ATSC Tuner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

combsisthebest

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hello all, I hope this is the right place to post this. I am trying to find an affordable (i.e. $100 or lower) digital tuner (OTA) so I can get digital broadcasts on my analog TV. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

You can't get digital on a analog TV, the best you would have is to receive then down-covert back to a 480i signal the TV can use via s-video. What are you trying to get?

You can get a voom box or a USDTV box for maybe $100 on ebay (give or take a bit) it won't be obviously as good looking as actual HDTV but you won't be cut off and you'll get more channels. Just keep in mind that eventually it will become mandatory for a digital tuner to be inside tv's....CRT tv's will sell for less. I think you can get something decent these days for $600-700. In another two years it will be even lower

To be honest with you I would not waste my time and money right now on the dated/used techology out there.

It would be best to look at the samsung DTB-H260F for a few dollars more...about $170. The unit has the latest software enhancements and is available at best buy and circuit city.

Somebody reported that the Samsung DTB-H260F on screen display menus are only seen when the component or hdmi video out is used! thats not good.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Cust...d/164855/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs

There are some used ATSC HDTV receivers at or below $100.00 available.
LG LST-3100A (DVI)
http://electronics.search-desc.ebay...Q22LGQ20LSTQ2d3100AQ22QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs
Radio Shack Accurian 16-3499 (HDMI)
http://electronics.search-desc.ebay...rianQ20Q2216Q2d3499Q22QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs
Samsung SIR Series (DVI)
http://electronics.search.ebay.com/...0QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs

Last edited:
Thanks roashru for the links. That brings me to my second question. Will HDTV feeds also get me Digital transmissions? Are they the same? I apologize for my ignorance in this area.

Digital (ATSC) broadcasts include SD (480i) and HD programming. HD comes in 720 and 1080 line versions. There are more details, but we'll leave it at that to keep it simple. An ATSC tuner box for output to an analog TV set will convert all digital OTA signals, both SD & HD, down to an analog SD signal. There are no analog HD signals. So you can watch any digital program, even the HD ones, on your analog set. Of course, the picture may look better than the old analog signals, but not as good as a real HDTV.

combsisthebest, Your local digital TV stations will sometimes use both standard and high definition. If your lucky enough to own a 480P extended definition analog TV you can connect the digital TV set top box using the "Component" (Y Pb Pr) jacks. If you have to connect the set top box at 480I use the "S-Video" to the TV or VCR next down is the yellow jack Composite sometimes marked as "Video". One thing is for sure once you see digital TV even at 480I standard definition in an analog TV you wont go back to an analog receiver. :)

Last edited:
I bought a used HUGHES Direct TV HD Reciver for about $25 on ebay. It has a digital TV reciver built in which is phenomenal. I ignore all the satellite stuff and just use it as a HD/Digital TV tuner. Very cheap.

Be careful buying an E86. They are very susceptible to overheating and early failure, so you may buy one that is already going downhill....

I appreciate the help. I've been bidding on a few, but couldn't go over a certain amount. I'm still keeping my eyes open.

For some reason I'm really nervous about buying a cheap tuner...

Will the ones labeled as 'cable box' pick up OTA signals? It has to have an ATSC tuner to do so, doesn't it? The old DirecTV and Voom boxes are okay as long as they have the ATSC tuner...?

Thanks. :p I just want something for my parents that will allow them to pick up the local HD chanels for display on their flat screen TV that is HD ready.

I know of no "cable box" that will pick up OTA broadcasts. You want an ATSC tuner box. I hear good things about the Voom boxes. I'm not sure all of them are operational for OTA, though- some may have been deactivated if the subscriber cancelled service before they went under. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can help out here.

I have an LST4200A that I view as one of the best ATSC tuners ever produced. I doubt many are available, and probably go for well above your price range.

Best of luck to you.