AT&T To KEEP the DIRECTV Name

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've seen the installer guys running around in their new vans and nowhere on them does it say "Directv". I don't understand why you would take years of successful branding and kill it.

2 steps forward and 3 backwards imo.

Not really, the DIRECTV name will remain.... it will just be next to the AT&T Deathstar... I mean Globe. :D

0cf83897bb04df86fcfe4ed926f584b2.png

Reactions: ChadT41
I wonder what the "launch of our next generation TV platform means." Could that be the receiver that will be able to do both U-Verse and DirecTV?

So what will happen to uVerse TV customers? How will the transition occur? And for that matter, what will happen to current DirecTV customers? How long will the transition take? Two years? Four years?

Oh for God's sake... please don't ruin the DirecTV software platform! It's the best TV software platform I've seen in quite some time.

I wonder what the "launch of our next generation TV platform means." Could that be the receiver that will be able to do both U-Verse and DirecTV?
The actual DSLReports article quasi-speculates on this (I don't recall if they directly linked to supporting evidence or not).

Basically, AT&T now appears to be looking for a way they can move everything to as an efficient pathway to the premises as possible, and may be attempting to create a new customer infrastructure that "does not care" (to characterize how they may be marketing the equipment) exactly what pipe the packets use to reach the final destination.

Of course, this is the ultimate pipe-dream that every carrier attempts to promise -- "we'll give you a box and you'll receive whatever you want, however you want it."

What's so [almost] ironic about all of this is the recent experience I had with a tech who was servicing a pedestal in our neighborhood. I approached him (he was working on another call) and asked him what the deal was with U-verse coming out to us (we live merely miles from a town on the east side of Atlanta), given that U-verse was already spotty throughout our town. He mentioned that the only infrastructure out our way was a DSLAM for DSL and no VRADS for U-verse to speak of. He also mentioned that our area was essentially packed with phone subscribers (kind of funny considering we, as an example, are completely off landlines for phone). He said we'd have better luck with AT&T running fiber versus waiting for U-verse. I said I agreed and would be continuing to feed the evil beast that is Comcast (can't complain too much about 90Mbps broadband, the service of which is really good).

I really don't know what AT&T is up to. However, given that their customer support for wireless is completely different and significantly better (in my experiences) than their support was for when we had DSL, I'll have to bias my view on the unlikelihood of all of this getting pulled off.

We'll see.

Disclaimer: Long T

why not make it a longer name.....like they do in sports ;)

"Welcome back to the Ray Christensen broadcast booth here at TCF Bank stadium"

Reactions: Annie61
I've seen the installer guys running around in their new vans and nowhere on them does it say "Directv". I don't understand why you would take years of successful branding and kill it.

2 steps forward and 3 backwards imo.
Today's marketing gurus never use anything from the past. Everything today must appear to be new.

Typical snake oil sales tactics.

Perfect time to screw it up...
You know it.

AT&T still has my login from when I used their dialup for Internet instead of my current crappy Verizon DSL service.

My old AT&T ID has come up a few times now when I'm trying to use DirecTV Guide when it ask me to login.

Typical AT&T screw up a good brand and go with their brand which stinks imo and they could screw up a ... .....! ;) :)

Is it me or does nothing in there say that it's going to "be killed in January"?

I don't recall there ever being a release date on the "next generation tv platform" of January...

according to this link.....http://www.fiercecable.com/story/at...way-directv-brand-starting-january/2015-12-02
Eventually the Direwct name will be dropped entirely and the Uverse/Directv platforms will be named "AT&T Entertainment....
Snip....
""Once we have established our next generation TV platform, we plan to transition all TV product names to AT&T Entertainment to symbolize our move to a single entertainment portfolio," AT&T added."

I am figuring AT&T will roll out a marketing campaign heavy on bundling Tv/phone and internet....The thing is most places will not be in AT&T's wired footprint. So satellite service will be the only connection possible to AT&T.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts