ATT DISH HD Questions...

jollygrunt

Arsenal Fan
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 16, 2005
Republic of Texas
I'm going to be upgrading to HD service pretty soon, so since AT&T is my DISH Network provider, I called them to get preliminary information as to what receiver I could expect to get, general install info and pricing info. When discussing the receivers, I was surprised that they didn't bring up the HomeZone receiver. The CSR only mentioned the 622 DVR receiver as I have a 522 DVR. She also said that I would pay $149 for the 622 but would get a $100 rebate. I would also need a new install but I don't know what all that would entail. As far as programming, I qualify for 6 months of free HD service which would show up as credits on my bill for that same time period.

Is the 622 offered by AT&T any different than the one offered by DISH? Is it any different than the VIP622? Does an HD install mean that they will remove the wire from the previous install and put in new line. Currently I have just one Dish on my roof. Will they remove that one and replace it with one or two dishes?

Thanks in advance for answers to my noobish questions. :eek:

I'm going to be upgrading to HD service pretty soon, so since AT&T is my DISH Network provider, I called them to get preliminary information as to what receiver I could expect to get, general install info and pricing info. When discussing the receivers, I was surprised that they didn't bring up the HomeZone receiver. The CSR only mentioned the 622 DVR receiver as I have a 522 DVR. She also said that I would pay $149 for the 622 but would get a $100 rebate. I would also need a new install but I don't know what all that would entail. As far as programming, I qualify for 6 months of free HD service which would show up as credits on my bill for that same time period.

Is the 622 offered by AT&T any different than the one offered by DISH? Is it any different than the VIP622? Does an HD install mean that they will remove the wire from the previous install and put in new line. Currently I have just one Dish on my roof. Will they remove that one and replace it with one or two dishes?

Thanks in advance for answers to my noobish questions. :eek:

Without knowing other information, like what satellites you currently get, I would guess that you will need a new dish so that you can get either 129 or 61.5 for the HD Programming, but that is only a guess.

Geoff

My bad I didn't think to post that info. :eek:

I live in deep South Texas, close to Brownsville in the Rio Grande Valley.

I have a DISH 500, and I currently get channels from 110 & 119.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure they'll try to use any existing wire they can.

Are you an AT&T landline and DSL customer? That may be a requirement before they offer HomeZone. Just a guess.

I have Homezone HD. It requires a 622HZ box and a 1000.2 single dish. The signal comes through one RG6 line. If the cable you have is good you probably wouldn't need a new one. The old cable might even be better with all the crap coming from China these days.

The receiver will feed a second TV via RG6. I think the ViP722 will do it via composite coax too. If you use the TV2 out you need a new cable run. They back fed mine but I cut it loose and ran a direct line.

If you have AT&T DSL you may qualify for Homezone. The 622HZ is a modified ViP722 in silver color. If you stay with regular Dish, I'd get the 722 as it has 500gb (ViP622 is 320gb) hard drive and a more advanced video decoder. It is black.

Homezone or regular Dish? Do some searches and decide. There are pluses ans minuses to both. If you want to build a video library, you should probably go regular Dish as Homezone has no plans to activate the External Storage feature. If you haven't read, it allows you to connect a USB hard drive to the box. The Homezone features are not well implemented, primitive, slow, and user-hostile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)