Atlantic Canada FTA dealer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
What I know so far is after shipping ($$$$) they are all within shootin' distance of each other in price. The GeoSatpro 1.2 Meter KU OFFSET Dish looks like the best deal. The unanswerable question now is how much gain is there likely to be going from a Q-sat 36" to the 1.2 Meter dish? AMC 21 represents most of our viewing but 12140 has become a rare treat of late. It has never been completely dependable. 12180 is still dependable but has weakened so I assume it is the jury-rigged dish arrangement. (I have watched for reports of lost or reduced signals but have not seen any.) So would anyone venture an opinion on whether there is sufficient potential gain to spend more money?

If the prices are pretty much the same, or even if what you believe is the better dish is a bit more, get the better of the two.

One thing I hate most of all is cheaping out to save a few bucks and wishing after that I had have spent the extra $$$, wondering if that's all it would have taken to do what I wanted.

The 1.2M is going to have more gain than the 36", period. A 36" dish will have approximately 1017 sq.in of reflector surface, and the 1.2M has 1753 sq.in of reflector. That's 72% larger.

The gain on the 36" dish is listed as 39.4db, and the gain for the 1.2M dish is 43db. This means that if you had both dishes side by side, the 1.2M would send a bit more than double the signal to the LNB than the 36". (Every +/- 3db means double/half the signal strength)

If the prices are pretty much the same, or even if what you believe is the better dish is a bit more, get the better of the two.

One thing I hate most of all is cheaping out to save a few bucks and wishing after that I had have spent the extra $$$, wondering if that's all it would have taken to do what I wanted.

Yes, buying inferior equipment on the Internet can be costly - I think Stompin' Tom referred to it as "saving money we ain't got" or something like that. As the only FTA parts I am familiar with are the bits I have collected over the last year and a half this hobby is all a bit up in the air for me.

The gain on the 36" dish is listed as 39.4db, and the gain for the 1.2M dish is 43db. This means that if you had both dishes side by side, the 1.2M would send a bit more than double the signal to the LNB than the 36". (Every +/- 3db means double/half the signal strength)

Exactly the information needed to justify the purchase. I will tell my wife it comes highly recommended by cracklincrotch in Halifax. That will impress her. (We meet in Halifax. This might help her forgive the place:D) Thanks

For me, the difference between a 90cm dish and a 1 metre dish is getting LPB DVB-S2 on 125ºW.

Go for the bigger one. It will also help you to better see satellites that live over the Atlantic. You are in a prime place for that. :up

For me, the difference between a 90cm dish and a 1 metre dish is getting LPB DVB-S2 on 125ºW.

Go for the bigger one. It will also help you to better see satellites that live over the Atlantic. You are in a prime place for that. :up

agreed. I kept LPB signal all nite with the 1.2m dish here in MN
The 90cm not so much ;)

I will tell my wife it comes highly recommended by cracklincrotch in Halifax.

Wow. That makes it sound more credible. ;)

Once you start getting channels reliably that weren't before, and channels you couldn't get at all before, she'll be convinced. That's what brought my wife to the BUD-side of the force. :D

Wish I could get one of those 1.2s though.... There's some Ku S2 stuff I'd love to have but just can't get on the 1M.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts