Atari turns 40

I have an attachment that plugged into the 2600 like a cartridge that you hooked to a cassette player to play more complicated games...
I'm positive the Commodore 64 had that same option (we had a C64 and I think we had the cassette option as well).

LMFAO!!! That was hilarious. I've never seen that model. That thing is huge! The 7800 was smaller than the 2600. I'm not sure that one played 2600 cartridges but I remember playing them on the 7800. that was truly a piece of garbage. Explains why I never saw it.
It played 2600 carts because everyone was pissed that the 5200 didn't.

Don't get me started on cassette drive for commodore 64's! Loved how you had to write down numbers on the counter system to save you programs! Wow those were the days

Though I must admit I later moved on to the Atari xl series :)

Though I must admit I later moved on to the Atari xl series :)

I still have a 130XE, for it's time it was way ahead of the rest. Only thing is everything was proprietary. If it wasn't I think people would be running Windows on Atari Compatible machines instead of IBM.

That was funny!!!!

I actually still have my 5200 and cartridges. I always wanted the trackball controller because my game was Missile Command back in the day, but never could afford it!! And those controllers really were a pain. I always wanted that Jaguar system, but that was always too expensive as well.

I sold or donated most of my 2600 cartridges. I wish I hadn't. I tried to hook the console up, but couldn't get it to work.

I remember digging out my old 2600 back in the 90s because my kids did not believe that one of the many variations to TAnk was one where invisble tanks could fight in an invisible maze. They eventually liked Breakout and a few others but the graphics in most games were so primitive to them they could not fathom the idea that people actually waited in line to play pong.

A friend of mine had the Commodore 64. IIRC, for at least some things the cassette was faster than the CD.

That was funny!!!!

I actually still have my 5200 and cartridges. I always wanted the trackball controller because my game was Missile Command back in the day, but never could afford it!! And those controllers really were a pain. I always wanted that Jaguar system, but that was always too expensive as well.

I sold or donated most of my 2600 cartridges. I wish I hadn't. I tried to hook the console up, but couldn't get it to work.
You didn't miss much with the jaguar. Google "AVGN Jaguar"

yourbeliefs said:
You didn't miss much with the jaguar. Google "AVGN Jaguar"

+1. Jaguar was a turd. I remember my parents buying a 2600 for my brother (12 years older than me) one Christmas. He wasn't to into it but I loved it. I can still remember the buildup in the holiday season for ET. I couldn't wait for that game and it still has to rank up there as one of the worst games I've played. But man, there were a ton of memories and they start at Pitfall for me. :)

The 2600 was my first game console, which I gave up when I went away to college. My second console ... the PS3, with no other computer gaming to speak of in the meantime (solitaire doesn't count). That 22-year gap partly explains why I spend more time gaming every week than working in my freelance at-home business. I'm trying to make up for lost time. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts