unlimited Data Plan is Limited to 5GB Per Month

I think I'll just stick with my current $30 unlimited plan. I don't like the idea that if I drop it I can't get it back.

My iPhone usage is usually under 250MB/month. I do not tether often. What I do not like is that they are charging $20/month for tethering. They should throw in tethering for the $25/month plan, you share the data with the phone, so the $20 is not for any extra data.

I think $10/GB is steep. I guess it will limit streaming of TV to the phone. $1-$2 would be a more realistic range. That way if you downloaded a movie off iTunes it would be like $5 data charge. I know it sounds insane to download a movie on 3G, but 4G next year will make it practical.

mike123abc said:
My iPhone usage is usually under 250MB/month. I do not tether often. What I do not like is that they are charging $20/month for tethering. They should throw in tethering for the $25/month plan, you share the data with the phone, so the $20 is not for any extra data.

I think $10/GB is steep. I guess it will limit streaming of TV to the phone. $1-$2 would be a more realistic range. That way if you downloaded a movie off iTunes it would be like $5 data charge. I know it sounds insane to download a movie on 3G, but 4G next year will make it practical.

That is the reason it stinks. Based on my current data usage the new att plan will easly cost me $200.00 per year. I fullu expect att make evrryone switch to the new plan.

Since I just started using Slingbox on my iPhone 3G, there's no way I'm going to get rid of my unlimited data plan. The extra $5 a month is worth it to me.

Personally, I am glad to see AT&T and others metering data use. Setting tiers based on use should hopefully limit the number of abusers ~or~ at least get them to pay their fair share.

Indeed, as a moto droid user on verizon. I stream slacker almost daily for about 10-12 hours a day. I surf the web, I am always downloading new roms using rom manager. I think I hit maybe 2 gb a month one time. If I can use my phone to the max. I see why people who blow 5+gb on a "phone" should be forced to pay more....maybe then my rate will go down and not have to pay for there bandwidth.

Tiered plans are surely the future for all providers, I just hope they go about it in a non-stupid way.

Give me 4 or 5 tiers, at $x per MB, and as I blow past the limits, automatically upgrade my plan, send a text message stating I've entered the next tier (or another notification on the phone, that has to be acknowledged). Each tier is just more per MB, on demand. If I have a light month or never go over, then I've always got the cheapest plan. Add controls on the website to require a code to upgrade plans, or lock your phone at a certain plan.

What I don't want to see is traps... go over your plan and you're paying enough to put a man on the moon because you were streaming something and fell asleep and then the rest of th month your data is all considered and overage and you have no idea until your next bill.

I am constantly on my iPhone streaming XM or internet radio, viewing and listening to baseball games, and streaming the net, and yet the most data I have ever used in one month was 215 Mb.

My wife streams Pandora/Grooveshark almost all day/every day and she has used 2.2gb since 5/16.

Domestic Data Used
2,290,663.74 Kilobytes Used
Estimate as of 06/02/10 7:28 AM

I'm the one that cant put down his cell phone and stuff, yet I have a feeble 350mb.

Domestic Data Used
352,350.07 Kilobytes Used
Estimate as of 06/01/10 4:38 PM

I just looked at my data usage on the AT&T website...

The data only goes back to November 09...

Nov 09 - 546 MB
Dec 09 - 334 MB
JAN 10 - 710 MB
Feb 10 - 575 MB
Mar 10 - 641 MB
Apr 10 - 236 MB
May 10 - 756 MB

I was surprised as I figured I was one of those folks who was near or over 2 GB a month in data use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts