Status
Please reply by conversation.

kurtsat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
Antelope, California
Hey,

I'm here to post for my friend.. He was kinda upset when the apartment inspectors found out the dish was on fence from the baloney. They told him, he has to remove the dish and hook up with Tripod only.. So, my friend called the DirecTV and request upgrade from standard to HDTV.. Everything went smooth until the installer arrives and realized that Tripod will NOT fit for either AU9 or AT9 dish.. Is it true? If so, is there any other option he can order? Also, will this fit for dish: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Install/NPR4A-roof-mount.htm

Let me know what can he do?

Thanks alot!
Kurt

The AU9 is the replacment for the AT9. Check solidsignal.com they have a tripod that will fit ether of this dishes.

AU9 is basically the same as the AT9 except it's slightly smaller and all 5 LNBs are built into one housing. They both have the exact same mounting requirements.

The problem with your tripod is it's probably not a 2 inch pole. Older dishes were 1 5/8" pole mount, the 5LNB dishes are 2".
So simply go to your nearest hardware store and pick up a 2 inch pole for $5 and your golden.

Hey,

I'm here to post for my friend.. He was kinda upset when the apartment inspectors found out the dish was on fence from the baloney. They told him, he has to remove the dish and hook up with Tripod only.. So, my friend called the DirecTV and request upgrade from standard to HDTV.. Everything went smooth until the installer arrives and realized that Tripod will NOT fit for either AU9 or AT9 dish.. Is it true? If so, is there any other option he can order? Also, will this fit for dish: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Install/NPR4A-roof-mount.htm

Let me know what can he do?

Thanks alot!
Kurt

Yup you need a Non-pen for that.
http://tinyurl.com/3xxcna
That should be the one you need since the odu come with a mount. Just remember to buy 6 cinder blocks.

Good luck finding a 2" pole, try a fence post company....

Get a 5 gal bucket and your pipe and place the pole in the bucket , make certian that it is level and plumb, and your good to go.

Jimbo

Good luck finding a 2" pole, try a fence post company....

Get a 5 gal bucket and your pipe and place the pole in the bucket , make certian that it is level and plumb, and your good to go.

Jimbo

Careful there Jimbo! If you buy a 2" pole from a fence company like I did, Grydlok will accuse you of buying the wrong size and tell you it is your fault when the install goes bad! :rolleyes:

That non-pen will only work if you also install support struts. I do not think the struts that come with the Au-9 will work on that mount. Since DTV is not using the KA band currently ( at least not that I know), installers are getting off easy setting these things up. When the KA band is used in mass, a LOT of people are going to discover that their signal levels are not good enough, and if they are, a dish without support struts may not hold a stable signal in moderate winds.

You can always build your own with 1/2 EMT.
Cut to length.
Pound the ends flat.
Drill 1/4 inch holes in the flatten sections.
Drill a 1/4 hole all the way through the mast.
align struts and install a 3" x 1/4 bolt through the struts and mast.
Bend struts to reach a securing location and attach.

If done right, it does not look as bad as you might think.

I have done this for years with commercial VSAT systems and even C/Ku dishes when locked in position. Only then we attached the strut to the edge of the dish and secured back to the Non-pen. Two of those and your dish will never move off satellite.

Careful there Jimbo! If you buy a 2" pole from a fence company like I did, Grydlok will accuse you of buying the wrong size and tell you it is your fault when the install goes bad! :rolleyes:

Maybe if you owned up to buying the a slightly smaller pole you wouldn't have right the right to bitch about the dish spinning, I guess that reserved for FAKE internet technician.:rolleyes:

Maybe if you owned up to buying the a slightly smaller pole you wouldn't have right the right to bitch about the dish spinning, I guess that reserved for FAKE internet technician.:rolleyes:

I'm not a tech, so what? The tech is the one who should know if the pole is too small to work. As it turned out, the pole is fine. The tech didn't tighten it down enough. I did, and now it is fine, even through some very windy days here in CT. By the way, EXACTLY how big are the poles that you install? EXACTLY how big?

That non-pen will only work if you also install support struts. I do not think the struts that come with the Au-9 will work on that mount. Since DTV is not using the KA band currently ( at least not that I know), installers are getting off easy setting these things up.

Huh?

While I cannot speak to the Sadoun NPR, I have a Baird NPR of roughly the same size that an AT9 is on and have for the last 14 months with DTV struts.

During the 60 MPH gusts last week that caused killer Tornados in Florida I never lost the Ka signal due to wind - and yes, the Ka's have been used since October of 2005 for HD-LIL.

Now, the Ka's go out far worse in rainfade than the Ku's, and even when there are heavy rain filled clouds in the sky - as the do for everyone on the street that has them - and those are all mounted with struts on a roof or side of a house - so the lack of struts on the NPR isn't the issue.

But, as I am not familar with that particular NPR, the Baird NPRs of the same size which are used in commercial installs (including 2 way transmissions - so the regulations are ultra tight as you don't want it throwing a transmission signal all over the sky) work just fine.

www.skyreport.com

SBCA: HOAs Ignoring OTARD Rules
Homeowner's associations across the nation are known for giving residents trouble for everything from the lack of a neatly manicured lawn to cars parked in the driveway. If those hassles aren't enough, the Satellite Broadcasting and Communications Association released data Monday that suggests these community associations and rental properties continue to be a significant obstacle to consumers wishing to lawfully install a satellite TV dish.

In April 2006, SBCA started tracking all OTARD (over-the-air reception devices) claims to determine which issues are most problematic for homeowners and installers. The heavy hand of community associations were most troublesome with 60 percent of claims, followed by rental properties at 34 percent, the association said.

OTARD rules were developed at the Federal Communications Commission in 1996, and they prevent homeowner's associations and others from prohibiting or restricting the use of DBS dishes or any outdoor antenna.

"These numbers reflect the SBCA's commitment to working at the ground level to solve OTARD issues," said Noah Cuttler, director of regulatory affairs at SBCA. "What is most telling is the number of claims involving community associations and rental properties. It's 10 years after the creation of the OTARD rule and we are still having problems."

The SBCA said it plans to use its research for the development of an OTARD rule manual. The manual will be accessible to consumers and satellite technicians.

The SBCA also encouraged anyone who believes their OTARD rights are violated to submit a claim at http://www.sbca.com/otard.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts