AT&T wifi calling not working at home

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
Is anyone else having a problem with AT&T wifi calling working on their home wifi network? I have TWC internet and a Apple Airport extreme 5th generation. AT&T wifi does not want to enable when on my home network. I have great service at my home, so It won't enable automatically anyway, but even when turning airplane mode on and then re enabling wifi, to doesn't turn on.

If I use my Verizon work phone as a hot spot and connect my AT&T iphone to that, AT&T wifi turns on and works properly. Any ideas anyone?

well, other than the standard ssl ports, I've noticed that the following IP and port active when wifi calling kicks in.
Destination IP: 129.192.165.12
Protocol: UDP
Destination Port:500

IP probably not consistent across country...

I had my first experience with the at&t wifi calling a few days ago while at work in a pretty wide 3 story building. Outside I have 5 bars, but inside the middle of that building I have usually 1-2 bars. I received a call and the phone had 1 bar and it showed AT&T Wifi, and it worked flawlessly.

Nice addition. I have not noticed it enabled any other time, or at home, but most places I go have pretty solid signal in this area.

Is anyone else having a problem with AT&T wifi calling working on their home wifi network? I have TWC internet and a Apple Airport extreme 5th generation. AT&T wifi does not want to enable when on my home network. I have great service at my home, so It won't enable automatically anyway, but even when turning airplane mode on and then re enabling wifi, to doesn't turn on.

If I use my Verizon work phone as a hot spot and connect my AT&T iphone to that, AT&T wifi turns on and works properly. Any ideas anyone?

I had the exact same issue. Worked immediately at my work, but not at home. It lasted about two days. Now it works. I tried the same thing you did with no luck. Posted about it on the apple forums. No luck. Tried the airplane mode trick again a few days later, and it worked. Strange.

I really wish Verizon would get this feature activated. Wasn't it the iPhone 6 keynote where this feature was announced? Verizon said it was coming way back then but we still don't have it. This is a feature I would use all the time.

My house doesn't have reliable coverage from any carrier. I have a Verizon Network Extender providing service there and it works well but I wouldn't need it anymore if they would get this activated.

My parents house has worse service than mine but they have WiFi that could eliminate my dropouts there. Service at our cabin only reliably works if you go stand out on the dock. Again, we have WiFi here. Everyone in my family has an iPhone so we could all benefit from this if Verizon would make it available.

Reactions: stimpson
I really wish Verizon would get this feature activated. Wasn't it the iPhone 6 keynote where this feature was announced? Verizon said it was coming way back then but we still don't have it. This is a feature I would use all the time.

My house doesn't have reliable coverage from any carrier. I have a Verizon Network Extender providing service there and it works well but I wouldn't need it anymore if they would get this activated.

My parents house has worse service than mine but they have WiFi that could eliminate my dropouts there. Service at our cabin only reliably works if you go stand out on the dock. Again, we have WiFi here. Everyone in my family has an iPhone so we could all benefit from this if Verizon would make it available.
Verizon mentioned they would eventually add it. They first came out and said their network was so great they felt it wasn't needed. Now the pressure is on them. I too need wifi calling. Glad we got it with T-mobile.

Wish att would add this to the Note 4, gonna see if my sister will bring her 6+ over and try it out in my house. I barely get 2 bars inside my new house and tired of going outside where I get 4 bars, to make sure call is understandable. I have an old model microcell at my lake house that works great, so I bought a new model one for here , which of course was dead and had to go back to att store for a replacement. After finally getting it setup, my Note 4 and Note 2 wont connect to it for some reason. Both work fine with microcell at lake. Just need something that works, tired of wasting time messing with this the last 4 days.

well, other than the standard ssl ports, I've noticed that the following IP and port active when wifi calling kicks in.
Destination IP: 129.192.165.12
Protocol: UDP
Destination Port:500

IP probably not consistent across country...

Initial thoughts:
UDP 500 = ISAKMP - A VPN tunnel is being setup between the phone and the provider.
A router needs to have the ability for this protocol to traverse NAT properly for this to work.
Not too familiar with consumer routers but look for a feature called VPN passthrough?
Look around on the web to which router people are having luck with.

I had my first experience with the at&t wifi calling a few days ago while at work

Enterprise grade firewall with the ability to do NAT traversal probably.

Maybe those who have it working at home can compare router models and or settings.

Looks like VPN passthrough is broken in the C3000, this would explain your issue:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26099/~/c3700/c3000-vpn-pass-through-hotfix-for-windows

Overview:
Updated 01/05/2016 11:38 AM
There is a known issue with the C3000/C3700 cable modem routers wherein VPN pass-through is currently not enabled. This issue will be fixed in the next maintenance release for these products. We currently do not have an ETA on this.

However, we have temporary hotfix which the customer can try to enable VPN pass-through. This fix will only work when connected to a Windows

Thanks. I'm currently on my Mac but next time I'm on my Windows laptop I'll give this a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts