Audio drop outs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
We are in a period of extreme solar activity --

Spaceweather.com reports the following:

"A coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field at approximately 12:15 UT on Sept. 26th. The impact caused significant ground currents in Norway. Also, the Goddard Space Weather Lab reports a "strong compression of Earth's magnetosphere. Simulations indicate that solar wind plasma [has penetrated] close to geosynchronous orbit starting at 13:00UT." Geosynchronous satellites could therefore be directly exposed to solar wind plasma and magnetic fields. Stay tuned for updates. "

Could this explain the dropouts?

I don't think so, really, because this problem has been going on for nearly 10 months now. Sure, a CME could be contribute to the ongoing problem, but the problem that started in late January has not been resolved, but has been continuing (as I said) 10 months now...

Came late to this thread (after 203) I noticed audio drop outs after a program has gone to a commercial and then came back ( a sec or two) Is this the issue?

Came late to this thread (after 203) I noticed audio drop outs after a program has gone to a commercial and then came back ( a sec or two) Is this the issue?

For me, no, that's not the issue. Example: I'll be watching a movie on one of the premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc, etc.) and a character will be talking. In the middle of a sentence, the character says "Guaranteed". Sometimes (it doesn't happen all the time. It's entirely random.) Instead of hearing "guaranteed", I hear guar..teed" the "an" gets dropped. The time it takes the character to say the word is the same, so it's not a skip, it's an audio drop-out. It happens on both my home theater system and the TV, so it's not the audio output device. It happens mainly on HD movie channels, but I've heard it on my HD locals as well, during network shows and sports. I haven't heard it on the HD news channels or The Weather Channel.

I'd sure like to see this get resolved...

I fixed the drop out problem at my place. If you use HDMI to the TV, can't see it would work. Component to the TV and optical sound from Dish receiver to my Onkyo receiver, receiver to speakers. By changing the sound to left/right fixed the problem. Left/right out of Dish to left/right in on Onkyo and drop out no more. True, you don't have 5.1 sound on these "bad sound" channels, but it fixed the break up.

RT.

I believe I was having the same problem today with my 722. I found that on programs that had Dolby 5.1 soundtracks, the front channel was not playing. You could hear music and sound effects, but no dialog since that is primarily on the front channel. I remember having this problem once before and power cycling my 622 fixed the problem, but this time it didn't. What worked for me was unplugging then reconnecting the HDMI cable going from my 722 to the TV. Audio working fine again.

We are in a period of extreme solar activity --

Spaceweather.com reports the following:

"A coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field at approximately 12:15 UT on Sept. 26th. The impact caused significant ground currents in Norway. Also, the Goddard Space Weather Lab reports a "strong compression of Earth's magnetosphere. Simulations indicate that solar wind plasma [has penetrated] close to geosynchronous orbit starting at 13:00UT." Geosynchronous satellites could therefore be directly exposed to solar wind plasma and magnetic fields. Stay tuned for updates. "

Could this explain the dropouts?
Nope wouldn't be the problem That may knock out the entire satellite but not just the audio.

I'm the OP. Back then the audio drop outs would last several seconds. It's been quite awhile since I've had a drop out. Some of us think there was some bug in the last software roll out. For the 722 it was L676. Last night I got L677 in preparation for the Blockbuster@home roll out. Time will tell.

I'm the OP. Back then the audio drop outs would last several seconds. It's been quite awhile since I've had a drop out. Some of us think there was some bug in the last software roll out. For the 722 it was L676. Last night I got L677 in preparation for the Blockbuster@home roll out. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Yes, an update from Dish would be great. This issue needs to be resolved.

It turns out that Dish is blaming the provider for the dropouts so I doubt the DVR can be patched to fix it.

Here is a message I received from Matt earlier in the year:
I've escalated this before. They were able to find a problem on HBO and Starz, and the problem was found to be on the provider's end. I was told that HBO/STZ are working with their hardware vendors to get a software update that will fix the issue, but no ETA was given

Drop out problem finally and completely solved here with the application of a new software version for my Sony Bravia TV... Not a dish problem at all. The HDMI input was not agreeing with the Dish box with respect to Dolby decoding. Also the 2 second pause before the sound came back after changing channels went away as well.

It happens here with a 622, HDMI only, since Optical sound to stereo is OK. Pressing any key (usually pause then resume) on 622 remote clears it up for a while. Also OTA channels (especially HD PBS) freeze momentarily when recording and playing back then skip back to real time thus skipping part of program broadcast during skip. When backing over skipped portions, they play ok for a while, and then skip at other points.

Okay, I'll check for a firmware update for my Sammy and see if there is one, and if so, apply it and see if that fixes the problem (I'm skeptical).

Funny thing though: watching movies stored on one of my EHD's that were recorded prior to January of 2011 have zero audio dropouts...

Audio drops after move to eastern arc

I was recently moved from119/110/61.5 to eastern arc this week. I have a good signal for the satellite but now we are regularly getting audio drop outs on many channels (locals, scifi, discovery, etc). I have a 622 connected to a LG TV via HDMI which sorts the audio and sends it to my Kenwood receiver. If I use the kenwood receiver it loses sync with the audio feed and makes a large drop-out. If I listen via the TV speakers I get very garbled audio and a heavy bass hum during the drop-outs. Interesting thing is that if you go back 8 seconds with a DVR sometimes the audio in that section will work but other spots that were just fine will now drop-out or be garbled. Nothing else changed except the satellite switch. I have had this 622 for 4 years with no issues or problem prior to this. Anyone have any ideas why the audio signal would now be messed up?

I'd lik to revive this.

I have a 722k that runs to Sony Bravia HDTV via HDMI cable. The 722k is a month old; the TV is from few years ago.

This problem has occured maybe 6 times in the last month, since I got dish.

The audio kind of sputters and then cuts off. The audio comes back when I change the channel and change it back. Or if I pause live TV and press play again.

This problem is not unique to any particular channel and, aside from this problem, audio and video is excellent on all channels.

Is this a problem with my DVR, the software, or my TV?

I had a cust with 2 Sony bravias, kdl-50's I think, did the same thing. We ended up finally fixing the issue by getting a software update from Sony for the tv's! Only an issue through hdmi, sound from composites was ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)