Atlantic Ku Satellites?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BryanSat88

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Albany, NY
If I move my Ku dish with universal LNB to the side of my house, I should have a nice view of satellites in the Atlantic region (22 deg. West to about 70 deg. BTW, I cover the N. America birds from my back yard). I have looked at the Lyngsat charts, but most of the feeds are for Europe, Africa, and South America. The rest of the channels are "feeds" which I presume to mean "wild" and sporatic news feeds.

Anyone have any experience with these birds??? Is it worth the effort to set up a dish for these birds? Are there any trans-oceanic feeds FTA, or are they all encrypted?
:rolleyes:

I would like to know also, but unfortuantly it wont help me untill I move into my house as my current setup only limits me to 61.5 anything east is treed out. Everything to the west is open sky

A lot of ethnic programming out over the atlantic, I can hit Atlantic Bird 1 (Ku) and I have very little interest in it myself, but many people enjoy the programming.

Albany N.Y. , hey ...... don't limit yourself , if you have the LOS you might get all of these.

58.0 west ..Intelsat 9
53.0 west ..Intelsat 707
45.0 west ..Intelsat 1R
43.0 west ..Intelsat 3R
30.0 west ..Hispasat
24.5 west ..Intelsat 905
22.0 west ..NSS 7
15.0 west ..Telstar 12
12.5 west ..Atlantic Bird

Lyngsat doesn't show much for those sats Ku directed at North America. I can see birds out to 22 deg. East before losing LOS due to houses. I was looking for people with personal experience. One side of my house faces southeast and the back faces southwest, and my neighbor's house blocks the apex hence the need for 2 setups to cover the whole belt.

I can see a bit farther east than you being in Halifax. I'd love to throw another dish up but with so few feeds and a wife that thinks what many hobbyists wives here think it's not worth it to me to do so. Unless I could get another dirt cheap T90 ;)

How big of dish would be needed in the London Ontario area to get Telstar 12 @ 15 West? I went to visit my satellite dealer for his birthday the other day, and he was asking me if I had ever managed to get signal off of Telstar 12 @ 15W. I had never tried to go that low, because I have a house in the way just below 30 West. I do have the ability to re-locate my dish to a point where 15W would have line of sight to see if I could get signal, but I've only got a 31" Ku-Band dish. Would 31" be big enough to get Telstar 12, or what size would be suggested? My satellite dealer says that his tech went onsite to a customer's house and could not for the life of him get signal from Telstar 12. From the footprint maps I've seen, it looks like the signal should be viewable from this area, but I don't know how strong the signal is in order to try the appropriate size dish.

I hit T12 with a 90cm Geosatpro without problems, I am in Southern NewEngland and signals are fine. I would not go any smaller.

I've been able to get Telstar 12 with a 31 dish here in southern NB, I think you could hit it ok, but you probably won't be able to watch it in poor weather. I use a 36 dish now and it is easy to hit. If you set up the dish try for 11806V, SR 7596, that is a pretty strong transponder on Telstar 12.

Thanks for the tips guys.. I'll see if I can get signal next week when I get back home. I'm headed on the road for a few days. I'll be sure to drop a quick note here to let you know if I had any success, and what size dish was used.

I have gotten t12 using a winegard 76cm dish from eastern mass. i have since upgraded to a CM 1M and signal quality is much better on the weaker transponders. Most of the programming is latin, 43w has some Italian programming.

I just re-read some of the above posts.. It seems like people who have reported seeing the Telstar 12 satellite are on the east coast. Has anybody West of Detroit seen signal from that bird? I have heard that in the Hamilton Ontario area, signal has been found. I'm a little further West of that. I wasn't sure if Mike Kohl's list is comprised of birds that he has seen himself, or if they are ones that are reported to him too. Mike is West of my location.

Davage
That would be really tough as here in MN Hispasat is at a 9 elevation

Detroit is a 7 elevation for T12

I just called and talked with the satellite dealer again. He said that they saw "noise" from that area, but didn't get signal. I gave him the freq and symbol rate that was suggested in a prior post and told him to give that a try. He was using a 1 meter dish, so it should have been big enough.

T12 is pretty marginal from here in Kingston, too. Back when I had a motor I was able to get it on 1.2 not USALS, but was not down there very often. My other experiments with lower than that usually run into the noise that your other contact was talking about. The meter gets really happy down there but when blind scanning comes up with nothing.

I just re-read some of the above posts.. It seems like people who have reported seeing the Telstar 12 satellite are on the east coast. Has anybody West of Detroit seen signal from that bird? .

I think I have a chance of getting Telstar 12 but my current motorized setup cannot go past 30.0 west.

There's a place on my chimney protected from wind on the North -South- and West sides where I can mount a stationary dish and would have a perfect LOS , the only thing stopping me is my Mom who worries that I'll break my neck up there.

It's too cold right now but come summer I have alot of projects and experimental ideas I'd like to play with , one that comes to mind is playing with the poor mans H to H again but this time from much higher on the house.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts