AT&T To Reorganize DTV Will Be Under New Division

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CSM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Chesterfield, MO
Saw this news. DTV is moving to a new unit and wont be under the AT&T Entertainment Group anymore and Stankey and Donovan are switching roles. Donovan will now be in charge of the DTV and Telecom Group. Stankey will oversee the AT&T Entertainment Group will now just be the Time Warner media division.

AT&T Plans Major Changes After Buying Time Warner

Sorry I misspelled Reorganize in the title

Saw this news. DTV is moving to a new unit and wont be under the AT&T Entertainment Group anymore and Stankey and Donovan are switching roles. Donovan will now be in charge of the DTV and Telecom Group. Stankey will oversee the AT&T Entertainment Group will now just be the Time Warner media division.

I really like John. He is a very good leader and knows the ins and outs of the business very well. They are doing this to make sure that the media side doesn't interfere with the distribution side of the house. It will keep the regulators at bay as it's two separate divisions of the company that really wont interact with each other. DirecTV does it's thing, and Time Warner part does it's thing. Keeping them separate is a smart move on multiple levels.

Fixed it for you. :)

I really like John. He is a very good leader and knows the ins and outs of the business very well. They are doing this to make sure that the media side doesn't interfere with the distribution side of the house. It will keep the regulators at bay as it's two separate divisions of the company that really wont interact with each other. DirecTV does it's thing, and Time Warner part does it's thing. Keeping them separate is a smart move on multiple levels.

I hope this ends up being true in practice and not just appearance. I hate the idea of HBO belonging to a cable/satellite provider as large as AT&T/Directv for a couple reasons. I'm sure they will continue to offer HBO to other providers but I hope it's not offered in the way that CSN Philly is offered where it's technically available but the price is so high that no one is willing to pay it.

The other reason is that the current ownership is doing a great job managing HBO. They are willing to invest major budgets to make amazing shows like Game of Thrones that other networks can't or won't match. Surprisingly the pricing has actually gone down a few bucks over the last few years because of offerings like HBO Now. I really hate to see the ownership change to anyone new because there is no guarantee that the new ownership will follow the same path they are currently on.

I hope this ends up being true in practice and not just appearance. I hate the idea of HBO belonging to a cable/satellite provider as large as AT&T/Directv for a couple reasons. I'm sure they will continue to offer HBO to other providers but I hope it's not offered in the way that CSN Philly is offered where it's technically available but the price is so high that no one is willing to pay it.

The other reason is that the current ownership is doing a great job managing HBO. They are willing to invest major budgets to make amazing shows like Game of Thrones that other networks can't or won't match. Surprisingly the pricing has actually gone down a few bucks over the last few years because of offerings like HBO Now. I really hate to see the ownership change to anyone new because there is no guarantee that the new ownership will follow the same path they are currently on.
Ummm time Warner used to own a huge cable network

Reactions: goaliebob99
Ummm time Warner used to own a huge cable network

If I understand it correctly the Time Warner TV networks were spun off from the cable company a long time ago. Either way I don't think Time Warner Cable was ever nearly as big as AT&T/Directv. I said I would hate to see HBO owned by a cable/satellite provider as large as AT&T/Directv.

In general I don't think TV networks being owned by a cable provider/satellite provider is a good thing but I think it's probably even worse when it's owned by a cable company with that large of a market share.

A big part of my reasoning for not liking this was that I don't want to see HBO ownership change period. The current regime is doing a great job with programming and new owners could always jeopardize that.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlecloud319
If I understand it correctly the Time Warner TV networks were spun off from the cable company a long time ago. Either way I don't think Time Warner Cable was ever nearly as big as AT&T/Directv. I said I would hate to see HBO owned by a cable/satellite provider as large as AT&T/Directv.

In general I don't think TV networks being owned by a cable provider/satellite provider but I think it's probably even worse when it's owned by a cable company with that large of a market share.

A big part of my reasoning for not liking this was that I don't want to see HBO ownership change period. The current regime is doing a great job with programming and new owners could always jeopardize that.
hbo was started in 1971 or and was run by a cable company that eventually became part of time warner..but yes they spun the cable part off

hbo was started in 1971 or and was run by a cable company that eventually became part of time warner..but yes they spun the cable part off
Don't forget Time Warner was bought by AOL before the parent got eaten by the kid and spit out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.