AT&T to Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sports recordings on all Dish DVRs add a one hour pad.

Thanks very much. I knew I saw something when I first started everything up... thought it was 2 hours, but an hour is good enough for most college games.

Of course as slow as ALL sports have gotten, and getting slower each year, it's going to need a 2 hour padding soon. lol..

There is no way to adjust it and there never was. You can, however, set the timer to longer.
You can adjust a sports one time timer to lower the end time too. I do it every weekend when I set all my racing timers for the weekend. I use to make a sports series timer with the HWS old UI but don't anymore because the new CUI does not have the timer event edit setting anymore.

You can adjust a sports one time timer to lower the end time too. I do it every weekend when I set all my racing timers for the weekend. I use to make a sports series timer with the HWS old UI but don't anymore because the new CUI does not have the timer event edit setting anymore.
I am unsure what you mean when you say you don't have the timer event edit setting. I see one just like I always did.

Reactions: HipKat
I am unsure what you mean when you say you don't have the timer event edit setting. I see one just like I always did.
In the old UI you had the option called Edit Event. You could adjust a start early or end late time for a particular scheduled program without having to change the basic series timer.

In the old UI you had the option called Edit Event. You could adjust a start early or end late time for a particular scheduled program without having to change the basic series timer.
I see what you are saying. I set an event and was able to adjust end time. Then I went to a series event for a single day. When I adjusted that I looked at the series timer and saw that the series was adjusted as well. Thinking about it, with 16 tuners, I really don't care. I can see how that could be an issue with an H2.

I see what you are saying. I set an event and was able to adjust end time. Then I went to a series event for a single day. When I adjusted that I looked at the series timer and saw that the series was adjusted as well. Thinking about it, with 16 tuners, I really don't care. I can see how that could be an issue with an H2.
If you set a series timer for any of the major car races, a scheduled timer would also set for the qualifying, practice races, etc. programs too. Most of these programs would run together because of the sports hour overage. I would use the Edit Event feature to change the end late times so each recording would blend in together if you can kind of understand what I mean. Since I went to the new CUI I just don't set series timers anymore for car races. Once a week I set one time timers for all the races I want to record. You are correct, no big deal with the Hopper 3. In fact for the default timer setting I have 10 minute end late time set. We no longer have the recorded program ending getting cut off sometimes. This has made my wife super happy and off my a-- now. She use to give me hell whenever the endings got cut off. Life is good now with the Hopper 3. ;)

Welp, I'm still alive! lol :)

The boss lady of course was still "miffed", but... :shrugs: The biggest gripe? Why didn't they take the old dish with them! Why couldn't they hide the new dish better? lol :) I see a new bush/evergreen being planted next spring to "hide" it. :)

Welp, I'm still alive! lol :)

The boss lady of course was still "miffed", but... :shrugs: The biggest gripe? Why didn't they take the old dish with them! Why couldn't they hide the new dish better? lol :) I see a new bush/evergreen being planted next spring to "hide" it. :)

Congrats, I have been using Dish now for a week now after being with Dish for 9 years. I'm really happy with the move. Just the Dish anywhere makes it worth it to me. I can use it at work. I need an unlimited data plan for my phone lol

First big storm rolled through tonight. Not sure exactly how long everything went off, but it was close to 30-45 minutes I think. I will say that this was a BIG storm that dumped 3.2 inches in an hour. More rain is coming.

I really need either a new antenna or move the one I have up to the attic or something. Wasn't getting very good OTA reception during the storm.

It seems that I keep a signal all the way to around 14 or so.

So far I like everything about Dish better than I did AT&T. The Hopper 3 is awesome. I've set up recordings, and for the first time, I haven't worried about conflicting recording times, etc... :)

The Primetime function works great as well.

A question about signal strength.

I had what I consider light to medium strength rain roll through today/tonight. Basically red and bright orange... which places it about 4 steps down from the highest (purple).

During that time my signals were reading down to 20, depending on which SAT and which transponder the channels were on.
I'm curious if there should be a drastic difference between signal levels on the same SAT, 61.5? One channel would be say on Transponder 12 and I'd get a signal of 46, another would be say transponder 5 and I'd get 35...

Just curious if this is normal, or if this is something I should call in about?

Thanks all for the info. :)

Thanks for the information. Quite a bit different than the way AT&T did it. :)

I'll keep an eye on the next storm coming through this weekend.

A question about signal strength.

I had what I consider light to medium strength rain roll through today/tonight. Basically red and bright orange... which places it about 4 steps down from the highest (purple).

During that time my signals were reading down to 20, depending on which SAT and which transponder the channels were on.
I'm curious if there should be a drastic difference between signal levels on the same SAT, 61.5? One channel would be say on Transponder 12 and I'd get a signal of 46, another would be say transponder 5 and I'd get 35...

Just curious if this is normal, or if this is something I should call in about?

Thanks all for the info. :)

Other than your OTA poor signal, just relax and enjoy your new toy.:D

Signal definitely drops out faster than AT&T did. Not bad by any stretch....

Re-worked my OTA wiring. Since I no longer need OTA to go to any other TV than my main one with the Hopper 3, I got rid of the 3 way splitter. Now getting 100% on the majority of channels. 75% on one network with its sub-channels.

Reactions: charlesrshell
After a year with DISH I'll state that the Hopper 3 is awesome. Hardware side, DISH is the best. But... signal wise, the signal goes out much earlier and stays out much longer than AT&T.
I've had a tech come out a few weeks ago and he adjusted the dish, said it was off by quite a bit, but I'm still losing signal pretty easily.

Today I happened to notice that if I spray water, from a garden hose, onto the LNB, the signal goes out completely. Now, a garden hose?? It wasn't even full stream, just on like one of those flower watering sprays. Surely this can't be normal?

I'm attempting to contact DISH at the moment, but not sure if anyone is home. Been waiting for over 30 minutes and nothing. Tried to hit the "chat" button on DISH, not working. Tried sending a message on twitter, nothing.

Today I happened to notice that if I spray water, from a garden hose, onto the LNB, the signal goes out completely. Now, a garden hose?? It wasn't even full stream, just on like one of those flower watering sprays. Surely this can't be normal?
Ironically, some people use a garden hose to get the signal to come back, if the LNB gets too hot.
Heat affecting LNB

Ironically, some people use a garden hose to get the signal to come back, if the LNB gets too hot.
Heat affecting LNB

Finally someone answered at DIsh... tech coming out on Monday. They agreed that a garden hose shouldn't kill the signal.

As for the the heat, I tried that last week when I noticed signal levels would drop when the sun started hitting the dish. Signal levels would rise 10-20 points after cooling it down. The only reason I found out that the same spraying was causing the signal drop, while actually spraying it, was the boss lady was home this time and wondered why the signal dropped. ooops..

So spraying it helps the signal level go up, but also causes it to drop when actually spraying it. Yeah... I need a new lnb. :)

Finally someone answered at DIsh... tech coming out on Monday. They agreed that a garden hose shouldn't kill the signal.

As for the the heat, I tried that last week when I noticed signal levels would drop when the sun started hitting the dish. Signal levels would rise 10-20 points after cooling it down. The only reason I found out that the same spraying was causing the signal drop, while actually spraying it, was the boss lady was home this time and wondered why the signal dropped. ooops..

So spraying it helps the signal level go up, but also causes it to drop when actually spraying it. Yeah... I need a new lnb. :)

Yeah, Dish should have fewer signal losses due to rain than DirecTV, in general. Hope the new LNB fixes your problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts