ATT to buy T-Mobile

AT&T is pretty convinced this is going through or they wouldn't agree on the breakup fee of $3B, spectrum transfer and roaming agreement
They have to plan things on the presumption that it will go through. Doesn't mean they're "convinced" it will. They can't wait and see...

Well, $3B+other perks AT&T would have to shell out if the acquisition fails (and this
after paying much more than was expected TMo can fetch during Sprint rumors), is a good
enough indicator that AT&T "greased" all the wheels to be "convinced"...:)

Diogen.

As a ATT sub I am against this even though it will improve coverage and make many features better. The reason why is because when you eliminate competition it makes it easier for them to pull the crap they are already doing: bandwidth caps and tether spying

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Today (# of subscribers):
Verizon 101M
AT&T 96M
Sprint 50M
T-Mobile 34M

Post Merger (# of subscribers):
AT&T 130M
Verizon 101M
Sprint 50M

Post Verizon/Sprint Merger (# of subscribers):
Verizon 151M
AT&T 130M

Post Mergers Monthly Smartphone Bill: 100M - may as well be a Billion because we are going to get screwed after it's all said and done. Heck, I can almost envision the day when the only mobile devices activated are the ones leased directly from AT&T. OK, perhaps that's a stretch...but fewer choices cannot be good for consumers.

I think you can safely assume this is never going to happen.
Both AT&T and Verizon (and others before them) fought really long and hard to prevent this Europe-isation of the US market.

Commoditization is good for consumers, not businesses. And the government can't do much at this stage...

Diogen.

I know, Brother. Don't mean I have to like it, though.

I got to thinking today about a possible sprint/google combination. With the Google Voice integration with Sprint devices and the rumors a couple years ago that Google was looking to launch a cell service, all the dark fiber they own and their bids for spectrum a few years ago. Just makes me wonder if we might see a G-Cell service in the future.

This was one of the topics of discussion during Sunday's TWiT. One idea put forth was this was AT&T's easiest way to deploy "4G" networks. T-Mobile has done all the hard work and if this goes through, AT&T has increased their 4G foothold.

Also, it doesn't seem that long ago that Echostar was trying to merge/buy DirecTV. Charlie had a multi-million dollar merger failure payment in that bid and Echostar/Dish had to pay up when the Fed nixed the deal.

I got to thinking today about a possible sprint/google combination. With the Google Voice integration with Sprint devices and the rumors a couple years ago that Google was looking to launch a cell service, all the dark fiber they own and their bids for spectrum a few years ago. Just makes me wonder if we might see a G-Cell service in the future.
That's an interesting possibility...

Some related tweets I saw yesterday, paraphrased, I don't remember exact wording:

AT&T, you had $39 billion lying around and aren't using it to build more %#!@ towers?

AT&T and tmobile announce their marriage; after the wedding there will be no reception

This was one of the topics of discussion during Sunday's TWiT. One idea put forth was this was AT&T's easiest way to deploy "4G" networks. T-Mobile has done all the hard work and if this goes through, AT&T has increased their 4G foothold.

Also, it doesn't seem that long ago that Echostar was trying to merge/buy DirecTV. Charlie had a multi-million dollar merger failure payment in that bid and Echostar/Dish had to pay up when the Fed nixed the deal.

I remember there being a penalty if either side walked away but thought that, in the end, after the government action they agreed to walk away with no penalty.

I take that back it seems that Echostar was "let off the hook" in terms of the requirement to buy PanAmSat but still paid the cash portion of the penalty.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts