Attn: NH viewers outside the Boston MA DMA.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
Are you folks tired of waiting for Dish to turn WMUR back on in your locals package or maybe some of you in other parts of the state that are in the Portland ME market that never got WMUR before???

Well I'd like to suggest that we Dish Network subs that currently don't receive WMUR
could start a email campaign to the general manager and public service director and let them know we want WMUR back on Dish Network. We are tired of having to watch news from another state and that we want NH news that is relevant to us.

Thanks to fellow SatGuy member Jscud here is the email addresses for:

WMUR General Manager Jeffrey Bartlett jbartlett@hearst.com

WMUR Public service Director Sherry Nannis snannis@hearst.com

Word has it that the "higher ups" at the station were not aware of the latest changes in the law regarding local stations and SV channels.

Maybe if we can let them know we want our NH news and local programming pertaining to NH they can get Dish Network to turn us back on.

Hopefully we'll hear what WMUR has to say on the matter.

Maybe if we can let them know we want our NH news and local programming pertaining to NH they can get Dish Network to turn us back on.

Hopefully we'll hear what WMUR has to say on the matter.

Good idea.

There was some legislation passed a while ago allowing WMUR to be seen state wide. Do you have any specifics on that?

Or on the deal that Dish had with the FCC allowing them back in the 'distants' game once they provided service to 100% of the US markets. It would be good to include that information in the emails.

John

I agree, I have already sent an email we'll just have to see if we can get a response. I don't know about you John but I'm sick of watching Burlington/Plattsburgh news. I believe in in the Portland ME DMA so your stuck with Portland news.

You know what really stinks I get WNNE also owned by Hearst they are in White River Jct but if you look at their coverage map the bulk of the viewers are in NH yet they simulcast WPTZ from Burlington.

From speaking with a former employee of their's that WNNE hangs around their neck like a albatross it really does'nt make them much money but they don't know what to do with it.

One would think they could get a deal with WMUR seeing they are both owned by the same company to carry WMUR news at 6 and 11 and carry WPTZ news at 5 for the benefit of the Vermont viewers. Everyone would be happy and I'd bet WNNE's ad revenue would increase due to ratings going up.

Good idea.

There was some legislation passed a while ago allowing WMUR to be seen state wide. Do you have any specifics on that?

Or on the deal that Dish had with the FCC allowing them back in the 'distants' game once they provided service to 100% of the US markets. It would be good to include that information in the emails.

John

n1wbd said:
Are you folks tired of waiting for Dish to turn WMUR back on in your locals package or maybe some of you in other parts of the state that are in the Portland ME market that never got WMUR before???
There has been a discussion at the other site about this, specifically, about the distant network license.

As of right now, Dish Network only has a very limited use of the distant network license. Any market they started serving in 2010 can be packaged with a distant network if the market itself was a short-market, devoid of at least one network affiliate. And that is only a temporary fix; the limited use supposedly runs out tomorrow, 30 September. That is because Dish Network, now with "eligible carrier" status can go back to court and have the injunction against providing distant networks lifted. It was the distant network license that Dish Network used to provide WMUR throughout the state of New Hampshire.

Therefore, Dish Network cannot add WMUR back to the locals package in NH (save for those in the Boston DMA) until the injunction is lifted, and no one seems to know where that stands.

If this is the case, we'll have to what and see what happens. But in the meantime it would'nt hurt to let WMUR know we want them back. Heck who knows maybe they file a brief with the courts to support lifting the injunction.

IMHO it would be in WMUR's best interests (business wise) to be made available to all NH viewer not just those in the Boston Market. More viewers, more businesses likely to buy ad time if their ad was seen all over NH more revenue for the station.

I think there is a demand for NH news by it's viewers and those that want it but don't have cable because it's not available and it's too expensive to install an OTA antenna, rotor and preamp on the off chance they MIGHT get WMUR and maybe 1 or 2 other channels.

For us NH viewers WMUR is the only game in town for NH news and the only network affiliate in the state.

There has been a discussion at the other site about this, specifically, about the distant network license.

As of right now, Dish Network only has a very limited use of the distant network license. Any market they started serving in 2010 can be packaged with a distant network if the market itself was a short-market, devoid of at least one network affiliate. And that is only a temporary fix; the limited use supposedly runs out tomorrow, 30 September. That is because Dish Network, now with "eligible carrier" status can go back to court and have the injunction against providing distant networks lifted. It was the distant network license that Dish Network used to provide WMUR throughout the state of New Hampshire.

Therefore, Dish Network cannot add WMUR back to the locals package in NH (save for those in the Boston DMA) until the injunction is lifted, and no one seems to know where that stands.

In September Dish began providing Significantly Viewed stations in Windham county VT ,which is in the Boston DMA. Dish subscribers there had the ABC,CBS,NBC, and FOX from the Burlington DMA added. The Burlington PBS, VPT, was identified as 'State-Wide' and was also made available. Folks in Bennington county VT, which is in the Albany DMA, now also get ABC,CBS,NBC, FOX and PBS from the Burlington DMA.

Neither of these are short markets. Both VT counties now get stations from 2 DMAs. In both cases the Burlington stations were added because they are 'Significantly Viewed'. This is exactly the same situation for the folks in the northern and western counties of NH with WMUR. In addition, NH's PBS, NHPTV, should also be labelled 'State-Wide'.

jscud said:
In September Dish began providing Significantly Viewed stations in Windham county VT ,which is in the Boston DMA. Dish subscribers there had the ABC,CBS,NBC, and FOX from the Burlington DMA added. The Burlington PBS, VPT, was identified as 'State-Wide' and was also made available. Folks in Bennington county VT, which is in the Albany DMA, now also get ABC,CBS,NBC, FOX and PBS from the Burlington DMA.
If those stations are truly being given as signifcanty-viewed, supposedly with the new law the significantly-viewed carriage was moved from the distant license to the local license. However, I believe the special case WMUR is still attached to the distant license.

The update is that Dish Network was able to get their temporary waiver to extend their use of the short-market distant license. That still only allows for Dish Network to fill in networks from short markets that they started serving as of the beginning of 2010. That does nothing for short markets served before then, nor helps with carrying WMUR at this time.

Neither of these are short markets. Both VT counties now get stations from 2 DMAs. In both cases the Burlington stations were added because they are 'Significantly Viewed'. This is exactly the same situation for the folks in the northern and western counties of NH with WMUR. In addition, NH's PBS, NHPTV, should also be labelled 'State-Wide'.

You can thank your congressman for that. They got a law passed through to allow the Burlington locals in the 2 counties that were not in the DMA.

If those stations are truly being given as signifcanty-viewed, supposedly with the new law the significantly-viewed carriage was moved from the distant license to the local license. However, I believe the special case WMUR is still attached to the distant license.

correct.
WMUR is not SV outside of the Boston DMA in New Hampshire. Its considered a distant

IMHO it would be in WMUR's best interests (business wise) to be made available to all NH viewer not just those in the Boston Market. More viewers, more businesses likely to buy ad time if their ad was seen all over NH more revenue for the station.

I think there is a demand for NH news by it's viewers and those that want it but don't have cable because it's not available and it's too expensive to install an OTA antenna, rotor and preamp on the off chance they MIGHT get WMUR and maybe 1 or 2 other channels.

Dish is the only provider not to carry it in all of NH
cable does
Directv does

and its due to the "distant" rule

You can thank your congressman for that. They got a law passed through to allow the Burlington locals in the 2 counties that were not in the DMA.

Several years ago NH Congressmen (Charlie Bass was one) did the same for NH. WMUR was allowed state-wide on both Dish and DirecTv. When Dish lost the ability to offer distants, they also dropped WMUR in the northern and western counties. There was some speculation that dropping WMUR was not necessary. After all there was a law on the books allowing it to be see by all in NH.

Far as I know the law is still on the books. I still have'nt received a response from WMUR as to the issue of coming back on Dish.

Several years ago NH Congressmen (Charlie Bass was one) did the same for NH. WMUR was allowed state-wide on both Dish and DirecTv. When Dish lost the ability to offer distants, they also dropped WMUR in the northern and western counties. There was some speculation that dropping WMUR was not necessary. After all there was a law on the books allowing it to be see by all in NH.

didnt matter
When Dish lost the lawsuit it was very clear to them about distants

ANY channel that Nielsen does not say is in your DMA Dish could not supply to you. So if you were short a network, sorry cant get it
If stations were considered Sig Viewed and cable & Directv can show it...sorry...cant get it on Dish
If a senator/congressman got a law passed....sorry still cant get it

They couldn't give you ANY channel not in your DMA.

didnt matter
When Dish lost the lawsuit it was very clear to them about distants

ANY channel that Nielsen does not say is in your DMA Dish could not supply to you. So if you were short a network, sorry cant get it
If stations were considered Sig Viewed and cable & Directv can show it...sorry...cant get it on Dish
If a senator/congressman got a law passed....sorry still cant get it

They couldn't give you ANY channel not in your DMA.

If that is the case how did the Congressmen in Vermont get Burlington Locals to Windham and Bennington Counties?

easy...the rule was just made therefore Dish is allowed to carry SV in those areas

The WMUR rule was before Dish lost the ability to provide distants. There are 2 separate rules for Dish and distants/SV
-markets added after 6/3/10
-markets added before 6/3/10

I have to take a look at the newer law, passed back in May. However...

Under the old law, local channels were allowed to be rebroadcast and sent back to their local markets only. Any out of market stations would have to use the significantly-viewed section of the law, and that was tied to the distant network license.

WMUR was tied to that license. Upon enforcement of the injunction, the channel had to be removed from non-Boston markets.

The new law shifted the significantly-viewed section to the local channel license. However, the way the law was written, I still believe WMUR (and a few other exceptions) are tied to the distant license, and the injunction still stands on those.

The Vermont stations were possible because of significantly-viewed, not because of a special status of the Vermont stations within the law (I think).

this is what happens when government gets involved in everything. If you live in Mass, say 40 miles southwest of Boston (approx 100 miles south of WMUR Broadcast facilities in a different market and even a different state), you can get WMUR. But yet 15 miles to the norfh of WMUR, broadcast facilities ....say in Grafton as above you can't receive it.... Ugggh..

The Vermont stations were possible because of significantly-viewed, not because of a special status of the Vermont stations within the law (I think).

I thought that too but according to the FCC documents on SV no Vermont stations were SV in those 2 VT counties so they would be considered "distants".

Like I said, I have to look at the law. I remember there were four "exceptions" from the 2005 legislation, with WMUR being one of those. I don't recall if Vermont was another, so I'll try to find out later.

According to the article, it was a change in this year's legislation that enabled those Vermont stations.

I'll look it over later and figure it out...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts