AT&T U-verse launches in the SF Bay Area

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...2/MNGI6N4GNA1.DTL&hw=at+uverse&sn=001&sc=1000

AT&T battles cable, satellite TV services New bundle uses telephone lines for video, voice, Net.

AT&T launched a new television subscription service in select Bay Area cities Thursday, as it faces off against cable and satellite carriers and ushers in a new era of competition.

Called U-verse, AT&T's new television service is available in San Ramon, Danville, Cupertino and Saratoga, with plans for the rest of the Bay Area over the next two years.

Like AT&T's high-speed Internet service, U-verse uses telephone lines to send more than 300 television channels into the home. It represents a formidable threat to the cable television business since both can now sell discounted bundled packages, wrapping telephone, Internet and television services in one bill.

"There's a lot of pent-up demand for it," said Robert Serrano, an analyst at JupiterKagan Inc. "A lot of people just want to have that choice of competition."

AT&T's entrance into the Bay Area television market comes as the entertainment industry is undergoing a dramatic shift, with more and more consumers tuning in to the Web and watching video clips on YouTube, "Ugly Betty" on ABC.com or movie downloads from iTunes.

AT&T is spending $1 billion to upgrade its network in California so that it is fast enough for its services.

But the deployment has been delayed as AT&T, which teamed up with Microsoft Corp., Alcatel and Motorola, faced technical problems and local, state and national regulatory roadblocks. Key wins in California and the Federal Communications Commission are expected to lower those hurdles.

The East Bay and South Bay mark the third and fourth markets for AT&T's rollout. Already in San Antonio and Houston, with about 3,000 subscribers, AT&T plans to launch the service in 11 more markets before the year ends.

It expects to make it available to 19 million homes in the next two years.

"We're building as fast as we can," said Melba Muscarolas, vice president and general manager of AT&T's San Francisco Bay Area market. "We're eager to provide consumers with choice."

U-verse is comparable to Comcast's cable service, offering more than 300 channels from HBO to Disney and such features as video-on-demand and picture-in-picture. The price ranges from $44 per month for about 100 channels to $99 for 300 channels.

It also lets customers use the Web to program recordings remotely, something that Comcast doesn't now offer.

The package also includes three Motorola set-top boxes, one with a digital video recorder that can record up to four programs at once.

Because of the system's limitations, however, consumers can only watch one high-definition program at a time; AT&T said it expects consumers to be able to watch two high-definition programs simultaneously on their television sets next year. HD channels cost $10 more a month.

Even as AT&T moves into TV, Comcast is making inroads into AT&T's telephone market. It offers a special, one-year $99 package for telephone, television and Internet services.

AT&T's package costs $109 for similar services, known as the "triple play" in the telecom business.

Comcast said Thursday that AT&T will have to spend years and billions of dollars to catch up to the network it's already built.

"We don't see anything in their playbook that we can't meet or exceed," said Comcast spokesman Andrew Johnson. "We welcome them into the arena."

Though the cable industry has shrunk as consumers moved to satellite, it remains the dominant source for television service. Cable carriers made an estimated $68.2 billion in revenue this year from 67.4 million U.S. subscribers, according to JupiterKagan.

The satellite carriers made $22.7 billion from 29 million subscribers. AT&T is partnering with EchoStar to offer a package of satellite television, Internet and telephone services.

IPTV, or television service through telephone lines such as AT&T's U-verse, however, is only expected to reach 8 million subscribers and $4 billion in revenue by 2010, according to the Multimedia Research Group.

"They have a long way to go before they make a dent into Comcast," said Bob Larribeau, a San Francisco analyst with the Multimedia Research Group.

AT&T is also introducing three tiers of high-speed Internet access: $19.95 for speeds of up to 1.5 Mbps, $24.99 for speeds of up to 3.0 Mbps and $34.99 for speeds of up to 6.0 Mbps.

Attachments

• San_Francisco_Oakland-UVerse.pdf
    618.7 KB · Views: 382
Looking at the packages, they look very competitive and in most packages 3 receivers are included (up to 3 HD TVs and 1 DVR). The moment is offered in my area, I'll give it a try.

Cool! I thought I read somewhere that they were planning on launching it in 11 markets by years end but obviously it's gonna take them longer.

Did anyone else notice the number of EAST coast feeds they are providing, particulary on BASIC cable channels! I would have expected this on premiums, but NOT on all the basic's they are. :eek: :D

I also just noticed they are providing pretty much ALL of the RSN's - NOT just the local ones. (I'm sure that most of the professional/college sports will be blacked out, but still...)

Here is the HD Lineup for Connecticut. :)

Looks good.

Wonder if my wife will let me try it and write a review of it.

They are the ONLY system in Connecticut to offer ABC in HD.

Attachments

• hdlistings.jpg
    hdlistings.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 417
Here is the HD Lineup for Connecticut. :)

Looks good.

Wonder if my wife will let me try it and write a review of it.

They are the ONLY system in Connecticut to offer ABC in HD.

Beat me to it. Damn fence went down with the winds we're having here in the SF Bay Area.
They have lineup for the following cities or areas:

Hartford
Houston
New Haven
San Antonio
San Francisco/Oakland Area
San Jose/Santa Clara Area
Stamford

https://uverse1.att.com/OmsNavigateMenuAction.do

Well, about the ONLY glaring omission I can see here, are the Cablevision-owned channels, WE, IFC & AMC. Other than that, I think I could live with this lineup. ;) :D
Any other "glaring" omissions that anyone else can see?

Yup its missing all of the Connecticut sports channels NESN and YES (Red Sox and Yankees)

Of course for the most part I don't watch sports so I could care less. :)

I just checked my SJ address this morning. Still not available here.

Does anybody know if at least our own local RSN's (FSBA and CSW) come with the basic packages? The channel list PDF shows all the RSN's as part of the Sports Pack or U400 Package. But, shouldn't our own RSN's come with our own local basic package? (U100 or U200 plus HD and HBO are enough for me.)

Also, does anyone know the price of individual movie packages. I saw pricing for various multi-package bundles, but not individual packages of just HBO, Showtime, etc.

Also, if a new U-Verse sub already has ATT Yahoo DSL, can they simply switch their present account (username, email accounts, etc) to U-Verse-enabled Internet? In fact, is U-verse-enabled ATT Yahoo Internet still DSL, or is it run down the fiber pipe? The download speed offerings seem to be the same as with their DSL plans, but the U-Verse Internet plans have 1Mb upload. So, it's hard to tell from the marketing literature.

Gary,

I noticed the same things, no Fox Sports Bay Area and no pricing for the individual movie packages. I did notice the multi-package movie bundles so I'm wondering if that's all they'll ever offer. No FSBA, no Uverse for me.

There are a couple of other forums, maybe someone will post the information there:

http://www.uverseusers.com/

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/uverse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts