AT&T to begin offering shared data plans?

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
AT&T to Begin Offering Shared Data Plans in Late August - Mac Rumors

Following Verizon's move to shared data plans last month, AT&T announced its own shift scheduled for late August. The new system offers a similar setup to Verizon's, with all plans including unlimited talk and text and monthly service pricing being based simply on the total data allotment and number and type of devices being used.

With AT&T Mobile Share plans, customers start by choosing how much data they want each month, then choose up to 10 devices to attach to their shared plan, one of which must be a smartphone. Each plan includes tethering and unlimited domestic calls and texts for smartphones and basic or quick messaging phones. The larger the data bucket you choose, the less you pay per gigabyte and the less you pay for each smartphone added to the shared plan

Looking that over, it would cost me more for less. I have a 3GS & my wife has an iPad 3rd gen.

No savings for me. Currently paying 214 a month for 3 iphones and a regular phone with Federal Employee discount, 1400 mins and unlimited family texting plan. I have unlimited (3gb) data on mine and the other iphones have 2gb and 200mb data packages.

Looking at $220 for 4gb data or $225 for 6gb data before taxes and discounts with those 4 phones. The only real benefit to me would be the tethering for our tablets and/or laptop's. I might use facetime a little more with the iOS6 release, as my nephews think its cool to call me with it, but it appears ATT is going to charge extra for using that over 3g/4g.

It would cost me a little more also but it would allow me to get rid of the home phone. Having unlimited voice would allow me the chance to finally cut the cord. It will also be nice to have the tethering option as my daughters would be able to use the Internet and such on their iTouch during trips.

Since I have 3 smartphones, 1 mobile hotspot and 2 LTE tablets, I would actually save money. I also would gain unlimited calls and texting. I despise texting, and refuse to pay additional for it, so I currently have it blocked on all my devices.

My only concern would be if they didnt honor my corporate discount on these plans.

I called Enterprise customer service today and digged for info on the company discounts. I get 20% off through my employer, but it currently only discounts my main line (of a family plan) and data plans over 5GB (or previously 4GB). That means I save $20 on my $140 bill currently.

The CSR read several things for about 5 minutes and finally found it. The company (FAN) discounts on the new shared plans will apply only to the shared data price. So a 6GB plan for example would save me 20%, an $18 discount. On a 10GB plan a $24 discount.

Essentially, though treated differently, most cases the discount will be similar to what it is today.

What is really enticing me, I am thinking about eliminating my home phone & DSL and going to the mobile shared data only with AT&T this fall, eliminating a $70/mo bill for home phone/internet (they won't sell me DSL without phone, man that erks me).

Even a 15GB plan would be less than I currently pay for my two iphones, home phone with 100 local calls only, and 15MB DSL.

Just need to decide if I'm willing to sacrifice my Slingbox (getting rarely used these days) and Directv On Demand (also only used about once a month). On Demand could be done through teathered wifi, but would need to be an exception at the cost of data.

Guess I need to figure out how much data I use at home, I have no idea on that one.

jcrandall said:
What is really enticing me, I am thinking about eliminating my home phone & DSL and going to the mobile shared data only with AT&T this fall, eliminating a $70/mo bill for home phone/internet (they won't sell me DSL without phone, man that erks me).

Even a 15GB plan would be less than I currently pay for my two iphones, home phone with 100 local calls only, and 15MB DSL.

Just need to decide if I'm willing to sacrifice my Slingbox (getting rarely used these days) and Directv On Demand (also only used about once a month). On Demand could be done through teathered wifi, but would need to be an exception at the cost of data.

Guess I need to figure out how much data I use at home, I have no idea on that one.

15 gigs for home and phone use seems very very low. There's no way that would work in my household.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

They re paying for several different data palans now. One shared paln would bea good thing for them. Personally it won't help at all but at least I can be happy for others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts