Audio Blips. Does anyone else get these? Like every once in a while seems to drop a word or two.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ejb1980 said:
How does the picture get to the TV? Does the Bose decode DD? On my Denon receiver, it clearly displays "DOLBY DIGITAL" or "DOLBY EX" or "PLx M" or whatever. What does yours say?

I'll try and keep it simple. My TV is mounted on the wall. So it's hard to check things out out. The only 2 connections look to be HDMI probably the audio and video coming from the Bose Box.

I clicked setup on the Bose system and the only reference I can see as far as audio is something called Adaptiq? ( Audio Calibration System ) that seems to have already taken place.

hoos51 said:
I'll try and keep it simple. My TV is mounted on the wall. So it's hard to check things out out. The only 2 connections look to be HDMI probably the audio and video coming from the Bose Box.

I clicked setup on the Bose system and the only reference I can see as far as audio is something called Adaptiq? ( Audio Calibration System ) that seems to have already taken place.

Also the system is a Bose Lifestyle V35/V25 Home Entertainment System.

ejb1980 said:
How does the picture get to the TV? Does the Bose decode DD? On my Denon receiver, it clearly displays "DOLBY DIGITAL" or "DOLBY EX" or "PLx M" or whatever. What does yours say?

Also LCPM 2.0 Linear Pulse-code Modulation ? When I hit options that shows in the left corner of my screen. Googled it and it looks like that does something with HDMI . Well I'll stop for now. Getting a head ache....lol.

OK. I just looked at the back of my Direct receiver. The only thing coming out of the back of it are red and white audio going to the back of my Onkyo. My receiver is usually turned off unless i want to play music on deck, kithchen, etcccc

There is also an HDMI cable going from the Direct to 2 HDMI ports in the Bose Box.Also HDMI cable in video on the Bose box.

Lots of HDMI in Bose box....lol. So does this count as a direct to TV HDMI hook up ? I'm getting confused.

If not , does this mean I'm not fully utilizing my Bose system with DD turned off? And how the heck do I know if a show is broadcasting in the 5 and one......sorry for rambling..

Sounds like a bit of and odd connection scenario going on .. Its going to taking some though to decipher what all is going on here.

charper1 said:
Sounds like a bit of and odd connection scenario going on .. Its going to taking some though to decipher what all is going on here.

Basically I have figured it out now. There is a HDMI from audio input on Direct Receiver to audio on Bose. HDMI directly into Video input on Bose.

Those are the two HDMI cables in back of that are plugged into HDMI inputs on
back of TV.

So I guess I don't have Direct straight to TV connection.

Have turned DD back on. Watching Christmas Vacation ( classic ) on 311 HD, no burps, but I think it doesn't happen on all channels.

I'm going to call Bose tomorrow.

The red and white go from Direct Rec to my Onkyo. Plays music for deck, kitchen ,BR. I have other speakers ( not Bose ) in those areas. When I say say Red/White here im talking about the red and white connector type.

It looks like the Bose are HDMI connected. And again , HDMI from Direct rec to HDMI in Bose Rec/ box.

Also have DVD player hooked up also. If that matters. :)

charper1 said:
why are there two HDMI connections to the A/V unit from the DirecTV and what are the R/W (2-chnl) connected for?

Sorry. Not sure why 2 from TV. But I just checked and 2 are there, both plugged in.

hoos51 said:
Sorry. Not sure why 2 from TV. But I just checked and 2 are there, both plugged in.

I'm thinking the second one might be for redundancy. I found another HDMI cable not going into anything by the Bose box. Rolled up nice with a tie wrap. Damn I should have watched this guy.

Just got off the phone with Bose. Long story short he says the Bose have something built in that will provide me with the same enjoyment even If Dolby Digital is turned off.

When I do a options with Dolby off in the left corner of TV now has 1080i and LPCM 2.0 where Dolby 5.1 was listed when I had it turned on.

I actually can't hear a difference while watching HD movies etc.

I think I'll close this out for now. You could spend 1/2 your life trying to figure this out.

But any ending thought would be appreciated. :)

I told that user to turn off DD because he is directly connected to a TV that isn't mufti-channel audio, so that will be the correct setup selection. Your setup is different. As is mine from both of you.

I route all my audio and video sources into the A/V head-unit and allow it to do all the A/V switching (seen below). All my video sources are HDMI and I have zero audio drops. All my audio sources are connected via S/PDIF TOSLINK.

I still believe this is nothing more than hardware compatibility issues.

Two Questions:
#1: What receiver is that?
#2: Can I have it? :)

The following is my opinion only:

I feel HDMI is overrated for audio. There are a lot of instances of the "HDMI handshake" not working properly, which you can research on this and similar forums. In my set-up, I've had the following issues:
-the handshakes would screw up often and cause a static-like screen to appear on the TV until you turned EVERYTHING off and waited.
-The audio "blips" that caused this thread are not exclusive to Directv or even TV service providers (my cousin gets them on his blu-ray via HDMI but not digital coax, which is what inspired my earlier-described rearrangement to try the audio via digital coax instead of HDMI).
-When I had the "handshakes" turned on, my A/V receiver would take FOREVER to turn on and when it did it would start on TV instead of Cable/Satellite (Which is the setting the A/V receiver is set to default to).
-If I plug the Directv receiver into HDMI1 on my TV, a weird line goes up the screen every 15-30 seconds (most visible on the old blue guide or on the green of a football field - anything that uses a good portion of the screen with one color). When usiing HDMI2, the line does not exist and no line appears when I use HDM1 for my A/V receiver.

With all handshakes turned off and using HDMI for audio only where I have to (my Blu-Ray doesn't have any other DD audio outputs), I have no issues at all. I use HDMI for video for Directv because it allows 1080p , which I feel is its only benefit. Like I said, this is my opinion. Everyone's set-up and equipment is different and if it works for you - more power to you. And I want charper1's receiver, which I now see the make/model number for. Look at all those inputs...

ejb1980 said:
The following is my opinion only:

I feel HDMI is overrated for audio. There are a lot of instances of the "HDMI handshake" not working properly, which you can research on this and similar forums. In my set-up, I've had the following issues:
-the handshakes would screw up often and cause a static-like screen to appear on the TV until you turned EVERYTHING off and waited.
-The audio "blips" that caused this thread are not exclusive to Directv or even TV service providers (my cousin gets them on his blu-ray via HDMI but not digital coax, which is what inspired my earlier-described rearrangement to try the audio via digital coax instead of HDMI).
-When I had the "handshakes" turned on, my A/V receiver would take FOREVER to turn on and when it did it would start on TV instead of Cable/Satellite (Which is the setting the A/V receiver is set to default to).
-If I plug the Directv receiver into HDMI1 on my TV, a weird line goes up the screen every 15-30 seconds (most visible on the old blue guide or on the green of a football field - anything that uses a good portion of the screen with one color). When usiing HDMI2, the line does not exist and no line appears when I use HDM1 for my A/V receiver.

With all handshakes turned off and using HDMI for audio only where I have to (my Blu-Ray doesn't have any other DD audio outputs), I have no issues at all. I use HDMI for video for Directv because it allows 1080p , which I feel is its only benefit. Like I said, this is my opinion. Everyone's set-up and equipment is different and if it works for you - more power to you. And I want charper1's receiver, which I now see the make/model number for. Look at all those inputs...

I have been watching ESPN and other channels all week and I think it's a damn locals problems. As soon as I go to locals the audio drops are there. Again DD off , none on any channels.

Let me ask you . The digital Coax are the red/white and yellow cables?Would the precedure be to:

Power the direct receiver down.

Unplug the HDMI from Direct Receiver and AV device ( in this case Bose )

Plug in Red White Yellow in the back of both devices.

Is it that easy? I have some of those R/W/Y type.....

The digital coax is NOT the white/red wires. It's a separate audio output, it looks like the white/red output but it's got an orange ring instead of white, red, or yellow and is labelled "digital audio" or something. It provides DD audio to the receiver without HDMI. The red/white wires are analog stereo, suitable for a TV. White red/white only, AV receivers will either send through true stereo (only L or R speakers) or make "fake.1" or, properly termed, Pro-Logic to use all of the speakers. Some people can't hear the difference between DD 5.1 and Pro-Logic, but it's not quite the same.

As for locals, their quality varies greatly by market. What DMA are you? Ask friends/neighbors with Directv if they have the problem.

ejb1980 said:
As for locals, their quality varies greatly by market. What DMA are you? Ask friends/neighbors with Directv if they have the problem.

Washington DC / Virginia .......WRC, Fox, WJLA , WUSA

I was hoping you were in the Roanoke DMA, as I can get a signal from most of those channels OTA if I put effort forth - and I always love an excuse to tinker with the antenna. But I can't get DC from central North Carolina, haha. Maybe someone else can chime in if they're experiencing issues with DC area locals. My cousin has directv in Baltimore and doesn't have the issues, but that doesn't help.

If you're happy with the Pro-Logic, stick with that. It's better than nothing!If you really want DD, try the digital coax idea.

ejb1980 said:
I was hoping you were in the Roanoke DMA, as I can get a signal from most of those channels OTA if I put effort forth - and I always love an excuse to tinker with the antenna. But I can't get DC from central North Carolina, haha. Maybe someone else can chime in if they're experiencing issues with DC area locals. My cousin has directv in Baltimore and doesn't have the issues, but that doesn't help.

If you're happy with the Pro-Logic, stick with that. It's better than nothing!If you really want DD, try the digital coax idea.

EB. Thanks for all your help and putting up with me.

Heading to Charlottesville to visit Crutchfields.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)