attic slimline installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kzettel

Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Franklin, TN, USA
I am a DirecTV HD addict and I am moving to a new town house next week and it has some strict dish rules by the HOA. I have read the FCC rules but I would rather not fight to have a dish on my balcony if I don't have to (I don't want it on the front of my house). They will also let me put it on my garage roof but it is on the North side and the line of sight is questionable.
My idea is that I have a 20" round window in the attic of my new house. It is facing South (south west) and it is just empty space so an indoor dish wouldn't be in my way. I found a glass guy that will replace it with plexiglass and it is an attic so it doesn't need to be insulated or double paned or anything like that. Is a 20" hole big enough for the 5lnb slimline dish to get a good signal? My zipcode is 37069 if that makes a difference.

Depending upon the angle the dish must face to get signal, how close you can get it to the window, and a variety of other factors - it may be possible. My guess would be that the window does NOT face the exact direction you need so it probably won't work.

The 5LNB dish needs a 30 degree azimuth arc and a 10 degree elevation arc to ensure that it will receive the signals without interference.

I guess I will never understand how homeowners associations can write rules in direct contradiction to the law and you feel bad about fighting it, or for that matter that it should be a fight at all.

Depending upon the angle the dish must face to get signal, how close you can get it to the window, and a variety of other factors - it may be possible. My guess would be that the window does NOT face the exact direction you need so it probably won't work.

The 5LNB dish needs a 30 degree azimuth arc and a 10 degree elevation arc to ensure that it will receive the signals without interference.

Ignoring the angles..... but the 5-lnb dish is larger than a 20-inch window. Dish size: 22.5 in. x 32.5 in.

You'll need to have it mounted on a pole, seated in a bracket, and have room to aim it along all (3) axes. IF it can see through the plexiglass, you'll need a pretty big pane.

Your best bet is probably to get a lawyer to write a letter to your HOA, citing the FCC regulation, stating that they cannot prohibit you from placing a dish smaller than 1m diameter in reasonable line-of-sight to the satellites. Have any lawyer friends? Have any friends with lawyer friends?

Okay, I looked at the house and the window opening is about 30 inches (not 20) and it is facing the satellite at 103 (According to dish pointer it is facing 105ish.) Assuming that I want the infamous invisible install, is this possible? Is it worth replacing a window with plexiglass to attempt it?

I never meant to make this an HOA discussion. I would rather have the dish out of sight if possible for aesthetic reasons.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)