AT9 Dish and RV on the road ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bgsmallwood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
The Nations
I have read that a lot of people who are retired and live extensively on the road setup and align their D* dish whenever they park at a new location. I have never even aligned even the 3 lnb dish and I am wondering how they are supposed to align the new 5 lnb dish at all.

I am thinking of retiring in a couple of years and this is one of the things I am curious about. I mean, by then, most of the national HD content will be mpeg4 and on the new satellites right? That means you would need the new dish. How are the vagabonds on the road supposed use this?

Thanks

Just a tiny bit bigger with a bit more weight and 2 more orbital slots, but the same alignment process with a heading compass. Azimuth, Elevation and skew.

A lot of the RV travelers rig the dish to a small tripod or other ground mounted affair. They will have to learn the basics of aligning the AT9 and with easy ground access they can touch up the settings without calling an installer to climb on a roof. If you travel too far you could be out of the spot beam for your local HD channels. Also, how many RV’rs have HD?
Rick

Dish Jockey said:
A lot of the RV travelers rig the dish to a small tripod or other ground mounted affair. They will have to learn the basics of aligning the AT9 and with easy ground access they can touch up the settings without calling an installer to climb on a roof. If you travel too far you could be out of the spot beam for your local HD channels. Also, how many RV’rs have HD?
Rick

I am planning to have a 26" LCD HDTV. Hadn't really worried about the HD locals because I am hoping to get them OTA

I have an AT-9 on a tripod with home made wooden blocks and 6'' screws to aid in leveling the mast which is essential to aiming the dish. One problem that the "feet" also help with is the dish and arm are so top heavy that just getting it to stand upright with a tripod can be difficult. I have extensive experience at mobile alignment of a 3 LNB dish and did not find the setup difficult at all but have helped many a novice set up dishes at football tailgate parties and until you become experienced even a single LNB alignment can be quite daunting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts