DirecTV Now to rebrand under AT&T TV family.

Why do you have to pay for yet another obnoxious, inferior proprietary box to use this service? This defeats the entire purpose of "streaming"

There is nothing that that crappy AT&T box they're launching for this service can do that my PC can't do 100x better.

No Windows 10 app to access the service means this is a non-starter.

I tried selling Directv now for about a year.

Every day I would get people asking where they get the equipment. Or if they can go and pick it up.

Some people will never understand streaming and the concept of using their own streaming device like a Roku.

I had one lady I remember signing up for Directv now, then argued with me for a week to get a refund because she couldn’t figure it out and that was after I registered her account for her, and created the username and password.

People want to call up an 800 number. Order the service, have the equipment delivered and hook it up.

The fact you need a Roku, download the app, create an online account is too much for a lot of people to figure out.

The box in this service makes it more like the traditional cable people are used to

The AT&T TV app is available for Android TV from the Google Play Store as of this week. So you can install the app and use it on the Nvidia Shield TV, the Mi Box, etc.

Are you sure they'll allow it though? The information they've released so far says they'll allow use on customer owned mobile devices, but nothing about customer owned set tops.

Attachments

• NAS 1.jpg
    NAS 1.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 251
Crazy. That’s more, way more, than the company I work at has.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Are you sure they'll allow it though? The information they've released so far says they'll allow use on customer owned mobile devices, but nothing about customer owned set tops.

Well, they're *definitely* allowing AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now) customers to use the AT&T TV app on TV-connected devices (e.g. Roku, Nvidia Shield TV, etc.) in addition to mobile devices. And I think that's the situation that Jimbo was asking me about.

As for whether or not AT&T TV customers can use that app on TV-connected devices, we may have to wait for the initial reports from actual AT&T TV subscribers to be 100% certain. But a few weeks ago, I did read an industry article in which an AT&T bigwig said that the upcoming service would insist on taking their own streaming box but would probably allow customers to use their own devices on secondary TVs if they wished. Combine that with the fact that AT&T TV comes with 3 streams but only 1 box and it seems *highly* unlikely to me that AT&T will tell their flagship AT&T TV customers that they cannot access the service on their own Roku, Apple TV, etc. when they're allowing their lower-priority AT&T TV Now customers that option.

I wouldn't call AT&T TV Now customers "lower priority". That's a different product, and with it comes different capabilities.

I don't expect them to let people use their own set tops for AT&T TV since they don't for Directv. They want a more polished product which means using devices they know the capabilities of and have full control over the GUI/remote.

I wouldn't call AT&T TV Now customers "lower priority". That's a different product, and with it comes different capabilities.

I don't expect them to let people use their own set tops for AT&T TV since they don't for Directv. They want a more polished product which means using devices they know the capabilities of and have full control over the GUI/remote.

We'll see. I think they're going to run into a lot of angry AT&T TV customers if they essentially tell them "Yeah, the service comes with 3 streams but you can only use 1 of those 3 streams on a TV unless you pay us an extra $120 for each of those other two streams in order to buy additional AT&T TV boxes. Otherwise, streams #2 and #3 are only viewable on a phone or tablet." That's just not going to fly.

And, yeah, I would definitely call AT&T TV Now "lower priority". It's not meant for customers who take AT&T home broadband service. And unlike AT&T TV customers, who sign a contract and are willing to commit to sticking around for awhile, AT&T TV Now customers can drop and add the service from month to month with impunity. AT&T has to offer *something* to compete in that space (although, as it's currently structured, AT&T TV Now isn't very competitive against YouTube TV or Hulu with Live TV). But AT&T clearly sees AT&T TV as their main, flagship cable TV product, not AT&T TV Now.

Well, on my Android Sony Oled ...
If I ask for ATT TV or ATT TV Now it pulls up a bunch of options, but None of them are ATT TV ...

Now Roku may be different.

Well, on my Android Sony Oled ...
If I ask for ATT TV or ATT TV Now it pulls up a bunch of options, but None of them are ATT TV ...

Now Roku may be different.

Yeah, I just checked the supported devices list over at atttvnow.com and they still don't list Android TV. I did read somewhere this week (from what I thought was a decent source) that they have or are about to roll out an AT&T TV app for Android TV, but maybe that was bad info? If so, sorry for passing it along. It could be that it's on its way soon but just hasn't arrived yet...

Here are the devices that are for sure supported right now, per their site:

Roku
Apple TV (HD & 4K)
Fire TV
Chromecast
Samsung smart TV

Obviously, only certain/most recent models of the above devices are supported. For instance, just some 2017 and newer Samsung TVs.

Yeah, I just checked the supported devices list over at atttvnow.com and they still don't list Android TV. I did read somewhere this week (from what I thought was a decent source) that they have or are about to roll out an AT&T TV app for Android TV, but maybe that was bad info? If so, sorry for passing it along. It could be that it's on its way soon but just hasn't arrived yet...

Here are the devices that are for sure supported right now, per their site:

Roku
Apple TV (HD & 4K)
Fire TV
Chromecast
Samsung smart TV

Obviously, only certain/most recent models of the above devices are supported. For instance, just some 2017 and newer Samsung TVs.
I'm thinking, your right ...
It's probably going to be on Android TV (Sony) eventually ...
I'd like to look at it ... I'd like to Beta test it, but was not offered.
I won't be using it, for the cost they are asking, when I'm doing fine with my D*.

My Sony 930e just got updated to Oreo. If my TV got the AT&T TV APP I guess it wouldn’t automatically boot into the AT&T TV APP and live TV? That’s one advantage to having their box because it uses the Android TV Operators Tier which allows that. I wonder if Sony Android TV’s would get the Operators a Tier?

Thats one thing I'll give them ...
ATT was known for Fast Channel changing on thier U Verse set ups ...
Don't know about Streaming though.
Check out this video. He is using the new AT&T TV APP with AT&T TV Now on his Apple TV 4K. He says it’s nothing like when it was DTV Now He says channel changing takes two seconds and no buffering. She also says it’s 1080p on his OLED TV. He is also on WIFI.

Check out this video. He is using the new AT&T TV APP with AT&T TV Now on his Apple TV 4K. He says it’s nothing like when it was DTV Now He says channel changing takes two seconds and no buffering. She also says it’s 1080p on his OLED TV. He is also on WIFI.

Yawn