AT9 Breaks!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directvfreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Today when I got home and turned on the TV it said searching for sat signal. It was clear outside and everything so I go out to the dish and you'll never guess what happened! The LNB are and LNBs were on the ground!:eek: I looked, and the dish was rusty along with the fact that the LNB arm is soldered on. The weight of the LNBs is so much, I don't know how it could stay attached for long. Now I'm waiting for a tech!

Matt

Did you notice the rust and the weld at install? Of the AT9's I have seen there was no welding. At least that I noticed.

Uh oh, I told the wife I'd do some work around the house....when AT9s fly! I guess I better get busy.

I didn't do a 100 point inspection on the dish itself. :D I didn't pay any attention to if there was any rust. I will tell you it was new because the installer brought a sealed box with the dish so it had to be new. All i know is I'm pissed! Would DirecTV give me a discount for not being able to view TV?

Matt

Last edited:
i too want to see pics bro, or pm me and i'll stop by and see it, has me worried now about mines.

I didn't take any pics., but i will describe it in detail. My dish pics is at this link:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=60007

Basically, the LNBs ant the arm coming back to the dish reflector broke off and were on the ground. I came outside and the LNB arm was standing upright (or laying on the back part of the LNBs) Basically, the LNBs were aimed at the sky!

I put some screws in the dish to see if it would hold but I didn't get much of a signal. Maybe I'll do a reenactment of it!

Just because you got a new receiver out of a new box doesn't mean that the dish itself was new. Could have got one that was already banged up and sat outside awhile and they finally unloaded it.Take some good pictures and keep as evidence and then call D*.Either that or D* has a big quality problem. Really wierd that rust is already apparent.

directvfreak said:
My bad,.. It isn't exactally a weld, it's right where the lnb are attches to the dish.

Where the LNB attaches to the arm?
or
Where the arm attaches to the dish (in the back)?

So any installers out there? Is this a press fit, a factory spot weld, or riveted? I though the arm was a totally separate piece that used 2 bolts to attach to the back & underside of the dish. I am confused! (I am not talking about the 4 seen easily here on the back, but the underside) Anyone have a pic of the underside?

Attachments

• AT9 Back.gif
    AT9 Back.gif
    80.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
charper1 said:
So any installers out there? Is this a press fit, a factory spot weld, or riveted? I though the arm was a totally separate piece that used 2 bolts to attach to the back & underside of the dish. I am confused! (I am not talking about the 4 seen easily here on the back, but the underside) Anyone have a pic of the underside?

Here's a picture of mine. I'm not sure if you can tell much.

Attachments

• AT9.jpg
    AT9.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 187
The LNB arm is inserted into the dish bracket and has at least two puncture/mashing spots on each side of the LNB arm. I think it is technically a weld and should not detach unless there is abuse involved. Since the dish bracket and LNB arm will have dimpled spots where the mash welds were, you could probably drill them out and install SS sheet metal screws if you were desperate. You should also inspect the dish bracket where the LNB arm attaches for any twisted or deformed metal which might point to the local brats.
Bob

The AT9 is a pretty solid unit. I'm surprised a part of it broke. Good thing the warranty will cover it though I'm baffled as to how it could've broke. A dish doesn't fall apart even with rust. We have customers with 4-year or older dishes that's slightly rusted but doesn't rust to the point where it'll disintegrate. You might have a hard time convincing a D* CSR in setting up a trouble call. This is the first time I've heard of it. Please do take pics. But then there's always a first time for everything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts