Audio gets out of snyc.... Help!

Riker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I have a joey and hopper and the joey that is a wired connection, looses audio sync. Happens all the time, usually when watching live tv after a commercial the audio is not in sync with video. Happens sometimes on recorded tv also. The way I get it to re-sync is too back the recording then fast forward to live tv. It then will happen again.
Any help. Dish just wants me to unplug the power. Crazy. I get no answers from them
Its plugged directly into the tv brand new sharp 3d tv.

Three kinds of REBOOT you need to know when using any DISH receiver.

1. Smart card reboot- pull the smart card out of the slot of the receiver ( if you have a smart card) and re-insert.

2. Soft reset: Red button or power button reset- push the power button or red button on the receiver and hold till you see the receiver reboot.

3. Hard reset: pull the plug and wait for a minute and re-plug it back in. This works best for just about all audio/video synch problems and any other weird problems.

The bonus reboot method on the hopper is the reset button on the menu of you hopper. Hit menu, settings,diagnostics and then RESET RECEIVER tile. This works like the soft reset for the red button or power button method, except you don't have to get up out of the chair and go over to the receiver itself. If you have DISH you need to get used to doing these resets , in order to clear up any problems that can be fixed, that aren't just software related problems. Those software problems sometimes take more time, when DISH actually gets around to fixing them.

I have a joey and hopper and the joey that is a wired connection, looses audio sync. Happens all the time, usually when watching live tv after a commercial the audio is not in sync with video. Happens sometimes on recorded tv also. The way I get it to re-sync is too back the recording then fast forward to live tv. It then will happen again.
Any help. Dish just wants me to unplug the power. Crazy. I get no answers from them

First how do you have it connected, you said directly into the tv but with what kind of cable?
Second, have you checked the setting with the tv?
Third, since the post with mike what results did you have?

Yep, hard reset is the way to go. Went to a tc today, the TV2 off a 922 had a high pitched ringing noise. Carried a different TV to that location, same thing. Unplugged receiver for maybe ten seconds, after the reboot everything was good.

I can't remember the last time I rebooted my receiver.

You must be spending large quantities of time away from home if you aren't seeing any problems. I have to reboot my hopper at least once or twice a week at the minimum. IN fact my sound from my a/v receiver is cutting out as we speak. Time to do another reboot.

Reactions: gizbug
You must be spending large quantities of time away from home if you aren't seeing any problems. I have to reboot my hopper at least once or twice a week at the minimum. IN fact my sound from my a/v receiver is cutting out as we speak. Time to do another reboot.
Your Hopper must need replacing, I record and watch 30 - 40 hours a week and I haven't rebooted my Hopper since sometime last year.

Your Hopper must need replacing, I record and watch 30 - 40 hours a week and I haven't rebooted my Hopper since sometime last year.
I rebooted mine the other night, I think for the first time since I upgraded to HWS around February, and only because the PTAT tuner was hosed from signal repeatedly going in and out due to storms. This was my primary TV HWS, used daily.

In 2+ years of Hopper/HWS, I've never had to pull the plug, very occasionally resorted to a red button reboot. This last time was through the menus.

But remember the unit does reboot on a regular basis due to the nightly maintenance.

Test on another TV before doing anything else - verify its not the new TV cause I've seen this several times after other techs replace joeys and cable when it has nothing to do with the dish system.

Because see this : --

My first question on every service call no matter what "What did you change last?" and people would fight me tooth and nail for a correct answer cause they didn't want to be looked at as stupid for some odd reason.

Nope, I too record and watch about 30-40 hours a week between the 3 members of my family.

Hopper 2000 and HopperWS, rarely have to reboot either - month or more between reboots - can't remember the last problem I had with one.

Well I guess I am just a little more picky about glitches and my first response was to pull the plug and reset it. I've also had the original dishplayer unit in 99 that had nothing but problems, the 921 pvr that was on a switch plug so I could easily turn it on and off for power ,because that receiver had to be constantly rebooted to get it to work period. The 922 dvr was one of the worst receivers that I have ever had and was in constant need of reboots as well. So after all those buggy receivers, I guess I am more in tune for the need to reboot the hopper ,when I see audio/video problems that are out of the norm.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It's hooked up via hdmi. I'd be having to unplug the unit several times a day if that was the answer. I've been sent replacement units of both Hopper and Joey. When the Hopper first came out it wasn't an issue. Then they updated it and the problem showed up. Took several months of dealing with the back button a few times then forward back to live tv and it was fixed several times a day until they came out with an update. Then it was fixed for several months or a year maybe. It wasn't until an update that came out and it started again. Gone through the round of new equipment again and still doing it. Nothing has changed in my home If it was equipment and not the firmware update, why would it happen after a commerical break all the time? It would be all the time or after a period of time it would slowly get out of sync. Very annoying.
No one else having this problem?

Test on another TV before doing anything else - verify its not the new TV cause I've seen this several times after other techs replace joeys and cable when it has nothing to do with the dish system.

Because see this : --

My first question on every service call no matter what "What did you change last?" and people would fight me tooth and nail for a correct answer cause they didn't want to be looked at as stupid for some odd reason.

Did you try another TV yet to that Joey?

It would be all the time or after a period of time it would slowly get out of sync. Very annoying. No one else having this problem?
Not me. Never had that problem. Primary TV is connected component and primary PC is connected HDMI and often have both running the same time and audio always in sync .

Still having this problem even with new hopper. Wondering if it is a slow out of sync prob with my sharp 3d 70 inch tv?
Anyone else having this prob with this tv?

Just to be clear, when you say out of sync you mean that the audio is either behind or ahead of the video and stays that way, right? Like watching a movie where they dubbed in a different language and the mouth movements never match up. I've had this happen a few times in the past, but not recently. And always with recorded shows, not live TV from what I can remember. As I mentioned, the few times it happened I think I just suffered through the 1/2 to 1 second delay for the recording.

Reason I ask is that for me one of the problems I've been having that no update by Dish seems to fix is an annoying audio dropout of a split second where the audio is in perfect sync with the video but just goes silent. Drives me and my wife nuts especially when there is an important dialog point. This comes and goes, recorded programs and live TV. My solution (which doesn't always work) is to use the rewind button (not the skip back 10 sec.) and rewind a few seconds or so then resume playback from that point. If you have to fast forward or skip ahead the problems reoccurs and you have to do the rewind trick. Sometimes a hard reset solves the problem completely for a while (Hopper w/Sling).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)