Attention: VOOMers in San Diego, LA, or Phoenix DMAs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
have you experienced the problem of successfully scanning an OTA channel that is then unreceivable?

Please answer this post. Thanks.

Sean, I'm not sure I understand the question? I can scan extra channels like WB or Fox that don't actually come in but I thought this was an antenna issue. Please explain further. Thanks, MJB

This is a very specific problem that VOOM and Motorola are currently trying to chase down:

If there is a channel, which was not in the OTA map originally, that you were able to add to the map by doing channel scan, but after that you are not able to receive it.

If you have this problem and live in one of the areas mentioned in the subject, please reply in this thread. VOOM needs your help!

I have several channels that scan, but then a black screen is displayed when I try to tune them. I just hide them in the channel list. I will analyze it this evening and see if I have what you are describing.

I have that problem (or a very similar one,) but I live in the Albany, NY market.

Sean- I've told you about this atleast 3 times, still haven't heard anything about it. All Voomers I've encountered in this market have the same problem with the same channel.

17-3 (rf34) was originally "mis-mapped" by voom to 17-2 (The PSIP data is for 17-3)... So when channel scan came through in version 6.2 I had aquired 17-3... the program guide displayed 17-1, 17-2 (not an actual channel, but had the PG info for 17-3) and 17-3 with "No Data." A few days later VOOM updated the PG for my market because PG info was now on 17-3, 17-2 was gone. In the same DMA push I got mapping data for a yet to be operating 10-1. 17-3 has not come in on the VOOM STB since the morning of the mapping update, which was months ago at this point. 17-1 (on the same rf34) comes in fine. It figures 17-3 is the HD channel and 17-1 is the SD.

For those who have already reported the above problem: if possible, please provide a link to your previous posting, so it would be easier for VOOM/Moto engineers to find it. Thanks!

Sean Mota said:
have you experienced the problem of successfully scanning an OTA channel that is then unreceivable?

Sean, I have scanned channels with the Moto Voom receiver and have not been able to watch. However, I have a Samsung HD box for Direct. I received all the channels I scan i.e. those which I can scan on VOOM and not watch.

Let me know how I can help.

Ken
kfried@cox.net

Okay, I disconnected my antenna and then scanned for OTA channels. It found 0 channels and I saved the results. I rebooted the STB and then hooked up the antenna and stepped through the channels. The attached spreadsheet shows the results. I then rescanned the channels and found 34 channels which I okayed and then tried out. A few of the channels don't agree with the "mapped" channels as far as name. I have channel 13-1 "mapped" but it doesn't scan although it tunes in fine. I also have 3 other channels "mapped" but they don't scan and there is no signal.

I hope the attachment can help you debug whatever it is that you are looking for.

Attached Spreadsheet

Ilya....this is the EXACT PROBLEM I was having with my local HD PBS. It was not mapped originally my VOOM, the scan picked it up, however it will not display anything on that channel...just a black screen. The signal reads a flawless 99, and I have 0 problems receiving the SD channel.

I'm not out West, but I am in Central Illinois.

Scan worked for me but I deleted all local channels except 2 (CBS), 4(NBC),5 (WB) 7(ABC),9 IND., 11 (FOX), 13 (UPN)& 28 (PBS). Don't remember how many there were but had no problem. Note: 7 should scan as 7.1, 7.2 & 7.3. 7.1 is ABC programming, 7.2 is all news and 7.3 is the doppler radar. (Just South of LA)

I guess I dont understand the DMA map thing? I think my D* hughes reciever scans in whatever it can find. MY Voom moto appears to do the same. But Is the Voom Moto just Brainless and needs a map to do it? makes no sense and seems to be the cause of a lot of STUPID setbacks IMO.

Sean Mota said:

Yes - I have this problem. Have ABC and WB mapped and in guide, but just a black screen when I tune to it. On VERY rare occasions ABC will come in momentarily. I live in LA!

TONY

I am experiencing the same issue with PBS. I believe it is channels 24. Channel 24 is mapped but always has the call voom to update message. channel 17 (which I think is the same as 17) works fine.

I don't scanning feature to get the channels.

I have an antenna rotator and I dial in the RF channel using the adjust antenna feature.

I am in Glendale right next to Phoenix and have this problem on the locals. Not the major channels though, those are fine.

decodave said:
I have never got KNBC, here in LA. It scanned & comes up with the sched. & info , but no reception. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was having the same problem with KABC 7.1 and finally had Voom replace the OTA antenna. Now I get everything broadcast in digital from Mt. Wilson.

I have that issue.

I have channels that are there, that even have programming info, all local, but only come up as a blank screen, Phoenix.

My problem is slightly different:

I scan Fox (RF65) channel 011 in high signal strenghts (86-96), but the picture flickers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)