Status
Please reply by conversation.

TimLones111

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Canton, Ohio
Hello:
In reading about the new C-Band PBS HD, there was also discussion about the 125W Ku PBS channels which I can get picture but not the AC3 audio..It just occured to me that a fairly new 26" Insignia TV I bought might have an Input for this that I didnt notice or see before..Looking at the back there was nothing to indicate AC3 audio, but I did see a white "audio" jack right beside the VGA port (I use the TV as a computer monitor)..Would this be for audio directly from the computer to the monitor using the TV speakers?..If so, could this replace regular computer speakers?..Also, what kind of jack would I need for the connection?

could this replace regular computer speakers? Quite possibly.
Also, what kind of jack would I need for the connection? Cables plugs would have to match the spkr out on the computer on one end, and match the audio input of the monitor, on the other.
On the PBS Feeds, Have you tried selecting another audio stream, If I remember correctly, correction, just checked, they have 3 mpeg audio as well as 1 AC3 audio stream on the HD. Mpeg audio x2 on the SD.

Sorry, I must have been "speed Reedin'" and skipped right over where you said PBS on Ku. For those channels I used a Sonic Voom with my 3500. Instead of using the headphones, I just plugged in a 1/8 in. stereo plug wired to RCA plugs, and plugged that into my TV/monitor. If your TV has S/PDIF input, that will/should work if your receiver has the same S/PDIF output.

Next to the vga inputs of both my Toshiba & Vizio LCD TVs are audio input jacks, but these are the standard mini-plug connection not RCA 'phono jack' type.
Unless it says SPDIF or digital next to the 'RCA' jack it would be good to look at the jack more closely with a flashlight. An RCA plug will fit but they're actually stereo mini-jacks.
The Toshiba will accept "hdmi" digital sound input thru this jack or stereo analog.

Like Fat Air & others here I use the Sonic Voom for AC3 from the stb to the TV with a mini-plug to RCA adapter.

Hi TimLones111 :)

"Hello:
In reading about the new C-Band PBS HD, there was also discussion about the 125W Ku PBS channels which I can get picture but not the AC3 audio..It just occured to me that a fairly new 26" Insignia TV I bought might have an Input for this that I didnt notice or see before..Looking at the back there was nothing to indicate AC3 audio, but I did see a white "audio" jack right beside the VGA port (I use the TV as a computer monitor)..Would this be for audio directly from the computer to the monitor using the TV speakers?..If so, could this replace regular computer speakers?..Also, what kind of jack would I need for the connection?"

I did a quick look online at an Insignia 26" TV. Yes that white jack is for the audio from your computer to your tv. If my memory is correct VGA ports are video signal only so another connector is needed for audio. Unfortunately most tv's do not include an AC3 decoder. AC3 is a type of surround sound system so you need a decoder for it. It looks like your TV does not decode AC3. It does have an optical spdif OUTPUT but you need an input. Therfore i would recommend you go the Sonic Voom decoder route.
Yes you can play regular stereo audio using your tv's speakers. your tv probably has a "SRS TruSurround HD sound system: Provides a theater-like surround-sound experience, with clearer dialog and the enhanced bass sounds." it takes regular stereo audio and fakes a surround sound. I certainly haven't found that 2 tv speakers provide anything like a theater experience. more like a gimmick.

Hi TimLones111 :)

"I did a quick look online at an Insignia 26" TV. Yes that white jack is for the audio from your computer to your tv. If my memory is correct VGA ports are video signal only so another connector is needed for audio. Unfortunately most tv's do not include an AC3 decoder. AC3 is a type of surround sound system so you need a decoder for it. It looks like your TV does not decode AC3. It does have an optical spdif OUTPUT but you need an input. Therfore i would recommend you go the Sonic Voom decoder route.
Yes you can play regular stereo audio using your tv's speakers. your tv probably has a "SRS TruSurround HD sound system: Provides a theater-like surround-sound experience, with clearer dialog and the enhanced bass sounds." it takes regular stereo audio and fakes a surround sound. I certainly haven't found that 2 tv speakers provide anything like a theater experience. more like a gimmick.

beavs:
Thanks for taking the time to check into that. I think I have a 1/8th inch plug that should work..I am well aware of the "Sonic Voom" option for AC3 Audio..I could have looked this up online if I had thought of it, or even looked at my own documentation, but thanks again..I do appreciate it..

I think that all modern (ATSC) TVs MUST be able to decode AC3, if it is a TV and not just a monitor, since the ATSC audio is AC3 by default.

Also, most TVs have a digital audio port, however the digital audio port on most TVs is an output (to an audio system) not an input.

Anyway, I'd check your manual to see if that is an output or an input. If it's an input, it might work, but if it's an output, it won't work.

I use my tv as a computer monitor as well. They make vga/audio cables and I bought mine here:
VGA Cables with Stereo Audio

If you have a vga cable already for video you can just use a "line" cable for audio which looks like it has a male headphone plug on each end. The cables from the website above just combine them.

What does this have to do with ac3 and pbs? Are you watching fta through your computer (with your tv as a monitor) and the sound comes out of the computer speakers when tuning pbs hd/ac3? If this is the case and ac3 is played on your speakers then using the cable above it would come out of your tv no problem. You are just making the tv a monitor and the tv speakers become computer speakers. The computer would do the decoding.

If you are watching fta on your computer and there is no sound coming out of the speakers then there will still be no sound on the tv.

If you are using a set top box to watch fta then I have no clue what you were question was in the first place.

Status
Please reply by conversation.