AU9-SL3 ??'s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Ok,

Ive got a Slimline 5lnb that is running to a SWM8/PI setup.

Now that the new 3lnb is out and that's all I need, I'm considering switching. The 3lnb has the internal SWM correct? If so, would I come directly from it to the PI, or do I need something else?

Thanks.

There are SL3 LNBs both with and without the SWM. They are available at Solid Signal and probably some other suppliers. You won't gain anything you don't already have, but it might look a bit nicer. You should be able to connect it to your existing PI. They will also work with a new lower-voltage PI, but the early ones were shipped with the same one used with the SWM8.

Ok, just realized they have a SL3 and a SL3-S(SWM). I could always go with the SL3 and just use my SWM8 configuration.

I was originally considering the change because I thought the dish would be smaller than the SL5, but it doesn't appear to be. So, would SS be higher on the 3 sats with a SL3 then with the SL5 aimed at all 5? Seems like me you could peak the SL3 better to the sats you need.

There are SL3 LNBs both with and without the SWM. They are available at Solid Signal and probably some other suppliers. You won't gain anything you don't already have, but it might look a bit nicer.

Thanks, just figured that out. For some reason I thought the 3 was SWM only.

Wonder if itll have better SS??

Ok,

Ive got a Slimline 5lnb that is running to a SWM8/PI setup.

Now that the new 3lnb is out and that's all I need, I'm considering switching. The 3lnb has the internal SWM correct? If so, would I come directly from it to the PI, or do I need something else?

Thanks.

Looking at SolidSignal site it looks like two versions of the 99/101/103 LNB, one with and on without the SWM built in, DIRECTV SL3 SlimLine 3 Four Out Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish LNB (SL3) | SL-3 [DIRECTV Slim Line] | au9s a9s aus au-s aus9 aus-9 mpeg4 directv hd local channels at-9 at 9 Ka/ku dish directv Ka-ku dish ku band ka band dish Ka/Ku Ka-Ka Ka-Ku Ku-Ka KuKa KuKa KA and DIRECTV SL3-SWM SlimLine Single Wire Ka/Ku Triple LNB With Built-In Multiswitch (SL3-SWM) | SL3-SWM [DIRECTV Slim Line] | au9s a9s aus au-s aus9 aus-9 sl5-z sl5z sl5 z directv hd local channels at-9 at 9 Ka/ku dish directv Ka-ku dish ku band ka band .

Guess I'd ask if you have a working configuration now why mess with it? Also if you go with the SL3-SWM then you're limited to no more then 8 tuners, with your current setup you could expand in the future if needed.

I was simply thinking this dish dedicated directly to the 3 needed sats and still being the same size as a 5LNB could yield higher SS.

Pretty big dish for 3 very close locations.

The signal strength should be unchanged. It would be like taking a SL5 LNB assembly and disconnecting the 110 and 119 feed horns/LNBs. Since it doesn't receive 110/119, the installation instructions say to just set the tilt to the initial value and leave it. Otherwise the adjustment is the same.

I agree with rad, but if I ever need to replace my AT9 I'll probably go that way.

Signal strength is dependent on the directivity of the dish, which is based on the area not the number of LNBs.

See, I dont see it that way. If you have an 18" dish for 110/119/129 (dish network orbits), it has a lower SS than a 18" aimed at 110/119.

Seems like the same would be true for the SL3. You have a SL5 aimed at 99/101/103/110/119

Take the SL3 which is the same size and aim it 101, your bound to have better SS on 99/101/103.

I see your reasoning, but both the SL5 and SL3 are aimed at 101 so you shouldn't see any changes. The SL5 will be less efficient at 110 and 119 than one of the same size aimed there, since these LNBs are offset. Since the SL dish is larger than the Phase III, it still gives an adequate signal strength.

Does Dish use a common dish for 110/119/129? When my daughter had HD installed they put in a separate 129 dish (possibly trees were an issue).

I see the problem after looking at a pic of the SL3. I thought it had a centered LNB, but its almost the same as a SL5.

See, I dont see it that way. If you have an 18" dish for 110/119/129 (dish network orbits), it has a lower SS than a 18" aimed at 110/119.

Seems like the same would be true for the SL3. You have a SL5 aimed at 99/101/103/110/119

Take the SL3 which is the same size and aim it 101, your bound to have better SS on 99/101/103.
The signal strength will be exactly the same, the dish is the same and the individual LNBs are the same as the SL5. The signals from the 110 and 119 satellites on the SL5 are received by offsetting the 110/119 LNBs from the center, nothing to do with aiming the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts