AT9 versus Slimline

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
I have a quick question for the people that have had both the AT9 and Slimline dishes. Which dish provided the best signal strength for you?

I have finally had it with my Dish services dropping and the WAF is at 0% at adding a second dish. This made me make the call to D* to see what type of deals they would offer me. Well they offered the HR-20 at zero cost so it was to hard to refuse the offer. I will be coming back to D* on August 6th. I still have the old AT9 that I used the last time I was with D* but they are planning on installing the slimline dish. I want to make sure that I get the best signal strength that I can. I never had an issue with the AT9 even through some of the worst storms that we have seen in years. Please share you thoughts on both dishes.

Thanks

Looks does not matter. The dish will be on a pole that is hidden by the house and privacy fence. I just want to make sure that I get a truly reliable signal as that is the reason I am leaving E*. If they are both pretty much the same I will just have the installer put in the slimline.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I have seen some complaints about the WNS AT-9 dishes, which use SMB connectors between the two LNB assemblies instead of type F, but mine has been up for over a year without problems.

Looks does not matter. The dish will be on a pole that is hidden by the house and privacy fence. I just want to make sure that I get a truly reliable signal as that is the reason I am leaving E*. If they are both pretty much the same I will just have the installer put in the slimline.

Jag,
I have the old AT-9 and have never had any problems, my signals are solidly in the 90's.
If the AU-9 is better, I am not sure how.
If you are wanting to get one, either one will do the job fine, it's all in the pointing that really matter anyway.
Once I found a suitable place to place the dish, the pointing is no harder than any other, just a bit more fine tuning is all.
Watch the videos on the net for guidance or on D* in the 500's if it's still available and you will be fine.
Or you could have D* do it as well.

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbos.

I will have my local D* installer install the dish as they did a great job with the AT9 when it was put in. I had a signal strength in the mid 90's with my old 3 LNB and AT9 dish. Both installs were done by the same company. I would have to guess that they will also be the ones to install this one as well.

Not to change the subject But we had a bad storm today and a tree branch,or should I say more like the tree,, Fell on my slimline. Do I have to buy one off ebay ? Or how does all that work? My 3 lnb is getting a workout first my brothers house ,now my house. Glad I kept it.

I have the AT-9. Mine also is hidden from view - and my feeling is that if you have a good place for it (and it sounds like you do) - and if you have had no signal problems, what could the Slimline do any better?

I get signals in the mid-high 90s for my Ka transponders, and just as high on the Ku birds - I personally would have NO reason to think of changing it out.

I also feel that a slightly larger profile can't do anything but help with rain fade.

I also feel that a slightly larger profile can't do anything but help with rain fade.

This was my thought also. Do you think the installer would put in my old AT9 at no cost like they would the slimline?

Not to change the subject But we had a bad storm today and a tree branch,or should I say more like the tree,, Fell on my slimline. Do I have to buy one off ebay ? Or how does all that work?

Well - if a tree caused the dish to break or bend out of shape, you will have to get a new one - that's for sure. You can go to ebay, or solidsignal or some of the other websites that sell D* dishes. Or you can call D* and get a price from them also.

$99 for Slimline from Solid Signal | DIRECTV® Systems, HDTV Antennas, DISH Network, satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories

This was my thought also. Do you think the installer would put in my old AT9 at no cost like they would the slimline?

I don't see why not - not only that, but they should give you the Slimline to keep also if you ask. I have an AT-9 brand new in the box that they brought when they came with my second HR20. DirecTV put it on the order, the installer brought it, and I asked for it, they gave it to me. They also brought and installed my AT-9 when I first went to MPEG4 with the H20's in January of '06.

I don't see why not - not only that, but they should give you the Slimline to keep also if you ask.

Never thought about also getting the slimline. Hemi, I might have a slimline that I would sell you your cheap. :D

Well - if a tree caused the dish to break or bend out of shape, you will have to get a new one - that's for sure. You can go to ebay, or solidsignal or some of the other websites that sell D* dishes. Or you can call D* and get a price from them also.

$99 for Slimline from Solid Signal | DIRECTV® Systems, HDTV Antennas, DISH Network, satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories
I could install it I guess. Could you recommend a fairly inexpensive Satellite finder.. I have a cheap one ,but its a pain on that dish.

I think I will give them a call.

I would be careful calling them. Since you have both providers right now you would most likely have to sign up for another 2 years with D*. Not sure were you will land 100% but that could potentially be an issue if you decide to stay with E*.

I would be careful calling them. Since you have both providers right now you would most likely have to sign up for another 2 years with D*. Not sure were you will land 100% but that could potentially be an issue if you decide to stay with E*.

I don't think they 'lease' the dishes. I think they will quote you a price, or get you in touch directly with the local installation company. The 1 or 2 year committments are receiver related as I read the agreement. They don't take dishes back when you terminate service. They usually want it left where it is - it has NO real value and it makes it easier to hook someone back up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts