Audio problem - 622

Recently, maybe around the time I was "upgraded to TurboHD", some, not all, of my recorded programs began having very annoying audio "clipping". I think it is mostly with programs on Fox & ABC. I mostly record in HD. We hardly ever watch these stations live.

I spoke with tech support and was told they would replace the receiver. I would say okay, but I've got a bunch of programming on the internal HD plus two 500GB EHDs with a lot more. Replacing the receiver means I'll have to spend tons of time saving the programming for use with the new receiver. And in my mind there's a good chance this problem is another software issue so the new receiver won't help.

Has anyone else begun experiencing audio problems with a 622/722 recently?

Thanks
I would not suggest replacing your receiver. I went through the same scenario. Dish replaced my 722 and the problem remained. In the process I lost my saved programming. I also had lots of stuff on my EHD but those were transferrable after contacting Dish (I believe there was a EHD identification issue).

On the other posts regarding defragmentation:

I'm certain that my problem with audio dropouts was not a defragmentation issue. The aforementioned replacemant 722 continued the dropout problem immediately, so the HDD certainly was not fragmented.

The only fix that I have found is not a fix at all. I have switched my viewing habits to CBS, though I prefer ABC. Some Dish customers have swithched to DirecTV. Again, these are not fixes but Dish should take notice and at least acknowledge the problem in a general way to alert both their customers and their support people that this is not a hardware issue and that it will be rectified. If it doesn't or can't be fixed, then I will switch providers also. Most of us using this high-end technology are video/audiophiles and this substandard technology will not be tolerated for much longer.

The only fix that I have found is not a fix at all. I have switched my viewing habits to CBS, though I prefer ABC. Some Dish customers have swithched to DirecTV. Again, these are not fixes but Dish should take notice and at least acknowledge the problem in a general way to alert both their customers and their support people that this is not a hardware issue and that it will be rectified. If it doesn't or can't be fixed, then I will switch providers also. Most of us using this high-end technology are video/audiophiles and this substandard technology will not be tolerated for much longer.

I've concluded that it only happens on 720p (rather than 1080i) broadcasts, such as Fox & ABC. A "fix" I have been using when it is real bad is to watch on abc.com where many full espisodes of the shows are available. Unfortuneately access is not allowed when I'm in Mexico.

I've had my 722 for almost a year now, and I have the same problem with the audio breaking up that all of you have described. It only happens when I play back recordings of Jeopardy, Simpsons, King of the Hill, and Grey's Anatomy (all FOX and ABC). When I watch them live, I have no problems. But I did notice last night when I was watching Dancing w/the Stars (live), some commercials had broken up sound, but the show was fine. I'm on my third 722 receiver, and still have the same problem. The service tech is coming out this Friday. From what I see here, he won't have a clue what's wrong. I'll print out this thread and show it to him. I live near San Francisco

Last edited:
I live in Teller County Colorado and have the same problem with audio on ABC live and recorded. I do not get OTA and do not have any locals in HD. Very annoying and all i get from Dish is they are working on it.

No surprise, no answer from DISH yet. So much for being contacted in 72 hours.

WAKE UP PEOPLE !!! stop being lemings

A contract works both ways. If they can not hold up the contract terms it is null and void. I had a tech out to my house, which Dish charged me $29.00, and he had never heard of it and told me it was my non-dbs approved connectors? They sent out a new receiver (622) of course the same issue is happening. Every time I call the CSR has no idea what I am talking about, nor does the stupervisor. I told them to send me out two new 722's to replace my 622's to see if they will work or cancel the service. They asked where can they ship the return boxes to and when I would like the service disconnected? I am done, good bye, so long. Six months of not being able to use the DVR, unacceptable. At least acknowledge the problem! Real On Demand Here I come. I can not wait to get back to cable. At least I am trying to convince myself of that.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! JUMP UP AND DOWN ABOUT THIS PROBLEM!!!

The service tech came out and told me he's never heard of this problem. He called tech support and they said that they are aware of this problem, but don't have a resolution yet. I called Dish and got them to credit me back the local station charges since this started. I'll be asking for more credits until this is fixed. I suggest everybody do it - might get them to move faster. In the mean time, I drug out an old turnstile antenna I had and hooked it up to the antenna jack. Works great! I pull in all the network stations from 40 miles away with a signal strength of 80 or better. No more broken up sound, video is beautiful. Only bad thing is I can only record those shows to TV1. I'll see how it goes before I cancel Dish's local channels.

keep receiver pluged in

turn off both green light and blue light..... wait 15 min turn back on should be updated

This is all fixed with the newest software update L615. Sound doesn't break up at all anymore.

NOT TRUE!
In th St Louis market L615 was released a week ago (by zip code - see update thread). While the drops have improved on Fox and ABC, they were made MUCH worse on both CBS and NBC HD 1080i. Not only that, a "skip" has been introduced where the stream will freeze and sometimes pixellate. Sometimes it will then skip 5 to 10 seconds ahead, or sometimes just stop requiring you to exit the recorded program. This situation happens only on SAT CBS and NBC HD channels, and on both my 622 and 722. Dish has been notified, and has received other complaints about these issues.
Be careful what you wish for, right now, i'd be happy to go back to L614.

NOT TRUE!
In th St Louis market L615 was released a week ago (by zip code - see update thread). While the drops have improved on Fox and ABC, they were made MUCH worse on both CBS and NBC HD 1080i. Not only that, a "skip" has been introduced where the stream will freeze and sometimes pixellate. Sometimes it will then skip 5 to 10 seconds ahead, or sometimes just stop requiring you to exit the recorded program. This situation happens only on SAT CBS and NBC HD channels, and on both my 622 and 722. Dish has been notified, and has received other complaints about these issues.
Be careful what you wish for, right now, i'd be happy to go back to L614.

This is insane! Looking forward to Feb when I make the move back to Directv!

Ya, I have a new problem too. The picture is stretched. It isn't formatted to the screen properly anymore, kind of like when somebody e-mails you picture that has too much resolution. The little icon from the network sits halfway out of the picture, and everything appears bigger and less clear. All the inputs and viewing parameters on the tv are set properly. Dish is now sending me a 4th (%$#&*) receiver. By the way, I know somebody who has DirectTV, and he's having similar problems with the local HD.

It sounds like your aspect is in a zoom mode from the DVR. Press the Format button (lower left on your remote, with the asterisk) until you see 'Normal' on your TV.

It sounds like your aspect is in a zoom mode from the DVR. Press the Format button (lower left on your remote, with the asterisk) until you see 'Normal' on your TV.
Thanks, Bobby! That fixed it. But why, for the love of Pete, did the tech have a new dvr sent to me when all it was was a stupid button on the remote? They could lower their costs if it wasn't for all these blunders!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)