at9 question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

VewDew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Northern California
Hello,

I have a question, I have a home being built right now and the builder puts a plate near the edge of the roof for satellite inputs. Does the at9 dish have 4 connections coming off of it similar to the phase 3 or does it have 5 since there is the extra LNB?

TIA

When you say "plate" do you mean a jack panel of sorts? IMHO you are not going to want anything between the dish and your receivers other than what is specifically designed or installed for the AT9 setup. Just to avoid any headaches and trouble-shooting if any problems arise. It seems it would be best (if you are pre-wiring the home) is to have each room's RG6 just come to an end all at the same point in the attic at the point where you suspect the dish's cables will come in; and make sure to well label each of those ends as to their location. I would also run more than one RG6 line to the den or where the main TV or DVRs would be used.

Last edited:
All the current Ka/Ku 5 LNB dishes have 4 outputs.
Bob
VewDew said:
Hello,

I have a question, I have a home being built right now and the builder puts a plate near the edge of the roof for satellite inputs. Does the at9 dish have 4 connections coming off of it similar to the phase 3 or does it have 5 since there is the extra LNB?

TIA

You also might want to run a 5th wire for an OTA antenna should you decide to put one in.

I thought a seperate line had to be run to all rooms for OTA with the AT9? no more combining signals? So hed need to run more than one OTA line right?

vurbano said:
I thought a seperate line had to be run to all rooms for OTA with the AT9? no more combining signals? So hed need to run more than one OTA line right?

I won't have to do that, all 5 of these runs go to a single concentrator spot underneath my stairs. That is where I will put the multiplexors and splitters for the OTA. I just needed to know ahead of time how many lines from the outside the builder will need to run from outside to that box.

Just my two cents, I'd run a minimum of two lines to each outlet (one for sat one for OTA or to use a scondary DVR line). I'd rung a minimum of six lines (seven or even eight might be better) from the dish mounting point to the junction under the stairs (four for the AT9 dish, one for the OTA and one or even two for future use or as a spare incase one line gets damaged along the route). Also add a ground wire to run from the dish to the junction and from the meter base to the junction so you will have a bonded ground for your system. Just remember, while running coax you might not need now may seem like an unneeded expense, if you wind up having to run it later via wallfishes (at anywhere between $30-$100 a wire) will cost you more. And make sure you rung a phone line to each outlet as well. The more stuff you can put in the walls the less holes the installer will have to drill in you nice new home. You know what kind of builder you have working for you, but you never know what kind of installer is going to show up, the less drilling he has to do the better off you will be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)