Attempting my first Duck

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
YUM!! We love duck; I do a simple roasted duck.

2 large ducks (each about 6 pounds)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375º
2. Rub salt, pepper, and paprika into the skin of the duck. (I add a touch of garlic powder.) Place in a roasting pan.
3. Roast duck in preheated oven for 1 hour. Spoon 1/4 cup melted butter over bird, and continue cooking for 45 more minutes.
4. Spoon remaining 1/4 cup melted butter over duck, and cook for 15 more minutes, or until golden brown.

YUM!! We love duck; I do a simple roasted duck.

2 large ducks (each about 6 pounds)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375º
2. Rub salt, pepper, and paprika into the skin of the duck. (I add a touch of garlic powder.) Place in a roasting pan.
3. Roast duck in preheated oven for 1 hour. Spoon 1/4 cup melted butter over bird, and continue cooking for 45 more minutes.
4. Spoon remaining 1/4 cup melted butter over duck, and cook for 15 more minutes, or until golden brown.

Duck is one of my family's favorites.

We use wild birds. I prefer to roast at lower temps, around 225° for up to six or seven hours and then finish at 325° or 350° for about a half an hour. I also roast potatoes, carrot, onions and, of course, garlic with the bird, often using red wine to make sure it stays moist.

Good luck. I hope it turns out great.

Let us know for sure, I might try this one out. Duck is good, but not terribly meaty. Once in a long while, my wife makes Peking Duck. That's an all day affair.

Duck is one of my family's favorites.

We use wild birds. I prefer to roast at lower temps, around 225° for up to six or seven hours and then finish at 325° or 350° for about a half an hour. I also roast potatoes, carrot, onions and, of course, garlic with the bird, often using red wine to make sure it stays moist.

Good luck. I hope it turns out great.

I have tried this method as well and actually enjoy it; for newbies the all day affair may be too much for their first attempt or two which is the only reason I posted the quick cook method. But this one is great as well.

I have tried this method as well and actually enjoy it; for newbies the all day affair may be too much for their first attempt or two which is the only reason I posted the quick cook method. But this one is great as well.

It isn't difficult, but you do need to be able to tend the bird. I usually take the long road on weekends when I'm going to be around the house.

Sorry Guys...I Forgot about this thread.

The duck came out delicious. Even my 7 year old son (who is extremely picky) loved it. I just wish ducks had a little more meat on them. While there was enough for my wife, son, and I, I would have liked to gorge myself a little more.

Some observations:

This is the first time I've ever used a brine, but after trying it it won't be the last. The brine added a great flavor and the meat was extremely moist. Next time, though, I'll use a little less salt than the recipe calls for.

I did not do a very good job "scoring" the breasts before the steaming process. Next time I'll be sure to do a better job because I would have liked a little bit more of the fat to cook off. If you make this recipe, be sure you make an adaquete number of scoring cuts that will be sufficiently deep.

When butchering the bird, try and make all the pieces as flat as possible. This way, when you put the meat into the cast iron skillet you will have maximum skin to pan contact (as the crisp skin was the best part).

I will be doing this recipe again and suggest you guys try it.....it was actually a lot of fun to make. To watch the episode of Good Eats for a visual demonstration, go to youtube and search "whats up duck"

Enjoy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSO_Ej2WwZU]YouTube - Good Eats S3E4P1: What's Up, Duck?[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frn-M8HnlP0]YouTube - Good Eats S3E4P2: What's Up, Duck?[/ame]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)