Audio Compression Setting???

IOWADISHDUDE

Original poster
May 14, 2004
Messing around in the set-up area, came across the audio compression settings.

What is this? The choices are heavy, light/hi-fi, or none.

Did a search on this site for assistance, but nothing popped up right away.

Thanx for the input!

Dave

PS - Should the "Report Back" work when you push the start button? Mine says "2nd attempt failed" (phone line is hooked up)

None passes the audio through as it receives it with full dynamic range, heavy makes it less dynamic (compressed) so there is less of a difference between the soft dialogue and booming explosions, also called "Midnight Mode" on a receiver (also referred to as Marriage Saver).

You're welcome. Regarding the Phone out, I tried mine and it took a few attempts to get a connection. There was a thread elsewhere that discussed this and they came to the conclusion that the modem is timing out before the other end picks up if they are really busy.

thanks for the information DarrellP. I felt mine at the orginal setting which is highly compressed. So I guess I need to change it to fully dynamic (no compression).

You should notice a huge jump in dynamic range when you change it to None. Much more Boom-Boom.

I turned off my compression and man my system sounded a lot better. Thanks for the tip about that setting darrellp.

VOOMING & BOOMING NOW!!!

jimmykce1 said:
I turned off my compression and man my system sounded a lot better. Thanks for the tip about that setting darrellp.

VOOMING & BOOMING NOW!!!
Glad to hear it! No pun intended. ;)

Here's an observation that I've made regarding the audio compression settings; please confirm if this is your experience--

The settings seem to only effect the ANALOG outputs of the receiver----digital outputs seem to stay unchanged. I have analog L and R RCA connections going to the audio inputs on my set so that I can hear the audio if I don't want to fire up my Sony Surround Sound receiver. The digital output that I use for my Sony is the optical one---haven't tried the coax digital for comparison--

Anyway, switching between compressed and not compressed brings a large change in the analog sound coming from the TV---but doesn't seem to change anything in the digital optical output---

Ferdy

I am using a Sony ES receiver with an optical for sound and did notice a difference when I went to no compression.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts