ATSC 3.0 $ 75.00 dongo SDR stick to hit the market this year...

Besides 4K resolution and HDR TV there will also be Dolby Atmos (or Dolby AC-4) as the sound standard for ATSC 3.0. So besides a DVR or converter box, we may also need new home theater receivers to receive the best possible sound.

Maybe the ATSC 3.0->1.0 converter boxes/dongles will down convert Dolby Atmos to one of the older audio formats?

... Here in the Sacramento area we currently have one ATSC 3.0 lighthouse. I see no benefit in buying an ATSC 3.0 DVR now. I hesitate to buy a DVR device which does not currently decrypt but instead "promises" to provide the ability soon.

I am old enough to have seen many promised features never happen. Chances are extremely high that they will implement encryption in the current DVRs, but I am patient and will wait until it actually happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Gunman
Besides 4K resolution and HDR TV there will also be Dolby Atmos (or Dolby AC-4) as the sound standard for ATSC 3.0. So besides a DVR or converter box, we may also need new home theater receivers to receive the best possible sound.

Maybe the ATSC 3.0->1.0 converter boxes/dongles will down convert Dolby Atmos to one of the older audio formats?

... Here in the Sacramento area we currently have one ATSC 3.0 lighthouse. I see no benefit in buying an ATSC 3.0 DVR now. I hesitate to buy a DVR device which does not currently decrypt but instead "promises" to provide the ability soon.

I am old enough to have seen many promised features never happen. Chances are extremely high that they will implement encryption in the current DVRs, but I am patient and will wait until it actually happens.
There is absolutely NO NEED to buy any sort of ATSC 3.0 receiver, as long as we are in the "lighthouse" period. The providers are simply playing with it all. Nothing is in concrete, and could change at any time. They have NO intention of providing every-day 4k broadcasts either. At most, we'll get 1080p HDR. Which is barely above what's already available with ATSC 1.0.

Plus, they are on an encryption jag, and fully intend on encrypting and restricting what we can do with any such recordings. So, just wait, and let's see if it even gets any sort of foothold in the market. I think it'll fail, unless the Feds force them to shutdown ATSC 1.0

Reactions: N6BY