AU9 5LNB For Tailgating

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryanh6447

Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Alabama
I am a newbie to the satellite world but tailgate for all the Alabama games. I really want to start getting HD so I can see all of the other football games just like at home. The installers I am looking to buy the dish from are trying to turn me away by saying the the AU9 5 LNB satellite is too hard to setup. Does anybody use this dish for tailgating and if so is there any trouble finding the satellites. Thanks in advance for the response.

I have a smaller 3lnb dish (101/110/119) and put a slimline3 LNB on it. It gets 101 in the high 80's, and 99/103 in the mid-70s with minimal tuning. Have it down to about 5 minutes to setup after some practice.

I know many other people here have used this type of setup for tailgating or camping.

On a side note I kept forgetting the BBC, since my athome config is SWM and my road config is not.
I got mad and decided to put the BBC permenantly in the LNB arm. Needless to say it was slightly too big.
I spend a half hour lightly tapping it (and at times more than lightly) with a hammer and some pliers, eventaully got it in and happily it still worked.

Attachments

• IMAG0008[1].jpg
    IMAG0008[1].jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 95
the direct tv people told me that i need the 5 lnb to get the hd channels. and do i need the bbc if i am just going straight to the receiver?

the direct tv people told me that i need the 5 lnb to get the hd channels. and do i need the bbc if i am just going straight to the receiver?

IF your using a slimline 3 or 5 you WILL need your BBC's if you want to get your HD channels. (unless your using a H/HR23 recvr.)

IF your close enough to get your locals and your locals are on the 119 sat would be the only reason you would really NEED the 5 lnb set up.
The HD channels are on the 99 or 109 sat and they are on the 3 lnb dish, so whichever dish is easier for you to get would be fine.

Chances are if your close enough for your locals to still be in the spot beam, you won't be on the 119 and the SL3 dish will be fine.

When setting this up make sure to run the Repeat Sat Set Up and set your Dish Type to the correct dish you end up using.

Exactly, only SD locals are on 119. If you get HD locals they are on 99/103 and you can use a slimline 3 lnb, thus the option to use the smaller dish - though completly unsupported by Directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)