Audio / Video interference on two different receivers in two separate houses

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diablo900t

Original poster
May 26, 2008
I have a strange problem that has cropped up recently. Basically i'm getting a rolling horizontal purplish stripe going through the video on any channel, as well as an accompanying audio buzz (if I pause, I can still hear the buzz, but unplugging the audio inputs it goes away).

Here is the situation, on my property I have 1 dish that serves two separate houses, there is one receiver in each home, so from the dish I have a pair of coaxial cables going to each receiver in their respective house.

The issue is that the interference occurs on both receivers on two different televisions. Both TVs are using component cables, but I do not think that is the issue.

My only thought is that this is a bad LNB, or something to do with a bad ground on the dish. I've tried repositioning the ground wire without success. The interference comes and goes, sometimes its barely visible and doesn't have the audio interference, other times both.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I contact DirecTV to come out?

I would agree that it sounds like a bad ground or backfeed at the switch. Wouldn't waste too much more time before calling D* to come out. The only thing that I would be wary of is that this one dish is serving two houses. Are these both your houses on the same property/billing address? Or is this a neighbor's house and you guys are "sharing" the service? Did D* install it this way? If they did the install to two unique buildings, then no big deal; but if this is your handiwork, then you may want to disable the second house prior to D* coming out so you don't get in trouble.

DirecTV installed it this way, its two houses on the same property - same billing address.

I have a feeling its the ground. I noticed that both pairs of coax have a ground wire attached to them, do both pairs need to be grounded? The tech only grounded one near the dish.

I am not an installer or electrician, but I believe there needs to be a ground on the dish; and either in-line or separate, there should be a ground on the switch (if possible).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)